A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: The Doughs of My Life  (Read 42014 times)

Offline Arne_Jervell

• I Love Pizza!
Re: The Doughs of My Life
« Reply #680 on: March 10, 2020, 11:01:26 AM »
Arne, I think the cold is taking a toll on you.  It’s best you leave right away for a Holiday in a warmer climate! :-D
:-D yeah I wish...

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
  • 5 years and closer to. . a really Good Pizza!
« Reply #681 on: March 11, 2020, 12:34:50 AM »
Upgrade, always there is an upgrade. You may want to put aside your chosen winter attire, oh, sorry replace it, so you can upgrade your oven substitute . . .just until the Spring Thaw and after your welder style Therapy sessions.

https://www.cnet.com/news/grillgun-gas-torch-lights-up-your-grill-in-seconds/

PizzaParty 70x70, saputo floor

Offline Stein Erik

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #682 on: March 27, 2020, 04:32:14 AM »
I'm new here at this forum. Have been on different Facebook groups so far, but being here is at a completely different level.

My goal is to make a pizza as close as possible to a Da Michele pizza. And its hard. But I have read every single post in this thread and have learned a lot. Will try to make pizza based on the advice her next time, hopefully I can make it in my wood fired oven.

Thank you Arne for sharing your knowledge and results here.  :chef:

Offline Arne_Jervell

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #683 on: March 28, 2020, 07:06:26 AM »
I'm new here at this forum. Have been on different Facebook groups so far, but being here is at a completely different level.

My goal is to make a pizza as close as possible to a Da Michele pizza. And its hard. But I have read every single post in this thread and have learned a lot. Will try to make pizza based on the advice her next time, hopefully I can make it in my wood fired oven.

Thank you Arne for sharing your knowledge and results here.  :chef:
Welcome to the board, Stein Erik. Fun to see a fellow countryman. In fact there are actually a few of us here now. Hope you find as much inspiration, information and companionship here that I have.

Offline Arne_Jervell

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #684 on: March 29, 2020, 05:54:17 AM »
Spring time has officially arrived. Yes, there are sub-zero night temperatures and daytime temperatures are around 4 degrees C, but the weather is good and we are nearing April. So, I have unpacked the oven and warmed it up slowly over a week. Yesterday for lunch, finally, I made pizza in the WFO again.

My shipment of Caputo flour from my usual supplier seemed uncertain, but I found Petra 5063 "Special" at my go-to Italian store in Oslo and decided to give it a try. The specs look quite similar to Caputo Pizzeria, and searching the Internet for comments and reviews gave me the same impression. I decided to play it safe and opted for a dough of moderate hydration fermented at room temperature for less than 24 hours:

• 100% Flour (Petra 5063)
  • 65% Water
  • 2.9% Salt
  • 0.03% CY

Fermented at 22°C for 21 hours (14 in bulk, 7 in balls). The rain meter rose from around 15 mm to 31 mm, i.e. just about 2x rise, or a doubling in volume.

When making the dough, it did feel and handle a lot like Caputo Pizzeria.
After bulk, however, I though it presented as a bit weaker than a similar Pizzeria dough would under similar conditions. It also was more sticky than I am used to, but not too much.
I decided to ball them extra tight, just in case.

When it was time to cook them, I was surprised to see that the balls had collapsed to pancakes. I did not expect this to happen in just 7 hours for this dough, and like I said I also took care to build as much strength into the balls as I could. I'm including a photo of the pancakes below (flour was added for extraction purposes, almost forgot to snap a photo).

The resulting pizza was amazing, however. Really soft and light, and super tender. For some unknown reason, it seemed to lack a little salt. Not sure why this is, the salt percentage has been fixed for a long time now. We speculated that perhaps different flours accentuate salt differently. But nevermind, it tasted just heavenly.
After a winter of blowtorch pizza (which I still think tastes very good), it was a huge eye opener to taste "the real deal" again. Both the scent of it and the flavor of it, just so much more rich and complex than the comparatively "sterile" blowtorch pizza.

My Ischia culture seems to grow stronger every day, so next time I'm hoping I can use sourdough instead of CY (which in these days is also quite difficult to get a hold of as our yeast producers are struggling to meet demand).

A simple margherita with fiordilatte below. Few photos were taken in all the excitement.  :chef:
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 05:59:04 AM by Arne_Jervell »

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #685 on: March 29, 2020, 07:32:43 AM »
Hey Arne!

Good to see you in action again!

I've heard very good things about Petra flour from my Italian friends, it seems a lot of people are happy with their products.  Your panetti do indeed look over fermented/collapsed, which is somewhat of a pain to make pizza from, but normally makes very tasty pizza.  Though it looks like much more than doubling...

Could it be that you mismeasured the salt?  It might explain why it seemed to have less strength, fermented faster and seemed to lack salt taste wise?  I did the same yesterday but with the water.  I thought this dough came together too fast and seems too dry, so I pulled it out of the mixer and weighted it.  It seems likely that I measured 420g water instead of 470g, adding another 50g of water made the dough come out like I expected it.  If it was the salt I doubt that I would have caught it..
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline Arne_Jervell

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #686 on: March 29, 2020, 09:22:01 AM »
Jack, thanks for your comment. You make a good point, it is possible I made a mistake during salt measurement. It seems like an obvious explanation now that you pointed it out. :-D

I'll be sure to double check my measurements next time.

Offline Hanglow

• The next one will be better
« Reply #687 on: March 29, 2020, 10:25:21 AM »
Looking good Arne, I will be firing up my WFO tomorrow for the first time in a few months too :chef: Local bread flour is all that is available, so I am getting my excuses in early  :-D

Offline Arne_Jervell

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #688 on: March 29, 2020, 10:42:29 AM »
Looking good Arne, I will be firing up my WFO tomorrow for the first time in a few months too :chef: Local bread flour is all that is available, so I am getting my excuses in early  :-D

Thanks and wishing you all the best with the first bake of the season.  :chef:

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Belle Pizze!
« Reply #689 on: March 29, 2020, 01:30:34 PM »
Welcome back Arne and Hanglow!  So good to see you guys back in action!!
Pizza Party 70x70 WFO/Saupto Floor

Offline Stein Erik

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #690 on: April 01, 2020, 04:06:30 AM »
Welcome to the board, Stein Erik. Fun to see a fellow countryman. In fact there are actually a few of us here now. Hope you find as much inspiration, information and companionship here that I have.

Thank you! I've found a lot of inspiration here already. I've had my WFO for years so I've made lots of pizzas. But my approach so far has been quite random. During the last months, I've read a lot about fermentation and hydration and I've tried with 50h fermentation and almost 70 % hydration. The results have been an airy, crispy and chewy pizza. Not what I'm looking for. So now I'm going to make a pizza this weekend with my Caputo Pizzeria flour and go for 24 hours and 63% hydration. My end goal is to be able to make quite consistent results as close as possible to the pizza I've eaten in Naples.

Offline Arne_Jervell

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #691 on: April 05, 2020, 02:16:32 PM »
My Ischia starter has been looking nice and healthy for about a week now, going wild after each daily feeding. It was time to make pizza with it!

I went with a similar recipe as my previous bake: 100% Petra 5063, 65% water, 2.9% salt, 4.2% SD for a predicted fermentation of 22 hours (14+8) at 21°C.

When I balled up the dough, I noticed it was a bit weak, just as I remarked last time. But no matter, I knew I had the salt amount correct this time, having double checked my measurements.

4 hours later, I see no rise. And the dough has collapsed completely. Not pancakes this time, but rather a puddle of wet, salty flour.

Just for fun I left the dough in the pluviometer. After the prescribed 22 hours it has risen some 10%.

Guess the culture was not ready after all.

Made pasta for dinner. :D

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #692 on: April 05, 2020, 03:15:03 PM »
Ouch . . . Would you like some chewy pizza?
Looking forward to the re-awakening of the starter, perhaps with the right attire and incantations You can get it to rise . . . .

Offline amolapizza

• Lifetime Member
  • If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #693 on: April 05, 2020, 04:18:21 PM »
I feel with you!

It's annoying to make dough that doesn't work like it's supposed to!

I also made pasta tonight.  Home made fettuccine alfredo (not due to dough failure though).
Jack

Effeuno P134H (500C), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Saccorosso, Mutti Pelati.

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Belle Pizze!
« Reply #694 on: April 05, 2020, 05:45:19 PM »
Pasta is always good!! :chef:
Pizza Party 70x70 WFO/Saupto Floor

Offline Arne_Jervell

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #695 on: April 07, 2020, 01:13:36 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement, friends. Making pasta was therapeutic, and seeing as I am working from home these days, I was able to try again the following day.

This time I thought I'd play it safe and go with IDY. Also, hydration was reduced to 63% to counter the pancake effect. The first thing I did waking up was preparing the dough as follows:
  • 100% Petra 5063
  • 63% Water
  • 2.9% Salt
  • 0.15% IDY

Planned fermentation was at 22°C for 10 hours.

Consumed by work I forgot about all my dough, however. When I after 7.5 hours rushed down to ball it, I found it had not grown at all! What gives? After forming the balls, I placed them in a warm room, about 26°C, to give it a fighting chance and mumbled some incantations for good measure.

A little more than 4 hours later, we were all starving and I simply could not wait any longer. At this point the volume expansion of the dough was merely 35% (20mm in the pluviometer). Not a good sign, but at least there'll be pizza.

After just 4 hours in balls, obviously under fermented and at only 63% hydration, I was expecting quite a bit of resistance when shaping these. But that was not the case. On the contrary, the balls had already collapsed into soft pancakes (see photo attached). They actually had a little more resistance to them than I expected from the looks of them, and working them into the appropriate shape was a breeze. In fact they felt pretty good.

The oven spring was overwhelming. With this little dough expansion prior to baking, I would normally expect a flat dense pie. This was far from it. The cornicione blew up like a champ after spending about a minute or so in the blazingly hot oven.

We made it easy on ourselves and went with just the classics: Margherita and marinara. It was good and we all ate more than we had to. With no guests to entertain, a couple of leftovers pies went into the freezer.

This is the fourth dough I've made with Petra 5063. Some things I've noted and which I'll be keeping an eye on going forward:
  • After initial mixing, it handles very comparably to Caputo Pizzeria.
  • After bulk fermentation, it is a bit more sticky to the touch.
  • Balled dough does not hold the shape very well, but collapses into flat discs after a short while, even at low/moderate hydration.
  • Oven spring seems great, both for under- and overfermented doughs.
  • Taste and consistency is great!

A few photos below.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 01:18:47 AM by Arne_Jervell »

Offline tkmcmichael

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #696 on: April 07, 2020, 08:56:22 AM »
Great looking pizzas.

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #697 on: April 07, 2020, 09:40:39 AM »
Wonderful looking Pizza Arne! Such fantastic light as well On family and pizza, looks a low strong sun! I can see with the family waiting the pressure is on, they had to be pleased with supper tonight! A great start to a long successful season, take care and enjoy.

Offline Arne_Jervell

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #698 on: April 07, 2020, 03:48:48 PM »
Thank you both! Yes we had wonderful weather. A bit chilly perhaps (for those who don't operate the oven at least), but we could stay outside and have our first outdoor pizza session of the year, which was awesome.

Offline schold

« Reply #699 on: April 07, 2020, 05:03:11 PM »
Shorter time in balls has always given me better oven spring, but also more toughness in the cornicione. They look very nice. I like the way you cut the fior di latte.
Cooking is not a recipe, it's a philosophy - unless it's pastry, then it's chemistry.

- Marco Pierre White