A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: So the World will end, Pick 8 NY pizzerias in 2 days to eat. what's your choice  (Read 4228 times)

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
If you are going to fundamentally change the question, why limit yourself to NYC? Or even this planet for that matter...

I wasn't necessarily limiting myself to nyc. That said, I wouldn't want to waste any of my last 48 hours on a plane and I certainly wouldn't waste it eating pizza.
John

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
In that case, me either. I want to drink myself to death on Romulan ale.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
I was always disappointed harry didn't post his favorites. He did eventually post them on another site, I hope he doesn't mind the cross-post here.

My son is working on a political campaign on staten island and asked for our help today, so we're off to stand in the rain and monitor a polling site  :o Still, it will be fun to finally try staten island pizza, one of harry's recommendations is close by.

Manhattan: Plain pie at John's of Bleecker, Half plain/half clam pie or garbage pie at Denino's, Half plain/half pepperoni or vodka pie at Rubirosa, Squares at Rizzo's Fine Pizza, Patsy's in Harlem, long pie at Numero28 in West Village. Slices at NY Suprema, Sacco, Fiore's, P&M Classic Pizza in Harlem, Como Pizza in Washington Heights.

Queens: Slices at New Park Pizzeria, Margherita, Lucia, Amore, Lillian, Dani's. The upside down Sicilian square and a pepperoni pinwheel at Rosa's in Maspeth or Astoria, Grandma slice at Louie's, Sicilian square at Alfie's

Bronx: Sam's Pizza on 232 W. 231st St., Tommy's on Tremont Ave, Louie & Ernie's, Frank's in Country Club, Yankee J-Z Pizza in Soundview, Ivana's Pizzeria in Belmont, Pugley's.

Brooklyn: Squares at L&B Spumoni, DiFara. Slices at Luigi's, Pizza Wagon, Sicilian at J&V Pizzeria.

Staten Island: Joe and Pats/Pier76, Denino's, Lee's Tavern, Mimmo's, the Ciro Special, Sfincione Sicilian pizza at DOUGH
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 11:13:13 AM by quietdesperation »
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline Pizza Shark

• I Love Pizza!
Again, no particular order, (and yes, I've been to Patsy's in Harlem and left them off the list)

1) Juliana's
2) Luzzo's
3) New Park
4) Best
5) Prince St.
6) Williamsburg on Union
7) John's
8] Johnny's (have not been, but if it's what I expect it to be, it likely would have been on my other list).

Is this the Johnny's Pizza you are talking about (in Brooklyn)?  If so, this would be on my list.

http://www.johnnyspizzeria.com/ 

An ex girl friend of mine's father was a NY cab driver for several years who lived in Brooklyn and he swore by this place.  I could eat here every day (although it has been 20 years).  When I think about what an old school, unchanged, NY neighborhood pizza place should look like and offer - This place fit the bill. 

The photos posted on Yelp are eye candy and the place hasn't changed a bit from what I can see (other than a flat screen TV screwed into the wall back in the little dining area). 

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/johnnys-pizzeria-brooklyn-2
« Last Edit: November 06, 2018, 05:53:43 PM by Pizza Shark »

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
^ no, itís johnnyís in mt Vernon. Jeff versano has it rated number one in the world on his website. I live about 45 minutes away but havenít made it there yet.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 10:08:39 AM by quietdesperation »
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Deninos was 5 mins from the polling site, we decided to take Harryís suggestion of half cheese and half garbage. Pizza was delicious, tf btw .06 and .07, the garbage slices were really interesting, the combination, placement and amount of toppings all worked harmoniously.

On another note, my son was a field manager for a house campaign, his candidate was an underdog but ended up winning! Now to see if he gets a job as an aide!

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
garbage pie!  :drool: With that thickness (or is that thinness?) I might just mow down that whole thing  :-D
the proof is in the pizza

Offline CIZ28

• Pizza Purist
Johnnyís Mt. Vernon (Fantastic all around!)
Juliannaís
Totonnoís
Johnís Bleecker
Grimaldiís Brooklyn
Patsyís Harlem (Way too thin but great taste)
Lombardiís
DiFara
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 02:02:12 PM by CIZ28 »
"If it's not well done, it ain't done well."

Offline jvp123

• Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
Johnnyís Mt. Vernon (Fantastic all around!)
Juliannaís
Totonnoís
Johnís Bleecker
Grimaldiís Brooklyn
Patsyís Harlem (Way too thin but great taste)
Lombardiís
DiFara

I like this list!
Jeff

Offline NY_Mike

• I Love Pizza!
I'm a Long Island guy so there's a few less knowns on this list but:

1) Patsy's (Brooklyn)
2) Lucali
3) Little Vincents
4) Keste
5) Johns of Bleecher
6) Emmet's
7) Branchinelli's
8 ) Massa's

Offline wotavidone

• Supporting Member
  • A pizza is not a pie
garbage pie!  :drool: With that thickness (or is that thinness?) I might just mow down that whole thing  :-D
As I have stated more than once, I've never had a NY pizza. Until now, the pictures I've seen have not made me feel like I'm missing anything. Usually they look downright unappetising to me, particularly the crust.
But, I reckon I'd be keen to try that there garbage! That looks real good.

Edit: looking back to when I joined the forum umpteen years ago, I used to think that NY style described the sort of pizza I liked at the time.
Now, I like to call me pizzas Nearlypolitan.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 06:03:42 PM by wotavidone »
Mick

Offline CIZ28

• Pizza Purist
"If it's not well done, it ain't done well."

Offline mikep

• I Love Pizza!
I am a New Yorker.

Ribalta 12 Street NYC, pie: DOC Neapolitan wood oven-WOW
Nino's, Bayridge, Pie: Grandma's-WOW
Giove's, Staten Island. pie: Margherita -WOW
Zero Otto Nove, Arthur Ave, Bronx. pie: Margherita
DOUGH by Licastri, Staten Island. pie: L&B Style Square-WOW
Totonno's, Coney Island, Brooklyn. pie: Margherita
DaVinci's, 18th Ave, Brooklyn. pie: Sicilian fresh from ove....wait for it
Europa, 20th Ave, Brooklyn. pie: Capricciosa

« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 07:36:55 PM by mikep »

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Mike, great list, but not sure if you saw reply 3, itís ny style, deck or coal.

Best,

Offline mikep

• I Love Pizza!
Thanks, Quiet.
Not sure any of my choices fit. Never mind. lol

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Mike, all good, as I said, that's a great list. The point of my post was to prod you to post another list because I'm sure that's gonna be great too!

going off topic for a moment, is embers in bay ridge still good?

Offline mikep

• I Love Pizza!
 Was there about a year ago and was still  very good .

Offline natonic

• I Love Pizza!
I know the Manhattan scene very well. In Brooklyn, I've only had Di Fara and Grimaldi's. Haven't tried any in the other Boros.

1) NY Pizza Suprema - regular slice, and upside down - both superb
2) Di Fara
3) Prince Street - Spicy Spring
4) John's of Bleeker
5) Sauce Pizzeria
6) Joe's
7) Grimaldi's
8) Roberta's (the Midtown east one)

Offline jvp123

• Trying to make my perfect pizza ...
I know the Manhattan scene very well. In Brooklyn, I've only had Di Fara and Grimaldi's. Haven't tried any in the other Boros.

1) NY Pizza Suprema - regular slice, and upside down - both superb
2) Di Fara
3) Prince Street - Spicy Spring
4) John's of Bleeker
5) Sauce Pizzeria
6) Joe's
7) Grimaldi's
8) Roberta's (the Midtown east one)

Nice list!  :chef:
Jeff

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member