A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: My Road To Napoli  (Read 12423 times)

Offline amolapizza

• If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
Re: My Road To Napoli
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2018, 05:33:03 PM »
Bring the heat up (~450 on the biscotto).  Caputo pizzeria, 62% hydration, 2.9% salt, 0.25% CY, 2/7 hours at about 22-23C.

Were a touch under baked at 75s, but lovely  :drool:  Next time the bottom heat at max too..  The first was a saved launch failure too, went backwards over the handle, instead of forwards into the oven  :-[  Now, I'll have to clean the window too  :(

1. Marinara.
2. Chorizo.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 06:50:24 PM by amolapizza »
Jack,

Effeuno P134H (1700W upper element), EGO 500C Thermostat (upper), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Sacorosso, Mutti Pelati Bio.

Offline amolapizza

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2018, 04:23:41 PM »
Tonight's marvels.  Trying to learn how to maximize the heat of the oven..

Caputo pizzeria, 62% hydration, 2.9% salt, 0.25% CY, 2/7 hours at about 23-24C.  All with M. di bufala, and baked for 75s.

1/2 My balls. >:D
3-5 Salsiccia, finocchio, garlic.
6-8 Regina with double tomato. :P
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 04:18:33 AM by amolapizza »
Jack,

Effeuno P134H (1700W upper element), EGO 500C Thermostat (upper), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Sacorosso, Mutti Pelati Bio.

Offline amolapizza

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2018, 04:50:33 PM »
Today was a mixed bag, some bad and some good.

The bad is that my planned 9h sourdough balls are very slow and have not risen as expected.  After 5 hours I moved them to a warmer place and 2 hours later I put them on top of the oven...  I think I messed up something with my starter, as I had planned to make a 24h SD run too, and that still hasn't peaked after 6 hours, used to do that in about 4 hours before.

As the starter appeared anemic to me I did make some CY dough too, that has baked up pretty well.  Think I've finally begun to get the hang of this oven.  Hopefully I'll get SD one day too :)

Caputo pizzeria, 62% hydration, 2.9% salt, 0.25% CY, 2/7 hours at about 22-23C. Both baked for 75s.

1-3 Diavola
4-6 Marinara
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 08:06:22 PM by amolapizza »
Jack,

Offline amolapizza

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2018, 07:11:23 PM »
Well the intended 9h SD turned into improvised 11/12h.. Pizzas are done, again a mixed bag :)

I saw that after spending a few hours on top of the oven the balls had finally grown, not in height but most certainly in girth and I decided they had risen enough to bake, and it was already late..  There was a lot of humidity condensed on the bowls I use to cover the balls.

When I grabbed the first ball it was about 32C/90F...  I've never touched a dough that warm before.  It did shape into a disk, but felt a little fragile and got some thinner spots.  After dressing and when pulling it onto the peal it really wanted to stay put, I think it tore slightly when I launched it, because when I pulled it after 75s it broke in the middle and left somewhat of a mess on the deck.  Dough that warm seems sticky and doesn't really transfer well.

I left the other ball on the kitchen bench for another hour, when I used it the temp had descended to 28C/82F.  This dough was a lot nicer to work with and didn't stick at all, and even better the oven had cleaned itself :)

Both balls were too dry underneath and had a few spots with a skin that broke when extending the disk.  Still this problem was manageable.

All in all I like it.  Optically they look similar to my CY pizza, but I'd rate the SD better both taste and structure wise!  Now I'll use CY for 9 hour doughs and SD for 24/28h doughs.  My wish to make a 9h SD is kind of pointless if I have to refresh the starter in advance anyways...  I might someday try to do a RT SD refresh at 7.00, make dough at 12.00 and pizza at 21.00.

Caputo pizzeria, 62% hydration, 2.9% salt, 20% SD, 2/11-12 hours at 22 up to much higher.  All with M. di bufala, and baked for 75s.

1-3 Chorizo
4-6 Margherita
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 07:38:26 PM by amolapizza »
Jack,

Offline amolapizza

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2018, 03:52:03 PM »
Tonight a 24h CY dough,  baked for 75s.

Caputo pizzeria, 62% hydration, 2.9% salt, 0.06% CY, 12/12h.

It was warmer than I had foreseen, so the balls were very well fermented. I could easily have baked them 6 hours earlier.

1    1:st ball.
2-3 w. garlic and Chorizo postbake
4-5 Margherita w. buf. moz.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 03:55:52 PM by amolapizza »
Jack,

Offline amolapizza

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2018, 06:12:01 AM »
I think I've become proficient with the basics of a 9/24h CY dough, made good progress on learning to extend the disk and to top it.  I've also learnt how to get more out of my oven, so that I can bake 75s pizza without having made any bigger modifications.

Sourdough though...  Yesterday I attempted a 24h sourdough that was very late and not well developed at all, when I tried to launch it, I got a spectacular failure (30m before normal bed time).  Elon Musk would have been proud of the fiery chaos I created in my oven.  It's more or less clean now, and the last traces are being pyrolized.

I realize that my cavalier attitude towards handling the starter is ok for my bread baking with a large percentage of starter, but to do 24h pizza dough I have to be more careful with the details.  Am going to spend some time playing with starters and making dough, to see if I can't manage to at least get to decent starting point for making SD pizza.

Am also seriously considering getting a wine storage cooler, so that I don't have to deal with changing temperatures and to get more consistent with my recipes and workflow.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 06:49:16 AM by amolapizza »
Jack,

Offline amolapizza

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2018, 04:59:04 AM »
I've decided to leave the sourdough for pizza at the side for the moment, I'm practicing making bread with excellent results though.

Since last post I had 2 sessions, the first the usual RT 2/7 direct dough, with the usual results.

The 2nd one got interesting though, it was very warm and the dough had a temperature of 27C/80F when I tried to bake it.  This is clearly too hot, there was some condensation water on the bowls, the dough was very well risen (possibly too much), I didn't have to do much more than look at it to extend the disks.  But, the main problem was that it was quite sticky.  The 1st pizza turned into a pizza a pala (an oval), but I managed to cook all 3.  The result was not very spectacular though :)

Here is the result of last nights session.

24 hours (16/8) direct dough at RT (23-24C) cooked for 75s.
473g Caputo pizzeria
293g Water
0.19g CY
13.7g Salt

1. Leerdamer cheese, chorizo and black olives
2. Diavola with garlic
3. Margherita
Jack,

Offline amolapizza

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2018, 06:52:41 AM »
I'd also like to share the small modifications I've done to my P134H oven.

The first is a so called biscotto that I ordered from Fornace Saputo.  The original refractory stone gives off heat too quickly so it's very easy to burn the bottoms when cooking at high temps.  I'd say that the original stone is great for baking a normal Italian 3 minute pizza and also for pizza in teglia.  But when trying to cook a Neapolitan at max temperatures it doesn't work well.  The biscotto is made from volcanic sand and clay and is a lot less dense.  This means that it will reach the same temperatures, but will transfer heat a lot slower to the pizza.  This kind of terracotta tile is used for the deck in professional WFOs for exactly the same reason.

The second is a heat shield over the door.  Mine is temporary and made from aluminum foil, I intend to replace it with a stainless steel one once I've figured out the shape and how big the window should be.  This reduces the heat loss through the glass door and allows me to cook the pizza without turning it.

The third isn't a mod as such.  I've read a lot about people adding a button to bypass the upper thermostat so that they can bake with the upper heating element red hot thus applying the maximum heat from above.  I achieve the same by opening the door halfway when the upper heating element goes on, then waiting 60-75 seconds before launching the pizza.  Sure there is some heat loss but this is more than compensated for by the additional heat from the top as the upper element will be red hot and stay on during the entire baking time.  This technique has lowered my cooking times from about 90s to 70-75s.

I set the upper dial to 450C and the lower to 400C, then let the oven preheat for a little bit more than an hour.  So far I'm more than happy with the results of this electrical oven, and have been shoveling very tasty pizza out of it :)  Still a lot to learn about dough and oven management, but progress is being steadily made ;D
Jack,

Offline amolapizza

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2018, 08:45:08 AM »
Pizza from last Sunday.  Wasn't going to post them as not really something new, and actually worse than normal.  On the other hand it's probably useful to document the less than stellar results to remind myself about past sins :)

Dough was 473g Caputo pizzeria, 293g water, 0.19g CY & 13.7g salt, 24 (16/8) hours at 22-23C.  IMO the balls were more or less perfectly risen when I baked them.

All cooked for 70-75s with the biscotto at around 450C.  This time I kept the top element at max, but the bottom element at around 400C.  My fiancee still complains that the bottom is too burnt, so am going to try with the bottom element at a lower setting next time. Not sure I agree about the bottoms really being too burnt, but she is my best/only pizza critic and as a smart man I try to keep her happy! :)  Still would be nice to achieve a bottom with very little black, just well cooked with brown spots.  We'll see how that turns out over the long run.

The Margherita was more or less a launch failure as I didn't launch it deep enough into the oven, and a few cm were hanging over the edge of the biscotto. Still managed to lift it up so that it was entirely on the biscotto.  This is the reason for the very white side of the pizza.

1. prosciutto cotto, eggplant, leerdamer cheese and wild oregano from Puglia
2. Diavola with wild oregano
3. Margherita

I am torn as what to do for tomorrow's pizza.  Temps in my kitchen range between 27-29C which IMO is too high (at least for me).  I suppose I'll have to see about leaving the dough in the basement, but that's somewhat of a pain.  Just measured about 22C there, and 19C on the floor.

I think I'll really need to get going with buying a wine fridge and having some wooden boxes made for it. Using a cooler with frozen water bottles seems too fiddly to me, not to mention that I have a small freezer with no space left over for freezing water bottles.  I also really enjoy the dryness of the bottom of the balls after leaving them to rise on a wooden surface, and have no inclination to ever return to tupperware or plastic bags.
Jack,

Offline amolapizza

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2018, 07:22:07 AM »
A long time just lurking, and now a post without photos...

Since last time I've baked a few pizza but really nothing better than the old photos.  I've been trying to figure out how to best use my oven.  One problem being that the upper element seems to be heating the deck too much, so it's hard to get a pizza that is soft on the bottom.  Until now enlightenment has avoided me, and I'd characterize the pizzas as beeing overcooked on the bottom, resulting in a crispy and overly black bottom.  Hopefully more experimentation will get me there some day.

The last 2 weeks have been a misery. I've run out of Caputo pizzeria flour, so bought some Italian biological 00.

The first attempt was my normal 24h dough albeit at a room temp of about 27C, it was a catastrophe..  The balls were more than well risen, just opening the first ball I knew I was in trouble.  It hardly needed more than breathing on it, but that wasn't really the problem.  It seemed to have no elasticity, and all 3 dressed pizzas broke when I tried to pull them onto the peal.  Didn't even attempt to bake them...

For the second attempt I lowered the hydration to 60%, upped the salt to 3% and used a little less yeast than I'd normally use.  It was an 8 hour dough at around 24C.  I also made sure to kneed it more than usual in an attempt to make it more elastic.  The balls were not excessively risen, in fact one might have wanted to let them go a few more hours.  These felt much better and opened up nicely into skins, but I could feel that they lacked elasticity..  The first broke when pulling it onto the peal.  The second stuck on the peal when launching and made quite a mess in the oven, though according to my fiancee it was eatable.  The third again broke on launching and made an unholy mess in my oven.  I had no way to remove all the dough, sauce, toppings, oil, etc, so had to let it pyrolize.  Oven is clean now, but my god was that a big fiery mess to get rid of, for a moment I suspected Lucifer himself had moved into it.  And no pizza for yours truly, though I ate the bones left by my fiancee :)  Probably spent an hour cleaning the oven the next day...

Not sure what to do.  Won't get any Caputo until mid september when I come back from vacations, but I'm inclined to make a pause.  Also with temps in my kitchen of about 27-30C, I'm not sure my old methods with a different flour will really lead to good results.  I'll probably dedicate myself to learning how to bake a good sourdough ciabatta.  Suppose I could always toast it and eat it with garlic, tomato, mozzarella and salt on top :)

In retrospect I probably should have mixed some "Mantiboa" flour with the 00.  But I must say that I'm surprised at what a difference a different flour made for my results.  Never would have imagined that the difference was that big in how the dough handled.  Oh well, I'll be less cavalier with my approach in the future, and if I have to bake with something other than Caputo I'll make sure to make test doughs and not plan for anything eatable to come out of it...:)
Jack,

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2018, 03:16:33 PM »
I feel you, amolapizza. Sounds really frustrating, (and also kind of familiar).

Wish I had some good advice but other than waiting for cooler weather (or investing in some temperature management equipment), I'm not sure what to say.

Hang in there and keep baking (and posting! :-)

Offline amolapizza

« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2018, 07:33:17 AM »
Thanks Arne,

Yeah, I'll definitely hang in there!  I'm firmly committed to learning the craft of pizza making, even getting good at it :)

I'm also determined to one day bake Neapolitan pizza that is topclass, think I'm about half way there already.  Have come close at a few occasions, though I still need to understand how to use my oven for best effect.

I do have plans for a wine fridge with some custom made birch boxes.  Am gonna spend more time googling fridges over vacation.  In winter I have a pretty stable temp in my kitchen, but would be nice to have an even more stable environment, and especially so during the warmer months.
Jack,

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • A sour dough makes a happy me
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2018, 09:16:35 AM »
Fermenting at room temperature can certainly be a nightmare. I would definitely recommend considering a fermentation box, either a manual one like Craig's with a cooler box and some ice, or a wine cooler. I'm using a wine cooler and it's very nice being able to just shove the doughs in there and know the temperature will be stable even if the ambient temperature in the room varies. On a cheaper cooler, the ambient temp might affect the temp inside a little bit, but it's still a long way from using room temp.

It's also a great way to be more consistent and be able to make smaller changes and see the result. When fermenting in RT, you can try changing the recipe, but the result could be more because of inconsistent RT than what you did different. Wooden boxes are also great for fermentation and makes for a better dough when opening into skins.
-Heine. Mostly Neapolitan sourdough pizzas in an electric Effeuno P134H.

Offline amolapizza

« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2018, 01:15:49 PM »
Yeah, I'd really like temps to be more stable as it's hard to say what change causes what result.  Making dough once a week makes for slow progress, and I'd like to speed up.  I must admit that at the moment I can prepare exactly the same dough, and it's still slightly different each time :)  And then let's not talk about oven management  ;D  Sometimes it comes out as close to perfect Neapolitan, and other times the bottom is too well done, maybe with too much black areas or just stiff instead of soft.

I would have tried a cooler box, but we have a small freezer and it's full, the same goes for the fridge :)

Regarding wood boxes I do leave my balls on wooden cutting boards with bowls inverted over them.  I love the dryness of the bottom and how little flour I need to use.
Jack,

Offline amolapizza

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2018, 06:49:52 AM »
Am quite happy with these, cooked with the both elements in my p134h set to 350C.  Then the upper element turned up to maximum (450C) and the door left slightly open as I start working the dough ball.  Like this the biscotto (deck) isn't so warm that it burns the bottom(~415C), still the upper element is red hot when I put the pizza in the oven and stays on for the entire bake time (about 75-80s).  Still many pizza's left to bake until I've mastered this oven and know the best way of using it.

Unfortunately (at least for me) it doesn't seem that setting everything to max works very well, as I think the upper element heats the biscotto too much so that it over cooks the bottom of the pizza, black areas and too crispy to be called neapolitan.  I am trying to find a fool proof way of cooking neapolitan in this oven without turning the pizza much or doming it.

Maybe I'll finally break down and order a 1900W upper element and 500C thermostat (at least for the upper element).  The 1900W replacement not so much for the extra 100W, but rather for the different pattern that promises more heat in the front close to the door, and the 500C thermostat in order to get more heat.

My personal reflection on the result is that the pizza is super good and close to the real neapolitans that I've eaten, still I'd like a better mako (pattern) and a fluffier cornicione with more air in it.  Maybe neither of these have to do with the oven and rather with the dough and how I extend it..  Still much to learn :)  Though I think the pizza would certainly benefit from another 50C and lower cooking times.

Dough: 473g Caputo blu, 293g water, 13.7g salt and 0.8g CY, 2 hours in bulk and 9 hours balled at 23-24C. 250g per pizza.

Jack,

Offline sub

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2018, 12:57:29 PM »
Am quite happy with these, cooked with the both elements in my p134h set to 350C.  Then the upper element turned up to maximum (450C) and the door left slightly open as I start working the dough ball.  Like this the biscotto (deck) isn't so warm that it burns the bottom(~415C)

You should try to shut off the bottom thermostat when you start working the dough balls. (advice from Gsans)

I'd like a better mako (pattern) and a fluffier cornicione with more air in it.  Maybe neither of these have to do with the oven and rather with the dough and how I extend it..  Still much to learn :)  Though I think the pizza would certainly benefit from another 50C and lower cooking times.

For a better leoparding of the the crust you'll need a hotter oven, try to make the bypass mod, it will also help to obtain a softer pie.

You can obtain a more aerated crumb structure by raising the hydratation over 65%, autolyse also help a lot.

Good luck ;)

Offline amolapizza

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2018, 01:43:18 PM »
Yes, I've come to realize that the biscotto gets a lot of heat as the upper element gets going..  The lower element probably isn't needed at all while cooking.

I'm still uneasy about a bypass, as I wouldn't want to forget it.. Come back after 20m and find the biscotto far too hot, or that the oven went out :)  I think the 1900W element and a 500C thermostat is probably the next step.

With timing and the trick of opening the door slightly I've managed to cook 70s pizza with the stock 1800W p134h + saputo biscotto, but they all had a far too crispy/burnt bottom. I think the upper elements stored too much energy into the biscotto while getting going.

Thanks for the tip about hydration/autolyse, my normal is 62%, i'll try 64% next time.

Edit: Above I talk about 1800W, the oven presently has a 1700W element on top, but there is a 1900W element which can replace it.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 08:11:32 AM by amolapizza »
Jack,

Offline amolapizza

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2018, 12:55:38 PM »
I tried 64% hydration instead of my normal 62%.  The cornicione might have been slightly more open, but I also found the pizza got a slightly gummy taste, so I'm back at 62% with caputo blu.

I've tried a lot of different settings on my F1 p134h oven, I've read a lot of advice on the net, many indicating to put both thermostats on 450C (max), but with those settings I' ve found the bottom too well done or even burnt, black spots and crispy, what the they call biscottato in Naples.  It probably also depends on exactly when you launch the pizza and if the elements are on or not, as this changes the temps reached.

Lately I've been gravitating towards the following modus operandi.  Set the upper to 400C, the lower to 350-375C, and wait an hour or so.  Then before I start opening a skin set the upper to 450C, this gives me about 2-3 minutes to complete the pizza, and when I insert the pizza the upper element is redhot.  This results in about 80 second bakes and have been my most successful.

Just bought a new 500C thermostat so I thought I'd take some measurements before changing it, and also in order to understand the oven better.

I put the upper on 450C and the lower on 0C, so that the biscotto (deck) was only heated from above.  After about 90-100 minutes the temperature measured on top of the biscotto had stabilized at around 440-460, underneath at about 300C (measured with the thermostat).

Then I raised the temperature on the lower thermostat and measured temps again.

Lower thermostat - Temperature measured
350C - 450-472C
375C - 455-481C
400C - 457-485C
450C - 467-492C

After changing to the 500C thermostat I see the following:

With the upper on 500C and the lower on 0C, the temps again stabilized after 90-100 minutes, but this time at 505-525C, with the bottom thermostat showing about 350C.

Lower thermostat - Temperature measured
400C - 509-540C
450C - 519-544C

Wow, that's hot :)  Now to figure out how to use all that heat for best effect..

Jack,

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • A sour dough makes a happy me
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2018, 02:44:42 PM »
Very interesting to see your testing with the P134H, look forward to the continuation. I need to read through this topic. :)

I'm looking to buy one myself and I'm a bit sad they don't sell it stock with 500C, not even as an option. An Italian store had a Limited Edition with 500C in August, but it's over now. Not even sure I could've ordered from them.

Where did you buy the thermostat and what did it cost? I would consider it if I got one. The replacement seems easy enough, but voiding warranty is the downside.
-Heine. Mostly Neapolitan sourdough pizzas in an electric Effeuno P134H.

Offline amolapizza

« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2018, 02:58:22 PM »
Yes you could have ordered from them, but you'd probably have to do it in Italian.. If you don't speak it then google translate, which does a decent job.

I'm kind of kicking myself for not buying it, the engraving is very nice, upper element of 1900W (instead of the 1700W I have) and 500C thermostats both above and below.  I should have sold mine and bought that one myself..  That said if you buy it now, you get the 1900W element, and IMO only need to replace the upper thermostat.  I ordered this for 42.50E: https://ego-shop.net/hp2238/Regler-1-polig-Anschluss-hinten-71-500-C-55-19082-802.htm

Seems to kick @ss, average about 65C higher measured on the biscotto compared to my old thermostat.

Still have to make pizzas on it though :)

Edit: You'd have to get a biscotto some way though, as the included refractory stone is only good up to 3 minute pizza and pizza in teglia, for quicker cooking times you'd need the biscotto to not burn the bottom.  Maybe also possible to get from the confraternity store, otherwise I can give you an email addy to Fornace Saputo.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 03:05:14 PM by amolapizza »
Jack,

wordpress