A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Going to Sorrento, near Naples. Where to eat pizza?  (Read 664 times)

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • A sour dough makes a happy me
Going to Sorrento, near Naples. Where to eat pizza?
« on: May 11, 2018, 11:16:28 AM »
In July we are going to Sorrento, a bit over one hour south of Naples. Any suggestions on where we should get some pizza?

We'll drive up to Naples at least one of the days, and we got a car to travel in around the area. So any restaurant you recommend is welcome.

The hotel reviews say they've got an excellent pizzeria there, but I also want to try other places.
-Heine. Mostly Neapolitan sourdough pizzas in an electric Effeuno P134H.

Offline Gianni5

Re: Going to Sorrento, near Naples. Where to eat pizza?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 03:13:22 PM »
I had a really memorable meal at a place called La Lanterna in Sorrento around 15 years ago Great pizza and even better pasta and antipasti. I checked them out on trip advisor and looks like they’re still going strong.

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 10:08:53 AM »
I'm not too familiar with pizza in Sorrento. I would image that you should be able to find Neapolitan pizza there, but also you will probably encounter places that offer a more local version even given its proximity to Naples.

As you might suspect, you need to be very selective about where to eat in tourist towns such as Sorrento. Stay clear of any places that posts outdoor multi-language menus and/or if the staff is standing outside trying to convince you to come in.

Here are two methods that should guide you, both have worked for me.

1- as you walk around in the morning, look around and peak into kitchens and open doorways. I know that sounds weird but you notice signs of a good place. Are they taking deliveries, do you see staff prepping meals? Can you smell the lunch being prepared?

2. In the morning, ask a local merchant where they will be eating for lunch. Of course, after you buy something from them.

That's what I did the last time I was in Sorrento. Local business woman recommended Chantecler's Trattoria, hidden up an alley near the tourist center of town. Prices were reasonable and all the food was local and fresh.

https://www.facebook.com/trattoriaCHANTECLERS/
http://www.chanteclers.com/index.htm

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187782-d1723583-Reviews-Chantecler_s_Trattoria-Sorrento_Province_of_Naples_Campania.html#photos;geo=187782&detail=1723583&ff=308309582&albumViewMode=hero&aggregationId=101&albumid=101&baseMediaId=308309582&thumbnailMinWidth=50&cnt=30&offset=-1&filter=7&autopl
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 10:17:52 AM by ebpizza »

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 01:37:22 PM »
I once asked the same question of Marco, a forum member who introduced all of us to the authentic neapolitan pizza methods here on the forum, and also sells Neapolitan ovens with floors made there in the sorrento area.  He grew up in Naples Italy, and also knows the food scene around Sorrento quite well. 

His suggestion to me was to not worry about finding good pizza around sorrento (and to save that for naples).  Instead he told me that Sorrento has some really good restaurants serving non pizza dishes, and that I should check out these two places...   Im REALLY glad I listened to him.  Don Alfonso is world famous, and definitely worth the drive.   Il buco is right in the center of town, not quite as high end, but still amazing.

http://www.ilbucoristorante.it/en/home
http://www.donalfonso.com/ristorante.asp?lingua=ing

I went against marco's recommendations and did try a few pizzerias while I was in sorrento.  Da Franco was my favorite, and its a great representation of pizza by the meter. I actually liked the slower bake in the wood burning oven and I was glad I tried this style along with Neapolitan style faster cooked pizzas.   

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187782-d1537280-Reviews-Panetteria_Pizzeria_Franco-Sorrento_Province_of_Naples_Campania.html
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 01:46:00 PM by scott r »

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 03:15:43 PM »
I had a really memorable meal at a place called La Lanterna in Sorrento around 15 years ago Great pizza and even better pasta and antipasti. I checked them out on trip advisor and looks like they’re still going strong.
Thank you, Gianni! I will put it on my list.  :)

I'm not too familiar with pizza in Sorrento. I would image that you should be able to find Neapolitan pizza there, but also you will probably encounter places that offer a more local version even given its proximity to Naples.

As you might suspect, you need to be very selective about where to eat in tourist towns such as Sorrento. Stay clear of any places that posts outdoor multi-language menus and/or if the staff is standing outside trying to convince you to come in.

Here are two methods that should guide you, both have worked for me.

[...]
I appreciate your advice and have heard similar suggestions on other travels. To go where the locals go and not jump into the places teeming with tourism. I would much rather find smaller places with great food and honest staff, than the tourism places where they drag you in from the street. Sorrento and it's area is quite large though, and I'm not sure how easy it is to find such places when I'm there, so I'm hoping to find out as much as I can before we travel.

I will try to ask the locals for advice. Thank you.

I once asked the same question of Marco, a forum member who introduced all of us to the authentic neapolitan pizza methods here on the forum, and also sells Neapolitan ovens with floors made there in the sorrento area.  He grew up in Naples Italy, and also knows the food scene around Sorrento quite well. 

[...]
As much as I would like to, we probably won't be eating pizza every day ( ;D ), so I will definitely want to find places where we can eat other kinds of food. Thank you for the recommendations.

While on the subject, do you remember any pizza places to visit in Naples? I'll do a search for Marco's posts on the subject. We'll spend at least one day there and probably eat at least two meals in Naples, haven't planned out the trip in detail yet. I could take such a trip simply to eat pizza, but it's not the primary goal.  :) :pizza:

Thanks for the suggestions, Scott.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 04:21:07 PM »
http://www.xn--50kal-yta.it/

beware the wait can get quite long on weekend nights.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 06:24:07 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline ebpizza

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 04:30:41 PM »
I'd recommend:

Pizza - > Gino Sorbillo or Pizzeria Di Matteo in the historic center
Non Pizza -> http://www.lacasadininetta.it/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187785-d1894965-Reviews-La_Casa_Di_Ninetta-Naples_Province_of_Naples_Campania.html

Let me know if you make it to 50 Kalo, it's on my list for this summer.

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 11:42:04 AM »
Time for a summary. Thanks for all suggestions and tips.

We stayed in Seiano, a bit outside Sorrento, so we ate most meals around there. The hotel had a restaurant in the complex that we ate at four times, and after all's said and ate, I think they make really good pizza. It's called Sapori. I don't know how fast they baked, but I'd guess something under 3 minutes. The pies had a nice, soft and airy crust with great ingredients. I mostly had margheritas, with and without buffalo cheese, where I preferred them with. The tomatoes were maybe not as good as in Naples, but definitely very tasty. I really recommend this place if you are looking for a good pizza in Sorrento or Seiano.

We only had one day in Naples, unfortunately. Wish it'd been more, but with just one week and not having other things to do in Naples than eat pizza, that's what I got.

We first went to 50 Kalò, a bit on the outside of the town centre, but very close to a Metro station. We arrived around 30 minutes after they opened and got a table within five minutes. I had a margherita con buffalo and glass or red wine. This pie was incredible. The soft tenderness, the flavors. Amazing. My favorite sauce of the trip.

Second visit was da Michele. After wondering how the takeaway queue worked, I just walked up to the door and asked "takeaway" and was let in. 15-20 minutes later of watching them pump out pies, I got mine and went out to eat it on a bench. Also a really good pie with great taste. I did prefer 50 Kalò, maybe because I ate it at a table with knife and fork. Being takeaway, the crust might have fallen a bit, but the pie was great. If you got the time to wait, eat inside.

We also had some ice cream at somewhere I saw someone recommend. Great stuff.

I wish I could've said we also tried Sorbillo, which I had planned for last, but because of some unfortunate events that I won't elaborate on, we had to cancel that visit. It was the placed I was most looking forward to after 50 Kalò, so I was quite disappointed. Still, the pies I had were incredible and there's no doubt Neapolitan will be my future goal at home (whenever we buy a house where I can have an outside oven). It was a big bonus that the restaurant in Seiano had such great pies, so I'm pretty happy with the trip. I had one day without pizza in one week, and wish I could've had it that day too. :D

I did wonder during my visit, how the pies would've tasted with sourdough. I make only sourdough now and love the flavors it gives. A proper Neapolitan with sourdough is something I'm looking forward to, but I assume I'll have to make it myself first.

What struck me most on my trip was the flavor of the tomatoes. They were absolutely incredible and I'm going to miss them a lot. I really hope to find even better tomatoes than the ones I'm using these days.

Naples as a city is not something I have a great need to return to, but I could see myself taking a 2-3 days trip sometime and eat more pizza.

On the day of our return, I was craving one more pie, so I dropped my GF off at the airport (despite her dislike with my plan) and drove back 20 minutes to eat at Salvo Pizzaioli. If I had more time, I'd gone to Sorbillo or something but it would have taken too long getting into Naples. I had a Margherita Vusevius. It was good, but the tomatoes were noticeably less tasteful than the others.

In ranking the placed we tried, I'd go: 50 Kalò, da Michele, Sapori, Salvo.

wordpress