A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: How to use a spiral mixer  (Read 917 times)

Offline DoouBall

Re: How to use a spiral mixer
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2020, 06:18:47 PM »
Here’s a photo of a bread made today with the overnight autolyse method I mentioned earlier in the thread. 77% bread flour, 21% spelt and 3% rye. 
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 06:26:14 PM by DoouBall »
Alex

Outdoor Oven: Blackstone. Indoor Oven: Gaggenau.

Offline 2ndtimearound

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2020, 08:40:04 AM »
I have a Famag im8s and I've tried all the internet methods and just got confused and frustrated.

For NP style 62-64% hydro using SD starter. I start with all the RT water and dissolve the salt. Then I whisk in my starter and froth it up. to that add all of the flour and let it mix on low speed until it comes together about 2-3 mins. once the bulb forms I turn it up to mid speed and let it mix until smooth. apox 4-5 mins more. I don't temp the dough anymore since I bulk 24 hrs/ball 24 hrs it in my 62 degree cellar.

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2020, 04:00:22 PM »
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline DoouBall

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2020, 05:06:35 PM »
Thanks Jack! Very nicely done. Looking at your video, I do think that the Sunmix does a much better job than the Famag in a short time at such a low speed. I also noticed that your dough wasn't anywhere near windowpane when you removed it from the mixer. It might be worth experimenting to see what happens if you get closer to windowpane before removing from mixer. Will you like the results more or less?
Alex

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2020, 05:15:29 PM »
I think developing the gluten more tends to increase the chewiness, but I'm not 100% sure about it..

After the one hour bulk it does pass a basic window pane, maybe not ultra thin but the gluten has definitely developed all by itself.  I'm sorry that it doesn't show so well in the video, I thought it would. :)

Strange, I would have imagined spiral mixers to develop dough more or less the same..  But what do I know.. :D  Maybe it's a question of dough vs bowl size, the ratio of spiral vs bowl rotation, the distance to the breaker bar, etc..
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline DoouBall

« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2020, 05:38:23 PM »
Strange, I would have imagined spiral mixers to develop dough more or less the same..  But what do I know.. :D  Maybe it's a question of dough vs bowl size, the ratio of spiral vs bowl rotation, the distance to the breaker bar, etc..

Yes I think all those things matter.
Alex

wordpress