A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Matt's NY Pizza, by HammettJr  (Read 84299 times)

Offline sordomudo11

• Seeking Joe's at Home
Re: Matt's NY Pizza, by HammettJr
« Reply #1660 on: June 27, 2020, 07:44:00 PM »
Yes,  the Alta is a bit thinner. I guess the crushing process for 7/11 results in some water loss.

Interesting--thanks, Matt. So less a matter of differing texture (since the Alta Cucinas are obviously much coarser by definition) and more a matter of overall water in the can, maybe. If that's the case, I should just add a touch of water to my strained/milled 7/11s, as suggested above. Maybe I'll give it a shot.

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1661 on: June 27, 2020, 08:32:10 PM »
Interesting--thanks, Matt. So less a matter of differing texture (since the Alta Cucinas are obviously much coarser by definition) and more a matter of overall water in the can, maybe. If that's the case, I should just add a touch of water to my strained/milled 7/11s, as suggested above. Maybe I'll give it a shot.
Alti is much thinner by almost as a quart.  touch?   LOL

Offline sordomudo11

• Seeking Joe's at Home
« Reply #1662 on: June 27, 2020, 08:37:16 PM »

Patience with the newbie, please. ☺️ I've never seen any Stainislaus product but my brand-new can of 7/11s, so I'm going off second-hand information here. Just so that I understand, what do you mean by "thinner by a quart"? Is there a way to measure density of the two products? Are you dividing the respective weights of the can contents by their (same) volume?

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1663 on: June 27, 2020, 09:07:46 PM »

Maybe if the 7/11 was as is, but not when strained. Ive posted many pies with strained 7/11, its a thin sauce.
Matt

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1664 on: June 27, 2020, 09:17:09 PM »
Actually I swear on everything 6 in 1's DO have skins. I saw some and tasted it when I decided to inspect the sauce closely.
. I'm sorry... You are correct sir!!  🍕

I had it backwards.   :-[
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• We stand on the shoulders of giants.
« Reply #1665 on: June 28, 2020, 10:02:02 AM »
Yeah, and I find that surprising given they start out thicker and larger than 7/11s. Wonder why.
Alta Cucina's are whole

And their juices are that of a very thin puree, soupy
Pizza is about balance, nothing more nothing less

Offline sordomudo11

• Seeking Joe's at Home
« Reply #1666 on: June 28, 2020, 10:15:14 AM »
Alta Cucina's are whole

And their juices are that of a very thin puree, soupy

Right but given they're whole before milling or straining, I find it surprising that they would end up thinner than 7/11s when milled/strained, which start out ground already.

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• We stand on the shoulders of giants.
« Reply #1667 on: June 28, 2020, 10:43:05 AM »
Right but given they're whole before milling or straining, I find it surprising that they would end up thinner than 7/11s when milled/strained, which start out ground already.

Well those whole tomatoes are filled with tomato juices that are as thin as water.
Pizza is about balance, nothing more nothing less

Offline sordomudo11

• Seeking Joe's at Home
« Reply #1668 on: June 28, 2020, 11:18:59 AM »
Well those whole tomatoes are filled with tomato juices that are as thin as water.

K so less about the tomatoes themselves and more about the tomato:pure juice ratio. Got it. Thanks.

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1669 on: June 28, 2020, 03:58:22 PM »
Patience with the newbie, please. ☺️ I've never seen any Stainislaus product but my brand-new can of 7/11s, so I'm going off second-hand information here. Just so that I understand, what do you mean by "thinner by a quart"? Is there a way to measure density of the two products? Are you dividing the respective weights of the can contents by their (same) volume?
Ok here is what I have experienced.  711 is a crushed product so is Tomato Magic. I have more experience with Tomato Magic.  When I mill or strain Tomato Magic and add water to get it to the thin consistency that I prefer for NY I get just about 4 quarts of sauce from the number 10 can.  If I use Alti Cucina strain I get 3 quarts of sauce from the Number 10 can  since I do not have to add any water.  I have used both and not because I am cheap but I find the Tomato Magic to have believe it or not more aroma.  So you understand I really hate thick sauce.  I want my cheese and sauce to become one when cooked.  That is how I think a NY traditional pie at a slice joint as a kid was prepared.   Others have different ideas as to what NY Pie is supposed to look like.   Take your time try stuff and make what you like in the end.  As many people who are on this forum there are as many sauce recipes. 

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1670 on: June 28, 2020, 04:54:44 PM »
I once strained 7/11 and Tomato Magic side by side. My thoughts quoted below

I pushed 7/11 through the strainer, and the result had the same look and thinness of the pizzeria sauces I've purchased. It was awesome.
Last I decided it was time to crack open a small retail-size jar of Tomato Magic. Tasted so good out of the jar. The result after pushing it through the strainer was notably thicker and darker in color compared to the 7/11. It tasted very similar to the 7/11, maybe a little richer, but I liked them both equally. (Note that the 7/11 was previously frozen while the Tomato Magic was fresh.)

Matt

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1671 on: July 03, 2020, 03:27:11 PM »
tonight baking up 7-11 for the first time, out of the tin they are delicious but maybe not better than Sclafani crushed. Perhaps I'll purchase a can of scalfani tonight to taste them side by side...
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1672 on: July 03, 2020, 04:01:47 PM »
tonight baking up 7-11 for the first time, out of the tin they are delicious but maybe not better than Sclafani crushed. Perhaps I'll purchase a can of scalfani tonight to taste them side by side...

I loved Sclafani until I tried them after using 7/11 for a while. I'm interested to hear how your pie comes out.

BTW, you use some amount of cheddar, right? Do you also use a hard cheese?

Matt

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #1673 on: July 03, 2020, 04:49:50 PM »
I just bought a can of Tomato Magic to compare to 7/11's.
Hans

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1674 on: July 04, 2020, 09:18:58 PM »
I loved Sclafani until I tried them after using 7/11 for a while. I'm interested to hear how your pie comes out.

after one bake, I'd call 7/11 a cheat code for reproducing ny style. I suppose that's because so many nyc shops use 7/11. Photos here:
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26286.msg630158#msg630158

admittedly a small sample size but my sense is that I prefer 7/11 but not willing to make the 70-minute rt drive to restaurant depot vs 10 mins for scalfani.

BTW, you use some amount of cheddar, right? Do you also use a hard cheese?

I use 50% cheddar, 50% grande east coast blend. I add hard cheese to the sauce and add a different hard cheese post bake. as you know, I also strain the tomatoes.

here's an inside nyc joke matt, whenever I make sauce I think of a friend from queens who sings the l lyric "You like tomato, I like tomato" as " You like tomato, I like tomater"  :)

best,
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 09:30:09 PM by quietdesperation »
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1675 on: July 04, 2020, 09:35:51 PM »
Sclafani is nothing to brag about.  A second level marketeer who puts their name on anything for profit and does not stand by serious issues with bottled products.   IF YOU MAKE  30 products under your name you are not a supplier I would want to compare to tomato packers like STANISLAUS.
And I have personal experience with these creeps when I reported chards of stainless steel in a jar of vinegar peppers.   THEIR RESPONSE was Mob Like.   And I asked for nothing only to report the issue    Ass wholes
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 09:39:27 PM by Fiorot »

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1676 on: July 04, 2020, 09:38:41 PM »
aadmittedly a small sample size but my sense is that I prefer 7/11 but not willing to make the 70-minute rt drive to restaurant depot vs 10 mins for scalfani.
And all this time  I thought you were a purist.  ???

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1677 on: July 04, 2020, 09:42:13 PM »
I once strained 7/11 and Tomato Magic side by side. My thoughts quoted below
Where did you find a JAR of TM?

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1678 on: July 04, 2020, 10:15:44 PM »
after one bake, I'd call 7/11 a cheat code for reproducing ny style. I suppose that's because so many nyc shops use 7/11. Photos here:
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26286.msg630158#msg630158

Great stuff QD, I always enjoy seeing your pies.

Matt

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1679 on: July 04, 2020, 10:18:24 PM »
Where did you find a JAR of TM?

Pizzeria distributor on the queens/long island border had a small (seemingly old) little room with retail sized items. It was strange to find. They've since opened a proper retail space down the block, but don't have those jars.

Actually just searched and found the jars here:
https://www.sunshineinabottle.com/product/tomato-magic-ground-tomatoes/

« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 10:20:38 PM by hammettjr »
Matt

wordpress