A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Low dome Neapolitan oven - dome geometrics  (Read 691 times)

Offline Elkaybay

• #pizzalife
Low dome Neapolitan oven - dome geometrics
« on: April 12, 2018, 02:55:34 AM »
Hi everyone,

I was wondering what seems to be the geometric characteristics of Neapolitan ovens low domes. Are they following a perfect elliptical shape?

Am I correct by following this approach? (see picture below)

The dome follows an elliptical shape, with its major axis corresponding to the cooking floor.
The ellipse intersects the top of the walls (marked X on the picture attached), as well as the max dome height (marked Y in the picture attached).
By choosing my chamber diameter, the wall height as well as the max dome height, the ellipse is fully defined.

Thanks!

« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 02:57:16 AM by Elkaybay »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Low dome Neapolitan oven - dome geometrics
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2018, 08:28:03 AM »
I think that's a good design, but I think you want to move your soldiers so that the focii are inside the oven. Some more on that here:  https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=22618.msg236987#msg236987
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline oicangisiul

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 09:35:04 AM »
Hi, the catenary curve is a more natural shape, and has more advantages than other shapes. See all the architecture of the ancient world is full of catenaryes. And is more flat than a elipsis.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 09:40:06 AM »
And is more flat than a elipsis.

Are you sure about that?
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline oicangisiul

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 10:15:21 AM »
Are you sure about that?

Im not sure mathematically, but for this case is more easy and practical to draw a very flat catenary than a very flat elipsis, also the structural advantages of catenary are superior.

Sorry for my english.

Offline ChristianVerschaeren

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 02:40:54 PM »
When I was planning my first oven I dabbled with these shapes and geometrics and whatnot. In reality you're building such a small ellipse that the whole thing kind of gets lost as you're dealing with square bricks anyway. Next ovens I set the soldiers, the interior height of the dome and than I just eyeballed the sandform. If I was building a bridge spanning the Tiber, I might be more anal about it.