A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: My Road To Napoli  (Read 20466 times)

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
My Road To Napoli
« on: April 23, 2018, 03:51:19 AM »
I'm creating a thread to document my progress, hopefully it will also be useful to other aspiring pizza artisans :)

When I was young I made pizzas in a WFO during summer vacations, our Neapolitan housekeeper made the dough.  Was a great experience!

Over the years I've tried to recreate the magic in our domestic electric oven, but with mediocre results.  About 3 years ago we got a new Siemens oven which goes up to 300C, there I got better results which motivated me to really get into making pizza. After learning how to get the best out of the oven, I managed to make very tasty 3 minute pizzas.  The drawback was that I had to wait 30-45 minutes before I could bake the subsequent pizza.  Who knows, maybe a steel plate would have helped.  If I could have baked pizza after pizza at 3 minutes, I'd probably have stopped there..

About 6 months ago, I decided to go another way and bought an Effeuno P134H electric oven (which you can get at a good discount from the italian forum: http://laconfraternitadellapizza.forumfree.it/).  It wasn't too expensive and reaches 400-450C on the stone, maybe even more with some modifications.  I've replaced the original stone with a 3 cm thick terracotta "biscotto" from Fornace Saputo, as I found it too easy to burn the bottoms with the original stone.  I'd say that the original stone is perfect for the 180-200g 3 minute pizza tonda that everyone loves, and also great for pizza romana in teglia.  But for neapolitan sub 90 second bakes, it gives off it's heat too rapidly and easily burns the bottoms.

At the moment, I have settled down on using Caputo pizzeria at 62% hydration and 2.9% sea salt, mixing by hand or with my old kitchen aid with a C hook, using a direct method with cake yeast at 8-9 or 24 hours room temperature.  Still plenty of variation in the resulting dough, and much to learn :)

Since I found a way to buy 25kg Caputo pizzeria flour sacks through a friend, I'm going through about 50kg a year :)  Part of it is pizza, the other part is a 1kg, no knead, part wholemeal wheat/rye (lately sourdough) bread I've been perfecting.  Pizzas still need work, but the bread is really reaching perfection.  The bread gets baked in the Siemens domestic oven.  In my experience the Caputo pizzeria flour is really good for pizza and makes an awesome bread too.

I'm also in the process of learning how to manage the p134h, nowadays I'm mostly cooking 90 second pizzas.  It's not as easy as just dialing something in and baking pizza after pizza.  It seems like the top element is heating the top of the stone quite a lot, and it's still a balancing act as to what to dial in, and when to launch the pizza to get the perfect bottom vs top heat, etc.  I tend to play with the upper dial in order for the stone to not get too hot, while still having max heat from above when I launch the pizza. Much to learn to perfect the baking of the pizza..
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 06:07:06 PM by amolapizza »
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
Re: My Road To Napoli
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 04:38:22 AM »
Some 3 minute pizzas from the domestic oven:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 04:43:21 AM by amolapizza »
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 04:47:16 AM »
And a few more:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 04:51:42 AM by amolapizza »
Jack

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 04:56:04 AM »
And some 90 second pizzas from the new p134h:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 05:03:00 AM by amolapizza »
Jack

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 05:05:31 AM »
And a few more 90s pizzas:
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 05:13:42 AM by amolapizza »
Jack

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 05:21:32 AM »
What I baked last night, mixed with a kitchen aid ksm-90 w C hook.

62% hydration, Caputo pizzeria, 2.9% Salt, 0.12% CY, 2/7 hours at 25C, 250g balls, 90s bake time:

Tomato, prosciutto cotto, onions & zucchini.
Tomato, garlic, salami piccante, fresh peperoncino & fior di latte.
Margerita with mozzarella di buffala (DOP)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 06:22:57 AM by amolapizza »
Jack

Offline jizza23

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 09:42:41 AM »
Really impressive looking pies. Curious with all of this experience and passion, what's to stop you from diving in with an actual wood fired oven? Even something smaller/less expensive like Pizza Party or Uuni?

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 12:44:32 PM »
Thanks for the compliment!  Personally I hope to make better ones in the future :)

I did consider a WFO but considering how often it rains here the choice was easy.  The oven is indoors, is warm in less than an hour, and cooks 90s pizzas.  What more can I ask...
Jack

Offline JimInPT

• Don't like pizza? You won't like me, or my dog.
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 01:18:14 PM »
I'm also interested in that bread recipe you mentioned (with pics!) if you're willing to share.  I bake at least as much bread dough as pizza dough.  Is it Caputo 00 plus some semolina, by any chance?

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 03:08:11 PM »
Hmm, my bread :)

That started in earnest when I got the new domestic oven.  I fondly remember my mother baking several times a week, either a white wheat form bread, graham flour loaf, breakfast rolls, or cakes and other pastries.  I've made half hearted attempts before, but never really got any good results, or at least not anything to compare to what I remembered.

My fiancee pointed me to an article in a Spanish magazine, I read it and thought it sounded easy so I tried it.  Got a nice result and have been sticking with the method and polishing my skills since then.  I guess I've been baking just about a 1kg bread per week for the last 2.5 years.

I'll give you my current method, as it has evolved a little bit since I read the article. All of this is done at room temperature, during winter about 21C, but in the summer the times will be shorter as temperatures are higher.

The original recipe called for a poolish made from 125g wheat flour, 125g water and 0.2g CY.  Dissolve the yeast in the water, add the flour and stir until you have a thick batter.  Leave covered at room temperature for about 12 hours.  I've recently replaced the poolish with a home made liquid (50/50) sourdough starter.

250g starter
290g water
10g sea salt
400g Caputo pizzeria
25g wholemeal wheat
25g wholemeal rye
25g semolina
25g khorasan wheat

Disolve the salt in the water.
Add all the flour to the starter and mix roughly.
Add the saltwater to the flour mix and mix by hand for a few minutes until evenly mixed.

Wait 30m, knead the dough for a few minutes until you feel no flour lumps and it gets some strength.
3 x Wait 30m and do some stretch and folds
Wait another hour and then fold the dough together to form a boule.
Flour the boule on the outside, and flour a linen cloth put into a wooden bowl or basket.
Put the boule into the basket for another 2-3 hours until it's risen to the right point for baking.

I bake the bread like this, first I put the oven to the intensive heat program at 300C, with the stone low in the oven. After 45-60m the stone is warm and shows about 260-270C.  Then I put in a tray with boiling water, the bread (after scoring) and I put it on the hydrobaking program and 200C for 25m (which probably means that it never comes on and the temperature slowly falls to 200C).  Then I remove the tray and change to the normal hot air program for another 30m at 160C.

When I take the bread out and wait a few minutes, it starts singing to me as crackles appear in the crust.

Regarding the flours I mix it up a little depending on what I have around.  My impression is that the more flours I mix in, the better the taste.  Still I go easy on the wholemeal as adding too much makes it taste like carton to me.  I also tried 50g semolina and liked it, but my fiancee thought it was too gritty.

A bread baked last week and the one baked last Saturday, both with my own sourdough starter.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 04:10:14 PM by amolapizza »
Jack

Offline JimInPT

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 03:39:06 PM »
Hmm, my bread :)

Wow - thanks for such a detailed reply.  Looks like a great bread to try out and maybe add to my collection.  Will need to substitute for khorasan wheat; not available around here but might be able to order online.  Have all the rest onhand.

I use both the water pan method and a spritzer spray bottle for a steamy environment, always have a large baking stone in the oven whether I'm baking on it or not and have also had great success baking loaves inside a blistering-hot preheated cast-iron Dutch oven with a lid; have a couple of no-knead recipes for that method I've shown to others that create loaves costing a lot in a specialty bread shop.    ;)

Can't wait to give this one a try.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 03:42:55 PM by JimInPT »

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 03:51:01 PM »
Well if you have no khorasan, then use whatever you have, or another 25g of caputo pizzeria.  I've even added wholemeal oat, buckwheat, etc.

If you don't have caputo, you may need to change the water amount a little bit.  I noticed that when I switched to sourdough a few weeks ago the dough got a bit stickier, but still ok to handle so I haven't bothered to reduce the water.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 03:56:18 PM by amolapizza »
Jack

Offline JimInPT

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 04:03:16 PM »
Well if you have no khorasan, then use whatever you have, or another 25g of caputo pizzeria.  I've even added wholemeal oat, buckwheat, etc.

If you don't have caputo, you may need to change the water amount a little bit.  I noticed that when I switched to sourdough a few weeks ago the dough got a bit stickier, but still ok to handle so I haven't bothered to reduce the water.

No shortage of Caputo around here!  Getting close to ordering a 25kg bag of the stuff to refill.  And yes, I figured I could just add in a mix of the other flours to substitute.  Have some oat and rice flour here someplace too......

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2018, 09:01:19 AM »
Today's result.

62% hydration, Caputo pizzeria, 2.9% Salt, 0.08% CY, 11/6 hours at 23C, 250g balls, 90s bake time.

Not too happy about the results, but they were all good :)  The last one was nearly "biscottato", still a lot to learn how to best use the oven.

1. Tomato, red bell pepper, chorizo and mozzarella di buffala
2. Margherita
3. Tomato, salami cacciatore, black olives and mozzarella di buffala
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 09:03:59 AM by amolapizza »
Jack

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2018, 05:52:00 PM »
Today was a mixed experience :)

I made pizza with my home made sourdough starter for the first time.

I googled around and settled on the following recipe. 582g Caputo pizzeria, 360g water, 17g salt and 43g SD starter for 24h at 22-23C, 15h in bulk and 9h balled.  Cooked at around 400C on the biscotto for 90-100s.

I did have some launch problems as the dough seemed slightly stickier to what I'm used to.  Lots of black spots and some burnt toppings on the biscotto.  It also baked differently to my normal CY based dough, in as much as I think I need to either understand better how to bake it in my oven, or maybe I just need to turn it around a couple of times.  No doubt another couple of months baking pizza will show me what to do regarding cooking times, temperatures and how to use the oven for best results :)

I also managed to drop cheese and sauce on the window and door isolation :(  Tomorrow I'll have to see how well that cleans off..  Not to mention that I managed to burn my lower arm.. :)

All in all I think it was the tastiest pizza dough I've done so far.  Even the parts that appear white or not baked enough were very good.

Here are some photos:

1. Dough balls just before baking
2. Underside of dough ball
3. Stretched skin
4. Dressed pizza
5. Margherita
6. Closeup of the Margherita
7. S. Marzano, grated provolone dolce, slices of smoked scamorza, shallot & roasted eggplant
8. S. Marzano, fior di latte, garlic, salami picante, red bell pepper
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 06:28:06 PM by amolapizza »
Jack

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2018, 06:19:19 PM »
And a white one with, sour cream, talleggio, smoked scamorza, provolone dolce, pecorino al tartufo, shiitake & salsiccia.
Jack

Offline corkd

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2018, 07:23:50 PM »
Nice pies!

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2018, 02:30:36 PM »
After my disastrous adventure involving autolyse and sourdough where I ended up breaking one skin when slapping it, and the second while dragging the dressed skin onto the peal, I went back to basics..  ;)

Some 8h RT, Caputo pizzeria at 62% hydration, CY, baked for 90s in my p134h.

First two from Thursday, slightly underfermented.
Then the two from last night, still a little underfermented.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 05:21:53 PM by amolapizza »
Jack

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2018, 03:29:06 PM »
Tonight's results.  Again Caputo pizzeria, 62% hydration, 2.9% salt, 0.25% CY, 2/7 hours at about 23-24C.  Balls 250g and baked for 90s in my p134h.  Today they were well leavened, maybe just a little bit over.

1. Garlic, chorizo.
2. Margherita.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 04:04:01 PM by amolapizza »
Jack

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2018, 03:55:40 PM »
Tonight's bounty.  Caputo pizzeria, 62% hydration, 2.9% salt, 0.25% CY, 2/7 hours at about 22-23C.  Balls 250g and baked for 90s in my p134h.

1. Prosciutto cotto.
2. Mozzarella di buffala (DOP), lardo di colonnata.
Jack