A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: The Doughs of My Life  (Read 33663 times)

Offline Roadrunner

• I Love Pizza!
Re: The Doughs of My Life
« Reply #640 on: December 04, 2019, 06:13:39 PM »
very interesting method.  looks great!

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Bella Pizze!
« Reply #641 on: December 06, 2019, 01:50:17 PM »
I believe you rival the Pizzaiolos in Napoli with your skill and creativity Arne!  Always inspiring!
Pizza Party 70x70 WFO/Saupto Floor

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #642 on: December 12, 2019, 01:26:21 PM »
Jon, Greg, Roadrunner, Scott: Thanks for you kind comments!

I let the torch rest today and tried my hands on fried pizza instead. This is something I've only ever eaten once before. It was in Naples, but it was actually not that memorable. This may very well be because I was stuffed, however; we had been eating pizza for lunch, snacks and dinner four days in a row before that, and the fried pizza was my last pie on that trip.

Anyway, I found myself craving deep fried pizza for some reason. After a little research I settled on the following:

Dough: 100% Caputo Pizzeria, 62% tap water, 2.9% salt, 0.031% CY.
Fermentation: 22 hours (11+11) at 20-21 C. I spied 1,7x volume increase at that point.
Filling: Ricotta, mozzarella, tomatoes, pancetta, black pepper, and a few basil leaves.
Doug ball size: 150 grams.

The oil was not supposed to be warmed beyond 175C according to the packaging. I tried that, but it took forever and the results were poor, so I increased the temperature to right around 200C instead. That worked much better! (Hopefully with no ill effects on our bodies, or at least no more than already associated with fried pizza)

The results were pretty good we thought. I'm not sure where to go from here, however. Surely there are plenty of ways to improve the results, but since I'm not that familiar with the style, I would not know where to start. The next time I visit Naples I will have to try out more examples for sure!

For now, my craving is satisfied and the next time I think I'll go welder style again.

Some photos below. Cheers!

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
  • 5 years and closer to. . a really Good Pizza!
« Reply #643 on: December 13, 2019, 12:15:33 PM »
Arne, I am sorry you are going to shelve that project, though I look forward to the next instalment of Arnes Welder Style Pizza.
I have been wanting to try a deep fry of my own but one of us is a tad shy of large quantities of boiling oil, perhaps Calamari size is also pushing it. It may well have been the deep fried turkey we tried, which involved not only boiling oil but flaming torch as well! One day soon I will have to try my hand, though once again I have nothing to compare it to.

I enjoy your thorough reports and your inquisitive adventuresome pursuits and hope they continue.

I found and watched this little video by Enzo Coccia and was pleased to find the English subtitles worked. It should help a bit in my attempts.

PizzaParty 70x70, saputo floor

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #644 on: December 14, 2019, 06:35:23 AM »
The project may be on the backburner for a while, but I have actually ordered Enzo's book on fried pizza now. :-D

It will hopefully be a good read for the Christmas holidays...

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #645 on: December 14, 2019, 01:48:57 PM »
And the book is in Italian?

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #646 on: December 14, 2019, 06:23:04 PM »
Yes it's in Italian. But I'm starting to get a grip on "pizza-Italian" so hopefully I'm good.

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Bella Pizze!
« Reply #647 on: December 14, 2019, 09:41:51 PM »
Arne:  I ever never eaten, or for that matter even seen, fried pizza.  That being said, from the pictures and videos I have watched, your fried pizza looks very authentic. 

I know enough Italian to eat and drink but reading and understanding a cook book in Italian would certainly be a challenge!!  I will be looking very forward to the "book report"!

Like Greg exclaimed, your experiments and thorough reporting are most fascinating!!

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #648 on: December 19, 2019, 12:40:36 PM »
Thanks Scott. I will definitely report back on that book. Hope it arrives soon...

Christmas time means mostly "traditional" food here, but I'm going to try squeezing in a pizza dinner between Christmas and New year. :)

Offline Lil Ralphie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #649 on: December 20, 2019, 08:12:25 PM »
Just starting page 7 on this great thread very informative I have a forno bravo wood fired oven hope to be up to speed pg 33 in a few days

Offline Lil Ralphie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #650 on: December 22, 2019, 01:52:15 PM »
Regarding reply 236 Marvelous bravo :drool: :drool:

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #651 on: December 25, 2019, 10:56:58 AM »
Thanks, Lil Ralphie. I'm glad to hear you're enjoing this thread. :)

It's Christmas Day and we are hungry for some pizza. A very small batch this time: only two pies, as the kids wanted frozen pizza. :-D

Ingredients
  • 50/50 blend of Caputo Cuoco and Caputo Pizzeria
  • 65% water
  • 2.9% salt
  • .023% CY

Fermentation: 42 hours (26+16) at 17C
Final rise: 1.9x

I was aiming to compensate for the extended fermentation time by using a stronger flour blend than last time and reducing the hydration to 65%. Perhaps this was a bit of an over compensation. I thought the tenderness was not quite there this time. For welder style, it seems very important to keep the hydration high for maximum pleasure.

Nevertheless, it was enjoyable and we got our "fix". :)

Edit: I did a few adjustments to the cooking setup this time. Instead of using a skillet on the stove, I used a pre-heated pizza stone instead. Since I am using the burner to cook the bottom anyway, I don't really need much heat on the buttom, just enough to set the bottom partially so that I can gently lift it with a spatula and torch the under side. Also, I placed the stone on top of a rotating plate, making it very easy to access all sides of the pie.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 11:05:39 AM by Arne_Jervell »

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #652 on: January 02, 2020, 11:57:16 AM »
I will be looking very forward to the "book report"!

I've just posted a short review in the Cookbook Reviews section.

Three important factors to succeed with fried pizza according to the book:
  • Use good oil: Olive oil or, alternatively, sunflower oil.
  • Change the oil when it changes color or becomes too viscous.
  • Never over-heat the oil

A number of different temperature ranges are given, but it seems that the proper cooking temperature for pizza is deemed to be around 190C. It also cautions against too low a temperature. This information is very much in line with what I experienced when I fried pizza a little while back.

The book contains two different dough recipes; one for montanara and one for the classic pizza fritta ("filled fried pizza").
The ingredients and ratios are the same:
  • 100% Flour
  • 62.5% water
  • 3.125% salt
  • 0.375% CY

What differs is the process after the mix:
Montanara: Cover & rest 30 minutes. Then make 50 gram balls. Cover & rest 10 hours at 18-22C
Filled pizza: Cover & rest 6-8 hours at 18-22C. Then make 150 gram balls. Cover & rest 2 hours.

As you can see, the total fermentation times and temperatures are about the same, but the bulk-to-ball time ratios differ. Enzo gives no explanation for these differences. Perhaps the shorter time in ball for stuffed fried pizza is to give it a bit more flexibility and strength to handle the filling...?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 12:00:17 PM by Arne_Jervell »

Offline amolapizza

• If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #653 on: January 02, 2020, 02:24:56 PM »
I think you are right.  Since the filled pizza has to hold much more filling, the dough probably needs to be more tenacious.
Jack,

Effeuno P134H (1700W upper element), EGO 500C Thermostat (upper), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Sacorosso, Mutti Pelati Bio.

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #654 on: January 03, 2020, 12:42:12 AM »
Deliveries accepted, see StoneMeadow for directions, will await delivery, sounds somewhat safer than Welder Style, but perhaps only because a survivor wrote a book!

Good fun Arne, enjoy your New Year!

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #655 on: January 07, 2020, 02:19:02 PM »
I found an old newspaper in the attic today and was shocked when I got to the cartoons section.

I can picture the round of guests gathered, the host in his Caputo T shirt, oven in the background, wine poured, asbestos plates on the table as the Pizzaioli moves carefully from plate to plate nursing a blonde dough into a Neapolitan pizza . . . More leoparding sir? Cheese melt OK? So sorry about your tie! Be right back with a new canister!

You had this vision a long time ago it seems, Greg.

I am shocked! Do you do time travel?

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #656 on: January 07, 2020, 07:58:33 PM »
Very Well Done, you amaze me Arne!

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Bella Pizze!
« Reply #657 on: January 08, 2020, 09:55:46 PM »
LoL!  That's hilarious!!!

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #658 on: January 15, 2020, 02:04:11 PM »
Making dinner for just myself today, I opted for a Scarpetta. It's been a while since I made one, it was a very welcome return.

The dough:
  • 100% flour (1/3 cuoco, 2/3 pizzeria)
  • 72% water
  • 2.9% salt
  • 0.023% CY

It fermented for 22.5 hours (11+11.5) at 22-23C. The pluviometer showed 33.5 mm, or about 2.2x rise, when I started shaping the pie.

Ideally, I would have chosen shorter time in balls, and also I would have monitored the fermentation more closely. But seeing as I had to build the fermentation schedule around a work day (and a night), there was little flexibility this time.

The resulting dough was really weak and required almost no handling to become a flat disc. After transferring it to the stone and correcting as best I could, the shape still ended up a little more "blobby" than circular. Let's call it personality.

As for the eating experience, it was very good. The crust was very soft and light, and the cheese/tomato combo as good as ever. The Scarpetta is definitely one of my favorite pies.

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #659 on: January 15, 2020, 02:43:48 PM »
Unbelievable!! How is the taste and texture

wordpress