A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: The Doughs of My Life  (Read 33869 times)

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: The Doughs of My Life
« Reply #680 on: March 10, 2020, 11:01:26 AM »
Arne, I think the cold is taking a toll on you.  It’s best you leave right away for a Holiday in a warmer climate! :-D
:-D yeah I wish...

Online Icelandr

• Supporting Member
  • 5 years and closer to. . a really Good Pizza!
« Reply #681 on: March 11, 2020, 12:34:50 AM »
Upgrade, always there is an upgrade. You may want to put aside your chosen winter attire, oh, sorry replace it, so you can upgrade your oven substitute . . .just until the Spring Thaw and after your welder style Therapy sessions.

https://www.cnet.com/news/grillgun-gas-torch-lights-up-your-grill-in-seconds/

PizzaParty 70x70, saputo floor

Offline Stein Erik

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #682 on: March 27, 2020, 04:32:14 AM »
I'm new here at this forum. Have been on different Facebook groups so far, but being here is at a completely different level.

My goal is to make a pizza as close as possible to a Da Michele pizza. And its hard. But I have read every single post in this thread and have learned a lot. Will try to make pizza based on the advice her next time, hopefully I can make it in my wood fired oven.

Thank you Arne for sharing your knowledge and results here.  :chef:

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #683 on: March 28, 2020, 07:06:26 AM »
I'm new here at this forum. Have been on different Facebook groups so far, but being here is at a completely different level.

My goal is to make a pizza as close as possible to a Da Michele pizza. And its hard. But I have read every single post in this thread and have learned a lot. Will try to make pizza based on the advice her next time, hopefully I can make it in my wood fired oven.

Thank you Arne for sharing your knowledge and results here.  :chef:
Welcome to the board, Stein Erik. Fun to see a fellow countryman. In fact there are actually a few of us here now. Hope you find as much inspiration, information and companionship here that I have.

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #684 on: March 29, 2020, 05:54:17 AM »
Spring time has officially arrived. Yes, there are sub-zero night temperatures and daytime temperatures are around 4 degrees C, but the weather is good and we are nearing April. So, I have unpacked the oven and warmed it up slowly over a week. Yesterday for lunch, finally, I made pizza in the WFO again.

My shipment of Caputo flour from my usual supplier seemed uncertain, but I found Petra 5063 "Special" at my go-to Italian store in Oslo and decided to give it a try. The specs look quite similar to Caputo Pizzeria, and searching the Internet for comments and reviews gave me the same impression. I decided to play it safe and opted for a dough of moderate hydration fermented at room temperature for less than 24 hours:

• 100% Flour (Petra 5063)
  • 65% Water
  • 2.9% Salt
  • 0.03% CY

Fermented at 22°C for 21 hours (14 in bulk, 7 in balls). The rain meter rose from around 15 mm to 31 mm, i.e. just about 2x rise, or a doubling in volume.

When making the dough, it did feel and handle a lot like Caputo Pizzeria.
After bulk, however, I though it presented as a bit weaker than a similar Pizzeria dough would under similar conditions. It also was more sticky than I am used to, but not too much.
I decided to ball them extra tight, just in case.

When it was time to cook them, I was surprised to see that the balls had collapsed to pancakes. I did not expect this to happen in just 7 hours for this dough, and like I said I also took care to build as much strength into the balls as I could. I'm including a photo of the pancakes below (flour was added for extraction purposes, almost forgot to snap a photo).

The resulting pizza was amazing, however. Really soft and light, and super tender. For some unknown reason, it seemed to lack a little salt. Not sure why this is, the salt percentage has been fixed for a long time now. We speculated that perhaps different flours accentuate salt differently. But nevermind, it tasted just heavenly.
After a winter of blowtorch pizza (which I still think tastes very good), it was a huge eye opener to taste "the real deal" again. Both the scent of it and the flavor of it, just so much more rich and complex than the comparatively "sterile" blowtorch pizza.

My Ischia culture seems to grow stronger every day, so next time I'm hoping I can use sourdough instead of CY (which in these days is also quite difficult to get a hold of as our yeast producers are struggling to meet demand).

A simple margherita with fiordilatte below. Few photos were taken in all the excitement.  :chef:
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 05:59:04 AM by Arne_Jervell »

Offline amolapizza

• If pizza is food for the gods, what are we..
« Reply #685 on: March 29, 2020, 07:32:43 AM »
Hey Arne!

Good to see you in action again!

I've heard very good things about Petra flour from my Italian friends, it seems a lot of people are happy with their products.  Your panetti do indeed look over fermented/collapsed, which is somewhat of a pain to make pizza from, but normally makes very tasty pizza.  Though it looks like much more than doubling...

Could it be that you mismeasured the salt?  It might explain why it seemed to have less strength, fermented faster and seemed to lack salt taste wise?  I did the same yesterday but with the water.  I thought this dough came together too fast and seems too dry, so I pulled it out of the mixer and weighted it.  It seems likely that I measured 420g water instead of 470g, adding another 50g of water made the dough come out like I expected it.  If it was the salt I doubt that I would have caught it..
Jack

Effeuno P134H (1700W upper element), EGO 500C Thermostat (upper), Biscotto Fornace Saputo, Sunmix Sun6, Caputo Pizzeria, Caputo Sacorosso, Mutti Pelati Bio.

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #686 on: March 29, 2020, 09:22:01 AM »
Jack, thanks for your comment. You make a good point, it is possible I made a mistake during salt measurement. It seems like an obvious explanation now that you pointed it out. :-D

I'll be sure to double check my measurements next time.

Offline Hanglow

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #687 on: March 29, 2020, 10:25:21 AM »
Looking good Arne, I will be firing up my WFO tomorrow for the first time in a few months too :chef: Local bread flour is all that is available, so I am getting my excuses in early  :-D

Offline Arne_Jervell

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #688 on: March 29, 2020, 10:42:29 AM »
Looking good Arne, I will be firing up my WFO tomorrow for the first time in a few months too :chef: Local bread flour is all that is available, so I am getting my excuses in early  :-D

Thanks and wishing you all the best with the first bake of the season.  :chef:

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Bella Pizze!
« Reply #689 on: March 29, 2020, 01:30:34 PM »
Welcome back Arne and Hanglow!  So good to see you guys back in action!!
Pizza Party 70x70 WFO/Saupto Floor

Offline Stein Erik

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #690 on: April 01, 2020, 04:06:30 AM »
Welcome to the board, Stein Erik. Fun to see a fellow countryman. In fact there are actually a few of us here now. Hope you find as much inspiration, information and companionship here that I have.

Thank you! I've found a lot of inspiration here already. I've had my WFO for years so I've made lots of pizzas. But my approach so far has been quite random. During the last months, I've read a lot about fermentation and hydration and I've tried with 50h fermentation and almost 70 % hydration. The results have been an airy, crispy and chewy pizza. Not what I'm looking for. So now I'm going to make a pizza this weekend with my Caputo Pizzeria flour and go for 24 hours and 63% hydration. My end goal is to be able to make quite consistent results as close as possible to the pizza I've eaten in Naples.

wordpress