A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Focaccia alla Pugliese - POTATO FLATBREAD FROM PUGLIA  (Read 830 times)

Offline mitchjg

Focaccia alla Pugliese - POTATO FLATBREAD FROM PUGLIA
« on: April 06, 2018, 04:24:59 PM »
I made this recipe from Carol Field's "The Italian Baker" which was originally published in 1985 and revised in 2011. 

It is thicker than most focaccia - the thickness factor for the recipe is 0.30.  Instead of 2 9" pans, I used my 14" (13.5 on the bottom) Lloydpan which brought it "all the way" (hah!) down to 0.26.  About 1 1/4" inches thick.

It also has potato in it which brings a lot of tenderness/creaminess to the crumb. 

This may have been our best yet.  We are planning to have it with soup and some meats&cheeses tonight but could not wait for it to cool completely.

Yum!

« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 09:58:17 AM by mitchjg »
Mitch

“We hate math,” says 4 in 10 – a majority of Americans

Offline Little bean

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • DiLauro’s Pizzeria
Re: Focaccia alla Pugliese - POTATO FLATBREAD FROM PUGLIA
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 04:54:27 PM »
Mitch, this is awesome, you just made me so happy seeing this, when I used to work at a New York style pizzeria a couple years back they used to put some instant potato in the scicilian dough, would this be similar to that, how do you think the recipe would stand up to being topped scicilian style, very interested to hear your process and thoughts on this. It really looks great.

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 05:21:51 PM »
Looks, and I'm sure, tasted great.

Offline mitchjg

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 05:53:32 PM »
Mitch, this is awesome, you just made me so happy seeing this, when I used to work at a New York style pizzeria a couple years back they used to put some instant potato in the scicilian dough, would this be similar to that, how do you think the recipe would stand up to being topped scicilian style, very interested to hear your process and thoughts on this. It really looks great.

I don't know, but I think it is worth trying.  It may go in the opposite direction from what some people seek.  I would think it reduces the chewiness of the pizza and it makes it softer overall.  For example, this is part of Carol Field,s description of this focaccia:
“About 1¼ inches high with what looks like a dense breadlike texture, this focaccia is actually as light as cake when you eat it.”

I did a quick and dirty search in the forum and there is a smattering of discussions about potato being included in dough.  Here is one for a Sicilian dough: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=1073.msg43478#msg43478

I was thinking about this and, perhaps what I would do is use at least some bread flour or high gluten flour (instead of all purpose) and, of course, cut the thickness factor way back - probably knock it in 1/2.

When you worked at the pizzeria, what did you notice about the impact of the instant potato?  Was their pizza good?  Was it, in fact, more "tender"?

Looks, and I'm sure, tasted great.

Thanks!  Looking forward to dinner tonight, etc.!

I also want to see how fresh it stays over time.  I think the potato will likely help preserve it a bit better.
Mitch

Offline Little bean

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • DiLauro’s Pizzeria
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 06:04:31 PM »
I don't know, but I think it is worth trying.  It may go in the opposite direction from what some people seek.  I would think it reduces the chewiness of the pizza and it makes it softer overall.  For example, this is part of Carol Baker's description of this focaccia:
“About 1¼ inches high with what looks like a dense breadlike texture, this focaccia is actually as light as cake when you eat it.”

I did a quick and dirty search in the forum and there is a smattering of discussions about potato being included in dough.  Here is one for a Sicilian dough: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=1073.msg43478#msg43478

I was thinking about this and, perhaps what I would do is use at least some bread flour or high gluten flour (instead of all purpose) and, of course, cut the thickness factor way back - probably knock it in 1/2.

When you worked at the pizzeria, what did you notice about the impact of the instant potato?  Was their pizza good?  Was it, in fact, more "tender"?

Thanks!  Looking forward to dinner tonight, etc.!

I also want to see how fresh it stays over time.  I think the potato will likely help preserve it a bit better.
yes very tender and very light

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2018, 06:12:33 PM »
Mitch,

Looks very good!  Focaccia is a passion of mine (made a Genovese type one today with cherry tomatoes) but the Pugliese style is also iconic.  Did you use some semolina rimacinata?  The added potato is common in many parts of Italy and I believe that potato flakes can be used as a replacement provided an adjustment is made to the hydration rate.

Rolls
"I'm sure it's good... I just have the palate of a toddler."   - DreamingOfPizza

Offline mitchjg

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2018, 06:20:45 PM »
Mitch,

Looks very good!  Focaccia is a passion of mine (made a Genovese type one today with cherry tomatoes) but the Pugliese style is also iconic.  Did you use some semolina rimacinata?  The added potato is common in many parts of Italy and I believe that potato flakes can be used as a replacement provided an adjustment is made to the hydration rate.

Rolls

It was just King Arthur All Purpose flour.  I did see a few recipes online that included semolina but I tend to follow a recipe very closely the first time out and then start doing my own thing - so maybe next time.

I would imagine potato flakes would do just fine and probably be easier to manage.  They hydration level/feel with real potatoes is a little bit of a crap shoot compared to what it must be like with potato flakes.  If nothing else, neater and faster with fewer kitchen stuff to clean.

Now, if I could figure out what they to make the focaccia in the San Francisco Ligurian Bakery, I would be all set..................
Mitch

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 08:13:34 PM »
Now, if I could figure out what they to make the focaccia in the San Francisco Ligurian Bakery, I would be all set..................

They must be doing something right, being in business so long and selling out every day.  Their focaccia looks very tender, probably because of the solid aluminum pans would be my guess.

Rolls
"I'm sure it's good... I just have the palate of a toddler."   - DreamingOfPizza

Offline mitchjg

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 11:00:25 PM »
Made another one today.  I used a different flour - Central Milling Artisan Baker's Craft.  Potato in focaccia is definitely a good thing.

Mitch

Offline jsaras

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 11:01:59 PM »
Made another one today.  I used a different flour - Central Milling Artisan Baker's Craft.  Potato in focaccia is definitely a good thing.

Yeah it is!
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

wordpress