A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Tight smooth round airy dough balls  (Read 331 times)

Offline Maestro Palla

• I Love Pizza!
Tight smooth round airy dough balls
« on: March 24, 2020, 04:30:54 AM »
Hello guys,

I did a 48h RT (18-22 °C) dough with Caputo Rossa. The problem was, that the dough balls were too flat and extensible. No spring at all in my Effe Uno P134H.

Here is the recipe I was using (calculated with PizzApp):

500 g Caputo Rossa
300 g Water
15   g Salt
0,07 g IDY

1. Mixed water + Salt
2. Added some flour
3. Added yeast
4. Added rest of the flour
5. Mixed everything and kneaded for maybe 5 minutes
6. Let rest for 15 minutes
7. Now the dough was a lot smoother. Kneaded again for 2-3 minutes.
8. Let rest for 15 minutes
9. Kneaded again for 2-3 minutes
10. Made a big ball. Smooth surface. Duogh springs back immediatly when poked with finger (finished dough temperature around 23°C)
11. After a few minutes rest, I made balls 250 g each and put in box
12. 48h rest at about 18-22°C

Like I said, the dough was too flat and extensible. What was my mistake? I actualy want nice bloated round airy dough balls after fermentation. Balls which I can
take out of the box easily with my 10cm spatula.

Probably 48h fermentation in balls is too long? Better 40h in bulk and just 8h in ball?

Or maybe I should knead the dough more after mixing all the ingredients to make the gluten stronger? But I never see a difference, wether I knead for 5 or 20 minutes, to be honest.

Perhaps I dont ball tight enough? Is it due to not sealing them properly after shaping?

Also, can I assume, that the higher the hydration of the dough, the lower the proofing in balls should be? Is it a bad idea to proof a 70% hydration dough for 24h only in balls? Would that for sure lead to flat dough balls?

Please help me guys!

Cheers,
Maestro Palla
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 04:32:28 AM by Maestro Palla »

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Tight smooth round airy dough balls
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 10:02:08 AM »
the dough was too flat and extensible. What was my mistake?

Answer: "48h rest at about 18-22°C".  I don't think there are many doughs with a finished dough temperature of 23°C that can tolerate a fermentation time of 48h at 18-22°C. 

I would experiment by increasing the amount of yeast in your formula and fermenting the dough at a FIXED, CONTROLLED temperature for a much shorter time.  There are some great recipes and workflows you can follow in this forum (eg. TXCraig1's thread which is stickied at the top of the Neapolitan Pizza sub-forum).  For videos in English, take a look at Vito Iacopelli's channel on YouTube.

Rolls
Getting old, memory is the second thing to go......Can't remember the first.

Offline amolapizza

• If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 10:29:18 AM »
I've done quite a few 32 hours doughs with the Caputo saccorosso lately.  Dough was for roman tonda (scrocchiarella) pizza so about 56% hydration with some added oil.  I did 24 hours bulk and 8 hours in balls at ~20C.

I ended up using a really miniscule amount of fresh cake yeast.  0.03g for 452g flour...  If I don't miscalculate that's about 0.0067%...  I'm not quite sure how it can be that low, but it's what worked for me. :D

Forming the balls was a bit more difficult than after just 1 hour of bulk, but the final dough balls were very workable when I wanted to open them.  Note that I prefer them not too gassy, especially for the really thin scrocchiarella (180g balls opened to 30cm without any real cornicione).
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 10:31:47 AM by amolapizza »
Jack,

Effeuno P134H (1700W upper element), EGO 500C Thermostat (upper), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Sacorosso, Mutti Pelati Bio.

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
  • 5 years and closer to. . a really Good Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 11:06:27 AM »
We use quite different schedules in our doughmaking. I prefer 24 hours and use about 14 in bulk and 10 in ball but everyone finds their most comfortable method. My take is that the 48 hours at that temperature is pushing it. The longer I leave my dough in ball the more extensible it seems. Because flour is relatively cheap, perhaps try a similar dough and methods and cutting the yeast and time down to a 24 hour dough to see what difference it makes. I suppose you don’t even have to bake it, but why not have a pizza. I have had some success with my 10 hour dough, my usual 24 hour dough but earlier attempts at a 48 hour dough similar to Craig’s we unsuccessful.
There are many with more experience, but here is my suggestion. Good luck , hope you find a solution that suits you.
PizzaParty 70x70, saputo floor

Offline wotavidone

• Supporting Member
  • A pizza is not a pie
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 03:33:29 PM »
room temp fermentation for me = about 4 hours in balls.
Your situation would be saved by a re-ball about 2 hours before use.
Interested as to why you want to do 48 hours in balls?
Mick

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 08:45:13 PM »
Hello,

70% HR is on the high side, 48H RTF is on the long side -> that's 2 factors which added together give exponential difficulty to manage. I never succeed with a 48H RTF (I tried 2 times with SD, not with yeast yet), and I'd be curious to know why some much people want to make 48H RTF, specially for home or commercial setting. You get great results (and easier dough management) with 24H RTF; 72H CF... I understand if it's for personal record though.

Anyway, I'd suggest you lower one of these factors first: hydration or duration (I don't know your pizza experience so I don't know which other solution could be the best!).
What do you think?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 08:52:49 PM by Yael »
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline Maestro Palla

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: Today at 03:29:12 AM »
Hey guys,

switched to this recipe:

100% caputo rossa
60% hydration
3% salt
0,045% IDY

[email protected]°C, 18+6

For me, very good results now. Next step is pushing the hydration a bit.

Cheers,
Maestro Palla