A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Matt's NY Pizza, by HammettJr  (Read 84484 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Matt's NY Pizza, by HammettJr
« Reply #1680 on: July 04, 2020, 10:27:34 PM »
Pizzeria distributor on the queens/long island border had a small (seemingly old) little room with retail sized items. It was strange to find. They've since opened a proper retail space down the block, but don't have those jars.

Actually just searched and found the jars here:
https://www.sunshineinabottle.com/product/tomato-magic-ground-tomatoes/
.  Sunshine in a bottle.....I see y'all like hokey advertising too!!  🌻

Back in the day we enjoyed our Sunshine in little orange tablet form.  🌠
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 10:30:23 PM by Chicago Bob »
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1681 on: July 05, 2020, 11:47:59 AM »
Great stuff QD, I always enjoy seeing your pies.

thanks matt, I don't think we've seen one of your pies since may 17? are you taking a break?
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1682 on: July 05, 2020, 12:43:28 PM »
thanks matt, I don't think we've seen one of your pies since may 17? are you taking a break?

Never! A combination of not knowing where my camera wire was + not making so many wild changes that would be visible to the reader has led me stop posting every pie. But I did want to post my pie from last week (and I found the wire). (I'm planning some decent changes for tonight's pie, so we'll see.)

First bake using my Blackstone in a few years (driven by my air conditioner breaking). Given the Blackstone bake and the outdoor pictures, I wanted to post this.

I've been messing with my sauce amount and sauce ingredients/ratios. I really like using 3/4 cup sauce now for 14". (I was previously using 3/4 cup + 2 Tbs.) Still like fresh garlic microplaned. I'm on a break from raw onion, but want to try it again.

Matt

Offline nickyr

« Reply #1683 on: July 05, 2020, 06:06:56 PM »
And I have personal experience with these creeps when I reported chards of stainless steel in a jar of vinegar peppers.   THEIR RESPONSE was Mob Like.   And I asked for nothing only to report the issue    Ass wholes

Thatís how you know theyíre authentic New Jersey tomatoes!

Offline nickyr

« Reply #1684 on: July 05, 2020, 06:08:07 PM »
Never! A combination of not knowing where my camera wire was + not making so many wild changes that would be visible to the reader has led me stop posting every pie. But I did want to post my pie from last week (and I found the wire). (I'm planning some decent changes for tonight's pie, so we'll see.)

First bake using my Blackstone in a few years (driven by my air conditioner breaking). Given the Blackstone bake and the outdoor pictures, I wanted to post this.

I've been messing with my sauce amount and sauce ingredients/ratios. I really like using 3/4 cup sauce now for 14". (I was previously using 3/4 cup + 2 Tbs.) Still like fresh garlic microplaned. I'm on a break from raw onion, but want to try it again.
Looks good! Iíve missed seeing every bake :-)

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1685 on: July 05, 2020, 09:02:46 PM »
Looks good! Iíve missed seeing every bake :-)

^^^
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline nickyr

Matt's NY Pizza, by HammettJr
« Reply #1686 on: July 05, 2020, 10:56:48 PM »
Still making NY style very infrequently, but Iím getting closer to your beautiful appearance each time! If I had used a bit more semolina and stretched it more evenly (I was a little overproofed), that wouldíve helped. And a little more sugar. I did less than you which was a mistake. Definitely considering getting your potato grater too...Thanks for all the tips, as always!

Considering adding a little tomato paste to my sauce next time to get more tomato flavor even though the sauce is so thin.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 11:14:19 PM by nickyr »

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• We stand on the shoulders of giants.
« Reply #1687 on: July 06, 2020, 09:34:00 AM »
Matt, you ever try 50/50 Irish Cheddar and mozzarella?

I did on a previous pizza and it was fantastic
Pizza is about balance, nothing more nothing less

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1688 on: July 06, 2020, 08:04:10 PM »
Matt, you ever try 50/50 Irish Cheddar and mozzarella?

I did on a previous pizza and it was fantastic

I've never actually had Irish cheddar. Growing up in the northeast, Vermont cheddar is my typical choice.

As far as blending cheddar and mozz on pizza, I do it on my pan pizzas ("Greek" style) and like it a lot.

Last night, for the first time, I actually tried a bit of cheddar on my NY style (28% cheddar/72% mozz). But I also added in some romano, and I thought the romano overpowered the cheddar. I need to try it without the romano. These changes were inspired by the Papa Gino's thread. (Papa Gino's is a small chain out of Massachusetts, and is my earliest memory of pizza.)

Matt

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1689 on: July 20, 2020, 11:42:43 AM »
I'm 50-50 cheddar and mozz. I've tried Irish cheddar but always come back to cabot extra sharp. Cabot has a cult following in the US, BJs carries it in 1.5 pound blocks so a good price and it bakes up beautifully.

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #1690 on: July 20, 2020, 01:14:27 PM »
I'm 50-50 cheddar and mozz. I've tried Irish cheddar but always come back to cabot extra sharp. Cabot has a cult following in the US, BJs carries it in 1.5 pound blocks so a good price and it bakes up beautifully.

^^^

Cabot Seriously Sharp is my go-to to include in my pizza blend.
Hans

Offline sordomudo11

• Seeking Joe's at Home
« Reply #1691 on: July 20, 2020, 01:15:59 PM »
^^^

Now I'm intrigued by the notion of adding in some cheddar. I take it this is more of a home thing and highly unlikely to be found in a NY slice shop, correct?

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #1692 on: July 20, 2020, 01:46:15 PM »
Now I'm intrigued by the notion of adding in some cheddar. I take it this is more of a home thing and highly unlikely to be found in a NY slice shop, correct?

I think that most NYC shops use Grande/Grande ECB alone. I generally blend for all pizza that I make at home.
Hans

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1693 on: July 20, 2020, 01:57:36 PM »

we have a place in town that blends cheddar but the pizza isn't very good.  I beleive Norma won the caputo cup with 100% cheddar, that was a good enough reason for me to give it a try.

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1694 on: July 20, 2020, 07:14:05 PM »

Yeah, I dont think its used in NY. It is used in NJ Boardwalk pizza, however, which is quite good. It's a mild cheddar and most people won't notice it. Some pics I took here:
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=9068.msg494060#msg494060

While I like cheddar, I'm going to stick with mozz for my NY, and keep the cheddar for my pan pizzas only.

Matt

Offline sordomudo11

• Seeking Joe's at Home
« Reply #1695 on: July 20, 2020, 08:52:50 PM »
Matt, pursuant to some of our discussions (and others elsewhere on the forum) about the effect of heat "type" on the finished pie, I made my first pies in a proper wood-burning oven yesterday. It was a fun challenge to build and tend the fire, move it around to properly heat the whole oven, etc. The results were a revelation. The pie bubbled for a bit upon extraction from the oven and the crust (used All Trumps; 24-hr cold ferment) was just incredible: crisp on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside. They don't look perfect in the photos, but they were *incredible*. It really makes me want to get a dedicated pizza oven--ideally a Baker's Pride gas one.

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #1696 on: July 20, 2020, 09:34:14 PM »
^^^

We never have less than one block.  I've only ever used it for Detroit.  Pizza season doesn't start up again until October.
John

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #1697 on: July 20, 2020, 09:43:59 PM »
...They don't look perfect in the photos, but they were *incredible*. It really makes me want to get a dedicated pizza oven--ideally a Baker's Pride gas one.

The pies look great. I hope you get the Baker's Pride, inspire me!

Edit: Do you know the bake time on those pies?

« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 09:46:03 PM by hammettjr »
Matt

Offline RHawthorne

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1698 on: July 20, 2020, 11:39:53 PM »
It really makes me want to get a dedicated pizza oven--ideally a Baker's Pride gas one.
What makes you think you need a different oven? You said yourself that your pizzas tasted incredible, and they certainly look great.
If we're not questioning the reason for our existence, then what the hell are we doing here?!

Offline sordomudo11

• Seeking Joe's at Home
« Reply #1699 on: July 21, 2020, 12:12:10 AM »
What makes you think you need a different oven? You said yourself that your pizzas tasted incredible, and they certainly look great.

Oh, because these weren't baked in my oven. :-) We were at an airbnb this weekend and it happened to have one (which was part of the attraction). Huge difference compared to the pies baked in my home (consumer gas) oven.