A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Pizza baking sheet on top of steel  (Read 895 times)

Offline papimatthews

• I Love Pizza!
Pizza baking sheet on top of steel
« on: May 12, 2018, 03:17:04 PM »
Hello fam!

Looking to ask how do you find baking a pizza on a baking sheet on top of steel\stone that has been preheated, instead of sliding it in with a peel!? Would this give me a more dominos\papa johns\pizza hut pizza?

I tend to use the pizza steel and throw naked pizzas, but with the baking sheet it would allow me to spend more time building the pizza and working on toppings. I love the big bubbles I get from my steel but wouldn't mind compromising these bubbles if I get a more papa johns feel for my pizza!

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
Re: Pizza baking sheet on top of steel
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 05:35:48 PM »
Another option is to use parchment paper (not wax paper) - cut out a circle about 1/4 inch less than your planned pizza size. You can lay the dough on the paper and take all day if you want - works great (better than a solid pan or pizza screen). You can / should pull out the paper after a few mins, once the pie is firmed up and finish directly on the steel, just work the peel in between the crust and paper - lift the corner and pull out the paper. The only thing is be careful - the pizza will slide off the peel really fast compared to a dough on a peel w/o the paper.
Norm
Baker's Pride GP-61 NG, Baker's Pride M02T 220V, PizzaParty Ardore (with saputo tiles) LP
Focus is NY style but do others too
Preferred Flour (for NY pies) is All Trumps BB
Preferred temperature for NY is 550F, for NP 900+F
Preferred type of yeast IDY

Offline MadMatt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 05:42:29 PM »
Have you tried using parchment paper  you just put it on the steel or stone for a short time, then remove it as the high temp will burn it pretty quick.   Parchment papers not really meant for such high temps but having it in a few minutes should be fine.

According to Pete-zza of this forum who made a  wonderful Papa Johns clone recipe,  some of the Papa Johns stores have changed from the mesh screens to super perforated disks like this

https://www.amnow.com/product-category/superperf-disks/

I have seen on here that those mesh screens can work pretty well on stones with  with the radiant heat they give off.  I remember trying it on steel but I only had it on there a short time before putting it directly on the steel that gave it a lot of nice browning.  I'll have it bake a pizza 100% of time mesh on steel to say how well it works. 

Personally I do not like the mesh screens as I sometimes found the dough would go through the holes when loading with toppings.   

I think if you used one of those disks instead of a screen the difference would be  the screen is more radiant heat where there's not much contact with metal. The disk even with all those holes has a lot more actual contact with the dough.

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 06:58:00 PM »
I have used parchment paper about 100 times w/o any issues - as long as it is not exposed it works great - since the wet dough is laying to top of it it never gets too hot. I'm pretty sure that is the same reason you can boil water in a a styrofoam cup. But I have never left it in more than 3-4 min.

I have also cooked a lot of pies on screens and on the metal sheets (with hexagonal holes) and I have used the ones you mentioned - they work OK - the difference is the parchment paper is almost transparent to heat conduction and the screen blocks it a bit and can warp, lifting them up from the deck. I don't really understand why you think radiant heat from the disk has anything to do with cooking the bottom of the pizza. The only down side, is parchment paper does not come large enough to cook a 16 inch pie - but most here don't anyway.

BTW - I would never recommend anything that I have not tried unless I said "I have not tried this" if you search the forum you can find many others who have used parchment paper or are still using it.

Photo of my screen collection below.....
Norm
Baker's Pride GP-61 NG, Baker's Pride M02T 220V, PizzaParty Ardore (with saputo tiles) LP

Offline MadMatt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 08:03:11 PM »
I have used parchment paper about 100 times w/o any issues - as long as it is not exposed it works great - since the wet dough is laying to top of it it never gets too hot. I'm pretty sure that is the same reason you can boil water in a a styrofoam cup. But I have never left it in more than 3-4 min.

I have also cooked a lot of pies on screens and on the metal sheets (with hexagonal holes) and I have used the ones you mentioned - they work OK - the difference is the parchment paper is almost transparent to heat conduction and the screen blocks it a bit and can warp, lifting them up from the deck. I don't really understand why you think radiant heat from the disk has anything to do with cooking the bottom of the pizza. The only down side, is parchment paper does not come large enough to cook a 16 inch pie - but most here don't anyway.

BTW - I would never recommend anything that I have not tried unless I said "I have not tried this" if you search the forum you can find many others who have used parchment paper or are still using it.

Photo of my screen collection below.....

If you're talking to me I mean using a pizza screen with a lot of holes  will expose the bottom of the pizza to  more  radiant heat  rather than conductive heat with something solid.   ??? 

Nice screen collection have you tried the flame disk can't tell from the photo? 

What are you using these screens on a conveyor  oven, stone, steel?

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 08:16:10 PM »
Interested to know what a "flame disk" is I don't think I have heard or it. OK, I see what you mean about the holes - I thought you were saying the disk itself was somehow contributing to more radiated heat.

I have cooked with these in an electric home oven, in a gas home oven and I have a Bakers Pride (BP) small electric deck and a BP GP-61 gas deck oven. I think using a screen (or something else) is really a decision everyone should make for themselves based on what they are trying to do and what oven they are cooking in - I just wanted to let papimatthews know he has parchment paper in the tool box.

Links to my two BP ovens below...

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=50540.0

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=50292.msg505792#msg505792

PS. Forgot to mention - I have cooked on different types of stone and also on steel plates.... never had or have used a conveyor oven.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 08:20:39 PM by norcoscia »
Norm

Offline MadMatt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 08:31:52 PM »
Interested to know what a "flame disk" is I don't think I have heard or it. OK, I see what you mean about the holes - I thought you were saying the disk itself was somehow contributing to more radiated heat.

I have cooked with these in an electric home oven, in a gas home oven and I have a Bakers Pride (BP) small electric deck and a BP GP-61 gas deck oven. I think using a screen (or something else) is really a decision everyone should make for themselves based on what they are trying to do and what oven they are cooking in - I just wanted to let papimatthews know he has parchment paper in the tool box.

Links to my two BP ovens below...

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=50540.0

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=50292.msg505792#msg505792

PS. Forgot to mention - I have cooked on different types of stone and also on steel plates.... never had or have used a conveyor oven.

Forgive me it's called the hearth bake disk, but there's a uk pan manufacturer that sells one similar called flame.

https://www.lloydpans.com/pizza-tools/pizza-disks/hearth-bake-disks

Offline norcoscia

• I really Love Pizza!
    • MyPizzaMaster
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2018, 09:01:55 PM »
I do have (and have used) some from LloydPans but not those (the ones I have from LloydPans are below) - the LloydPans do work a bit better than the cheap-o ones I have tried they are very non stick but the cheaper ones work OK if you season them. Did LloydPans just start selling them - I don't remember seeing them listed before. Interesting, thanks for posting.

https://www.lloydpans.com/pizza-tools/pizza-disks/hex-quik-disks
Norm

Offline SonVolt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 10:42:44 AM »
Setting your pizza pan directly on top of a preheated Baking Steel works great for Pizza Hut-style pizzas where it's assembled in a pan. Just don't crank the oven too hot or you can scorch the bottom. I typically go for 425F-450F for these style pies.

https://i.imgur.com/z27qCiH.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/zKeFgrA.jpg
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 12:57:39 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 02:36:58 PM »
Both PJ's and Domino's use air impingement ovens to bake their pizzas. The disks will NOT bake the same, or anything close, in any type of a deck oven as they do in an air impingement oven. I'm in agreement that your best bet might be to begin the baking process on a silicone baking sheet and then remove it after a couple minutes to finish baking right on the steel deck.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Greavous

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2019, 04:54:00 PM »
What I have done is I bought a cheap pizza sheet and took it out to the workshop and beat the lip flat on about half of the circumference of the sheet pan.  I then build my pizza on the sheet pan with some corn flour used for making corn tortillas, its much finer than corn meal and has been cooked before turned into flour where corn meal is just dried corn ground up.  Anyway, I place the pizza on top of the pizza steel and give it 3 minutes and then shake the pizza off the sheet pan and directly onto the pizza steel.  The pie holds its shape as it sets up in during the 3 minute cook.  The result is a round pizza with a very nicely browned bottom.

I also use the sheet pan to remove the pie by sliding the modified lip under the crust just like you would with a peel.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 04:55:34 PM by Greavous »

Offline mhlang99

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2019, 04:10:56 PM »
Norcoscia:  "The only down side, is parchment paper does not come large enough to cook a 16 inch pie". A standard sheet, for a full size sheet pan, of parchment paper is 16X24

Offline MadMatt

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2019, 05:15:57 PM »
Never had any issue with using baking paper on steel and often I'll reuse it 2 maybe 3 times until it becomes brittle.

wordpress