A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: New mobile wood fired pizza oven business - my progress blog.  (Read 5252 times)

Offline hotpaddlepizza

• I Love Pizza!
Re: New mobile wood fired pizza oven business - my progress blog.
« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2018, 06:40:41 PM »
Bought my self a dough mixer. Does anyone know the max dough weights for a 20qt hobart?

I use a 20qt hobart and do roughly 9kg total weight batches of dough at about 67% hydration.

Offline kelsa1210

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #81 on: September 17, 2018, 06:15:55 PM »
Well done man. enjoyed reading this.  :pizza:

Offline G19doug

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #82 on: September 18, 2018, 03:13:39 AM »
Things have slowed down a little as I’ve had to spend some time getting our house ready to go on the market and moving the family into a static caravan on our new building plot.

The plan is that we will probably not be doing much building during the winter so as soon as the empty house is decorated and on the market I can concentrate on the pizza business and finishing the trailer.

We had some family down at the weekend so I pulled the oven over to my parents house and knocked out 40 pies. The neighbours all turned up too! No help from the wife this time so that was 40pies opened, prepped and cooked all in my own. It was a bit of a whirlwind! The whole operation draws a crowd so I ended up answering lots of questions while cooking. Only burnt one pie though. :-)

I experimented with what I might call A Very British Pizza. When I was making the dough balls I folded some Marmite into 3 of them. I then cooked them with a cheese topping that was heavy in mature cheddar. It was a bit of a gimmick but everyone was desperate to try them and all three got sliced and disappeared out of the boxes into the crowd almost instantly.

Offline G19doug

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #83 on: September 18, 2018, 03:16:06 AM »
I use a 20qt hobart and do roughly 9kg total weight batches of dough at about 67% hydration.

That’s a much higher hydration than I use. I’m at 61%. How are they to ball up? Are they sticky?

Offline elgary

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #84 on: September 20, 2018, 09:19:50 PM »
Made my first stainless steel turning peel.

Hello

I like your turning peel a lot, would you be kind enough to tell us how you made it?

I would like to make one myself, but I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to come up with a plan/schematic to make a peel like yours, but I sure as heck am good at following directions to make one, if I had a plan/schematic to follow.

If you can't tell us, I appreciate it anyways

Good luck with your business, you are very inspiring

Thanks

Gary

Offline G19doug

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #85 on: October 31, 2018, 03:14:17 PM »
Hey Gary,

Where are you based? I can send you some parts if in the UK? Or happy to send you the drawings so you can have your laser cut in stainless steel.

Offline G19doug

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #86 on: October 31, 2018, 03:17:11 PM »
Trailer build has slowed to a holt as we get our house sorted but the good news is it goes on the market Monday so from then on in i'm all about the pizza!

Current day dreams about the trailer are how to solve the fly probelm in the summer, how to solve the heat problem in the summer? Mounted fans? What sort of EPOS system to install? What sort of sound system to install? Should i have a lit Fire Stone Pizza sign that goes on the top of the trailer so people can pick us out at events in the evening?

Offline elgary

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2018, 11:51:28 PM »
Hey Gary,

Where are you based? I can send you some parts if in the UK? Or happy to send you the drawings so you can have your laser cut in stainless steel.

Hello G19doug

I am based in Acapulco, México for now, so I would appreciate your drawings if you are willing to share them with me, thanks.

As for your fly problem, like I mentioned, I live in Acapulco, México, and it's hot and humid and sticky all year long, so there are flies everywhere! I use a bug zapper and that takes care of my fly problem, I have my oven outdoors so the zapper works great for me.

You will be mobile, so I am not sure if it would work the same for you.

They have them at amazon, here is a link.   https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078NJ4TF7/?tag=pmak-20

Keep us posted on your mobile pizzeria, We can't wait to see it up and running, I am sure you will do great and sell tons of pies for years to come.

Gary

Offline DavidM

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #88 on: December 15, 2018, 08:55:33 AM »
There are so many great threads on this forumn for various reasons, and this is one of them - I hope you can give us an update soon?

I'm a big believer in seasonal and local ingredients, but your Marmite inclusion made me rethink that entirely!  :-D

- seriously, bravo, and a Marmite follow-up wouldn't hurt despite my reluctance to ask!

Cheers

Offline benk72

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #89 on: December 20, 2018, 08:30:44 PM »
I really enjoyed reading this thread and would love to hear any updates if you have them.

Offline G19doug

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #90 on: January 09, 2019, 03:13:42 PM »
Ok, i'm back!

Thanks for the kind words about the thread. I kind of like up dating it with my plans as it holds me accountable.

Old house hasn't sold yet, but that means i don't have the finance to build the new house.... and therfore there is a gap in the schedule big enough to finish a pizza trailer!

I have been ticking away slowly. I bought a refrigerated counter top and i've designed my own peels. Pictures to follow.

Progress should get a lot swifter over the next few weeks. I'm determined to be up and running for the summer season. I missed out on a job to cater for 50 the other day.

Offline Little bean

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • DiLauro’s Pizzeria
« Reply #91 on: January 10, 2019, 04:26:05 PM »
Ok, i'm back!

Thanks for the kind words about the thread. I kind of like up dating it with my plans as it holds me accountable.

Old house hasn't sold yet, but that means i don't have the finance to build the new house.... and therfore there is a gap in the schedule big enough to finish a pizza trailer!

I have been ticking away slowly. I bought a refrigerated counter top and i've designed my own peels. Pictures to follow.

Progress should get a lot swifter over the next few weeks. I'm determined to be up and running for the summer season. I missed out on a job to cater for 50 the other day.
Please keep us updated

wordpress