A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Coney Island -L&B and Totonno's  (Read 871 times)

Offline MisterPKM

• I Love Pizza!
Coney Island -L&B and Totonno's
« on: June 11, 2018, 01:13:51 AM »
Planning a day trip to mid summer Coney Island and excited for L&B and Totonno's.

Unfamiliar with the area and establishments (save for what I've read). Is it feasible to hit both for a dinner time pizza double header,-Totonno's for a pie then L&B for a slice and Spumoni? Or does the waits/crowds make it more trouble than it's worth?

Would split them up, but gotta get to Nathan's for lunch.

Thanks for helping address my first world problems.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 01:18:21 AM by MisterPKM »

Offline crvgt

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Coney Island -L&B and Totonno's
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2018, 03:38:57 PM »
a lot depends on the day of the week, the time of day and the weather!   L&B has a parking lot, but at busy times its hard to get a spot in there.  Street parking can be found nearby, but it can be a bit challenging.   With Totonno's, there is street parking available, but again it can be rough - if its a nice beach day in the summer, it will be difficult given its relative proximity to the beach.   The best advice i can give is if driving, avoid Totonno's on a nice summer beach weekend day, unless you take the train over.  Or pick a lousy weather day!   Mid-week at L&B should not be much of an issue.   L&B does have a lot of outdoor table space, so even when busy its not that bad to find a place to sit.   I've eaten way too much over the years in both of these places having been born and raised on this stuff, and generally hate crowds, so i try to go between lunch and dinner time on a weeknight.  Not always possible i know.....

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 10:15:35 PM »
Yes. But Totonno's has some strange hours and days they are open. Just double check and plan ahead. I'd hit Totonno's first because L&B is always open. Plus - finish with that Spumoni

Planning a day trip to mid summer Coney Island and excited for L&B and Totonno's.

Unfamiliar with the area and establishments (save for what I've read). Is it feasible to hit both for a dinner time pizza double header,-Totonno's for a pie then L&B for a slice and Spumoni? Or does the waits/crowds make it more trouble than it's worth?

Would split them up, but gotta get to Nathan's for lunch.

Thanks for helping address my first world problems.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 11:48:04 PM »
I was at L&B recently and holy %$# was there a gum layer.... Like half the crust was gum and its a thick pizza.  I honestly will eat just about any pizza there is but I had to throw out my slice after a few bites.  Sauce was really great tho.... I turned into a corner of the parking lot and licked it off first  >:D

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2018, 12:47:32 PM »
I think you're mistaking a gum layer for a) cheese under the sauce and b) a thick pie cut hot - compressing a portion of the dough giving the appearance of a gum layer.

I've been to L&B probably over 50 times now and have never had an underdone pie. It's simply baked too long and too low (like a loaf of bread - which is basically what it is.)

I was at L&B recently and holy %$# was there a gum layer.... Like half the crust was gum and its a thick pizza.  I honestly will eat just about any pizza there is but I had to throw out my slice after a few bites.  Sauce was really great tho.... I turned into a corner of the parking lot and licked it off first  >:D

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2018, 01:27:06 PM »
The pizza I've had a Totonno's was meh at best.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 02:26:13 PM »
I'm not one to sing their praises but I'm surprised you feel this way. You were a big fan of the short fermentation NY style at around a 5 minute bake - that's basically what Totonno's does.

The pizza I've had a Totonno's was meh at best.

Offline MisterPKM

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 02:49:50 PM »
Thanks for the tips!

I also am not a fan of crowds, but only day possible for my visit is a Sunday. So, will try to tough it out!

Plan is for a Cyclone's game, sit down for a pie at Totonno's, then spumoni and a slice to wrap up at L&B.

Any other places overlooked in the area that are better bets??

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2018, 11:18:04 PM »
I actually just hit Totonno's and L&B in the same trip last week. Whenever I go to Totonno's, I tell myself I must be missing something everyone else is tasting. I give up - the pizza just doesn't do it for me anymore. Maybe it was nostalgia? But the pie there just doesn't blow me away.

I went to L&B after for Spumoni/Italian ice. We split a square. I was kicking myself for filling up on Totonno's. L&B is just that good.

Thanks for the tips!

I also am not a fan of crowds, but only day possible for my visit is a Sunday. So, will try to tough it out!

Plan is for a Cyclone's game, sit down for a pie at Totonno's, then spumoni and a slice to wrap up at L&B.

Any other places overlooked in the area that are better bets??

wordpress