A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Tonda Romana  (Read 1687 times)

Online Matthew

Tonda Romana
« on: April 11, 2018, 06:14:26 PM »
Some Tonda Romana that I have been messing with.  Sorry about the crappy photo.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 06:19:49 PM by Matthew »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Tonda Romana
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 06:51:24 PM »
For a minute there between my bad short range vision and the blurry picture, I that was your breakfast at IHOP: pancakes with a fried egg and a couple slices of ham  :-D
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Online Matthew

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 06:56:19 PM »
Lol. It looked a lot better in person

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 08:51:43 PM »
You're on a tear!  Nice capricciosa!

Rolls
"I'm sure it's good... I just have the palate of a toddler."   - DreamingOfPizza

Offline Victorag999

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2018, 12:13:41 AM »
Hi forum,

I have a few questions regarding the proper method/procedure for the tonda romana style. I went to this great place in Rome called 180g pizzeria romana and I have been since then trying to emulate a similar pizza. Attached is a few pictures of their pizza and proofed dough I found online and the current dough formula I use.

1. The Dough Doctor has always suggested to use around .375% of IDY yeast for a 48 hour dough and .4% for a 24 hour dough. Is there a reason why in this forum and La Confraternita della pizza they suggest to use a lower amount of IDY yeast (1-2%) for this style of pizza besides the obvious reason that the dough shouldn't be as gassy compared to Neapolitan style or teglia? I currently use a 30% poolish at .03% for 12 hours and then mix, ball and CF for 24 hours.

2. At 180g pizzeria romana all of their pizzas are hand streched unlike Da Remo, La Gatta Mangiona, Sbaco etc which are more traditionally done with a mattarello or rolling pin. My current dough is at 58% hydration although I use around 10% whole wheat stone ground flour for flavor. In the pictures attached they consistently have a bigger cornicione compared to all of the traditional places. How can achieve this (bigger cornicione)? Is it possible to achieve it with a dough sheeter? The problem that I face is that lower hydration doughs are more difficult to hand stretch hence the necessity for the rolling pin. I would assume the solution would be to have a higher hydration and keep the yeast amount the same at .2%? Any ideas?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Offline bobgraff

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2018, 07:37:40 AM »
Have you tried rolling the dough out with a rolling pin and docking all but the cornicione?
Bob

"I learn each day what I need to know to do tomorrow’s work." - Arnold Toynbee

Offline chara48

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 09:04:45 PM »
Matthew,

I am interested in this style as well.  My wife and I had one (each) in Rome last summer and it was fantastic.  Your photos look great!  I know its been over 6 months since your post, but did you like your results?  Can I ask what type oven and bake temp. / time you used?

Thanks,
Chris

Offline lilmarco

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 09:36:36 AM »
I’ve been messing around with this style myself - using Marc Vetri’s 58% recipe from “mastering pizza” as my base
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 09:50:58 AM by Pete-zza »

Online Matthew

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2019, 01:04:07 PM »
Here's one from today. 
« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 08:44:01 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline Mertsel

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2019, 11:42:14 AM »
Here's one from today.

Perfect!!!! If possible, please share details of your process (formulation), flour used, method of baking, baking time and temp!