A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: center of pizza too thin....  (Read 154 times)

Offline Trigpizza

• I Love Pizza!
center of pizza too thin....
« on: April 07, 2020, 07:37:37 PM »
hey all.. quick question... my last two pizza sessions gave me a good pizza all around, however the center of the pizza was almost paper thin after stretching and cooking it in the roccbox... it was to the point where I had to be sooooo careful to turn it, or the center would tear due to how thin..

am I stretching it too much?

ive been told that if the bottom of the dough ball has a crease, It can create a thin center. any truth? (and by thin, I mean paper thin.... but only the very center.)

thanks all!

Offline amolapizza

• If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
Re: center of pizza too thin....
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 07:47:43 PM »
I used to struggle with this, and have never really seen it explained.

IMO, you need to leave a small bulge in the middle, don't press it as thin as you can, then you need to stretch the edge and not the middle when you do the slap.  It's hard to explain but you'll get it, stretch the upper edge and slap/turn it.  If you pull the left side away from the right side, the middle gets really thin real fast.  Hold the right side down with you stretched out fingers, and not the heel of the hand.
Jack

Effeuno P134H (1700W upper element), EGO 500C Thermostat (upper), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Sacorosso, Mutti Pelati Bio.

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 08:24:13 PM »
As Jack said, most of times when the center is too thin it's because of a stretching problem.
A dough ball that is not properly balled can also lead to a thinner center (I'm thinking for example for late balling, the gluten network is already made, and at this point balling looks like re-balling). The center of the dough ball would have like a hole, or a crater, and when you open the ball into a skin the center is much thinner (and it's usually a disaster).
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 10:09:31 PM »
You didn't mention anything about the size of the dough skin or the weight of the dough ball, this can have an impact on it too. If the problem is just due to opening technique you might want to try this to get things started:
Use a rolling pin to open the dough ball to within  2-inches of the desired diameter, then finish opening the dough by hand.
I've got a video of this procedure being used commercially. It works well and we get individuals who have never opened a dough ball by hand doing it in no time at all. Once you begin to get the hang of it you won't need to use the rolling pin anymore. P.M. me with your email address or send me an email at <[email protected]> and ask for the dough opening video.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Trigpizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 04:08:51 PM »
thanks so much for the replies fellas...

the dough ball is 250 grams each.. I made 4 balls... I used the PizzApp for a dough hydration of 63% and a RT ferment time of 10 hours. Instant yeast was used as my fresh yeast which was in the freezer seems to have finally died.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T