A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Moving the pipe/smoke coming out of the front  (Read 1034 times)

Offline spaddl

• I Love Pizza!
Moving the pipe/smoke coming out of the front
« on: April 25, 2018, 02:35:16 PM »
Ciao,

i have a small wood fired oven, which spits out a bit of smoke out of the front vent occasionally which does not get sucked in the chimney. Especially when i start it up, or put new wood in(its as dry as possible about 12%).

Right now its no big deal, since its located outside, but im planning on getting a roofing for my pizza place. So it would suck to have it all smokey.

Thats the one i have: http://www.impexfire.com/en/products/wood-fired-brick-ovens/wood-burning-fired-brick-pizza-oven-pizzaioli-120cm-detail (as you can see on the first picture its kinda black from all the smoke coming out front)

I was thinking about either getting a longer chimney, or maybe adding a little hood in the front to have it like the traditional neapolitan ovens.

Maybe if i do some kinda construction, like the red line i draw in the picture ?

Any suggestions, or maybe someone ran into the same problem ?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 02:41:00 PM by spaddl »

Offline vtsteve

• If my pizza is wrong, I don't want to be right!
Re: Moving the pipe/smoke coming out of the front
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 08:59:44 AM »
You'll need to attach the hood to the *inner* edge of the vent (diagonally down-left from your sketched position), so the captured smoke will be channeled up the flue. If the sketch is accurate, I'd also round off the corners at the inside of the vent, to encourage smooth air flow up the flue.
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

Offline spaddl

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 09:33:28 AM »
ok,
so kinda like that ?

maybe i could just add a piece of metal in the upper third of the oven front.

Well guess its time for some trial and error :)

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 09:59:39 AM »
95cm is not a particularly small WFO, and a 14cm chimney may not be large enough for the oven. My oven is 120cm, and my flue is 25cm internal diameter. That more than 3X larger than yours. It's also 9' flue straight up, so it sucks like a vacuum. It may be that your only solution is to extend the length of your stack. You can use the calculator to estimate the increase in flow rate by lengthening the flue: https://www.chimneysheep.co.uk/how-to-use/save-money/stack-effect-calculator/
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 10:01:13 AM »
I haven't researched it and I don't think they are cheap, but I think you could add an inline chimney fan to increase the draft.

Something like this...

http://www.woodlanddirect.com/Chimney/Chimney-Fans/?state=6019

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 10:21:46 AM »
It's also 9' flue straight up, so it sucks like a vacuum.

How do you keep the pizzas from being sucked out of the oven and launched out the chimmney?  :D

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 10:32:46 AM »
How do you keep the pizzas from being sucked out of the oven and launched out the chimmney?  :D

I guess the 400 in^2 chimney opening slows the flow rate enough to keep them on the deck  :-D
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline vtsteve

• If my pizza is wrong, I don't want to be right!
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 12:09:05 PM »
95cm is not a particularly small WFO, and a 14cm chimney...

I didn't even see that. Who would do such a thing?!   :-[

ok,
so kinda like that ?

You also want to round off the inside square corner to the left of the current hood sketch - you want outside air entrained by the smoke to smoothly flow up the flue, too -- rounding it off will increase your vent area to capture the smoke. Basically you don't want sharp corners in the flue/vent area.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 01:22:23 PM by vtsteve »
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

Offline spaddl

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 06:56:32 PM »
ok, thanks for the suggestions.

i cant realy do much about the edges, since those are metal plates.

My chimney is about 1,5m high. But thats just temporarily, when i get the roofing ill have to buy a longer one anyways.

Next time i fire the oven up ill do some testing with the oven door/added metal plates, maybe get it a bit smoother on the inside of the vent. If that wont work i might look for some larger adjustments, like installing a bigger chimney. The Chimney fan is a bit to expensive.

Offline spaddl

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2018, 06:58:09 PM »
heyyy,

today i fired the oven up again, and put a wooden bar in the top third of the mouth of the oven, that pretty much solved the problem for me :).

Offline Brent-r

• Lifetime Member
  • Love the wood fired oven
    • Roberts Machinery
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2018, 08:51:58 AM »
Ive had some fun making maple syrup with 3 different evaporators and can confirm the the height of the chimney is key to getting a good draft.   Our little Fontana Forni does not in my opinion come with a long enough stack.  Its only 20.  Id like to see it at 30 to 40.  The trade off is that you can get a cold draft coming in across the stone depending on your door and where the incoming air goes.   Id like to have enough natural draft that I can control the fire a bit with the damper.
Brent

wordpress