A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Backyard pizza oven project  (Read 680 times)

Offline Rick_F

• I Love Pizza!
Backyard pizza oven project
« on: May 19, 2018, 02:34:40 PM »
I started this project back in March/April of 2015.  It took about 4 or 5 months of weekends and holidays of working on it to get it to a point where it could be used, because I can't say I ever quite finished it.  Projects are rarely ever done, right? :-D

With that said, I have never worked construction, electrical or plumbing before.  I am an internet/youtube alumni, lol.  There are many flaws in the construction craftsmanship of this monstrosity, and many, many more in its design.  I embarked on this endeavor after spending a good amount of time on traditionaloven .com and forno bravo, and way before I spent much time on pizzamaking.com.  I downloaded the pompeii oven plans from forno bravo and off I went.  I wish I had found this forum first and learned to use it, but hindsight is always 20/20.  There is SO MUCH awesome information here in this forum.  So many great individuals sharing ideas, recipes, workflows, construction methods and advice.  There are many things I now know that I would have done different when building this project.  Nevertheless, the oven can give me some delicious pizza and in the end, that is what is most important.

The things I would have done different:

1- Built a Neapolitan style oven vs pompeii
2- Used a sand form for the dome, and better forms for the entry arches
3- Used low duty brick or saputo tiles for the oven floor to reduce conductivity
4- Spent more time studying proper vent shapes, flue diameters, etc.
5- Not build dome on top of floor
6- Tighter, neater, better filled mortar joints
7- Slightly larger oven diameter
8- And last (but also least important), I may have wanted to go for a round-ish more traditional shaped exterior vs the square

I used 4.5" perlite/cement mix for under the oven floor.  I used Roxul rockwool for around the dome, and filled in gaps with loose-fill perlite.  The insulation works great!  I can use the oven all day and the walls outside the oven are cool to the touch even though there is only probably 3" of it at the thinnest places.

I had never worked with a woodfired oven before, so there was that learning curve (so, so curved!).  Learning about good firewood was important too.  I live in the hot Arizona desert, and firewood knowledge is about as useful as building igloos around here.  Learned the hard way about properly seasoned wood.

My wife's stepdad helped me out so much, I couldn't have done it without him.  Together we figured out things as they came along.  I tried to keep everything as inexpensive as I could, hitting up craigslist for cheap/free items as much as possible.  All in all it was very fun to build!  I also have to thank my wife for her tolerance throughout the whole process.

I'm not very good with the camera, but I did take some pictures as the project carried on.  Hope you enjoy!  Will also post pics of pizza under the Neapolitan section.  My pizzas are not traditional Neapolitan, but that is the style here I best identify with.

For the pizza pics you can see my post at https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=52700.new#new

« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 05:46:46 PM by Rick_F »

Offline Rick_F

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Backyard pizza oven project
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 02:57:47 PM »
Pics!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 11:04:08 AM by Rick_F »

Offline Rick_F

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 03:03:36 PM »
More pics

Offline Rick_F

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 03:10:28 PM »
More pics, some of the first pizzas

Offline Rick_F

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 03:11:02 PM »
Few more + yours truly

Offline Jon in Albany

• Lifetime Member
    • Jon In Albany Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 03:52:47 PM »
Really like the look of your space. It looks very inviting. Pizza looks good too!

Offline Rick_F

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2018, 04:17:46 PM »
Thank you Jon!

The pizza is a work in progress, and it's a lot better now thanks to this forum.  Still a long ways to go, but always improving.
I keep learning new things here every day!

Offline sodface

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 05:41:36 PM »
Really like the look of your space. It looks very inviting. Pizza looks good too!

^^^

A menu and everything!  Looks awesome!
Carl

wordpress