A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Jerry's Bollore Pizza  (Read 424 times)

Offline halfprice

• Lifetime Member
Jerry's Bollore Pizza
« on: September 15, 2019, 12:03:19 PM »
Starting this thread to keep track of my process in my attempts to make a good neapolitan pizza.

My wife and couple of friends like thin crust with little to no cornice.  So all I do is flatten the dough and sauce to the edge.  Not going to make different styles of dough. Plus they always say they taste great. 

I always top the pizzas now because most people over top them. Again its eat what I make

Anyways tonight's cook will be my first where I followed Craig's procedure using my Ischia starter

100% caputo pizzeria blue
63% water
3% salt
1.5% starter

275 gram balls

38 hours @ 63*-65*
10 hours balled with last two at 78*
Only 10 because I didn't want to get up at 6am to ball them

Mixed per Craig's directions and into a cooler at 63*-65*
I'll need to buy a bigger cooler. I bought some dough mate trays and 1/4" poplar  boards for the bottom.  The trays wont fit my smaller cooler. Need to get the 120 guarts as CrIaig said

So I had some extra poplar pieces and cut them to fit a larger rubbermaid container. Used these after balling

So bulk went into a container. Maintaining 65* wasn't easy. I needed to keep the ice chest door open for several hours till it stabilized around 63"  it heald 63* for almost 24 hrs on the same bottle of ice

After 38 hours of bulk they were balled and put in the container with wood.  Dough seemed to be a little a head of  schedule so it's in the fridge with no lid. In an hour or two the lid will go on and into the cooler for the next 8 hours. Ill take them out with 2 hours remaining to get to rt

Hopefully they turn out well. Pics tonight of the finished pizza

Jerry
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 12:11:47 PM by halfprice »

Offline halfprice

• Lifetime Member
Re: Jerry's Bollore Pizza
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 01:37:59 AM »
Well I went 2 for 4 tonight. 2 very good 1 ok  and 1 fail on my launching

Started cooking late. In the middle of remodeling a room getting ready for my first granddaughter. Installed can lights couple electrical plugs and few other things. Ran way late.  Started the oven up at 730. By 8 I launched the first pie.  Not good but to the untrained eye it was

Second pie the front some how flipped and stuck to the deck then the middle ripped open. Cheese everywhere but mainly on my new turning peel which by the way is awesome

Last 2 came out great with limited lighting I pull them at the right time

Dough tasted real good even on the failed pie. Not a lot of oven spring but that's ok

Told the wife I'm making the pizzas how I want for now on with a nice rim and cornice.

The poplar wood was nice in how it dried the bottoms

All in all even with the rushed cook because of running late  everything worked out

Jerry

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 12:37:26 PM »
Lovely pizza jerry!
"Is that a pie fit for a king
A wondrous sweet
And most particular thing?" - sweeney todd

Offline halfprice

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 11:26:01 AM »
Couple more last night.  My son is visiting from Albuquerque for our birthdays. Yes he was born on my birthday 33 years ago

Well he decided he wanted pizza and gave me 1 day notice. So mixed a butch of dough and gave it 24 hrs. 48 hrs is better

I also went to a costco business center and they had 10lb boxes of pepperoni and sausage.  Pepperoni was ok, cut a little to thin, but the sausage was very good.

Some of my sons friends came over and I made 7 pizzas

Everyone was happy and they were impressed with the pizza.

Last pizza I over loaded the toppings to empty the containers. Well some how I ripped a hole in the bottom. I hate when I do that.  What a mess. But I ate what I could pull out of the oven

Every bake I Jack up at least one pizza

Side note. I cut down the handles of my peels. Way better. 

Jerry

Offline halfprice

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 11:26:32 AM »

Offline halfprice

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 10:45:32 PM »
Decided yesterday to do pizza today. So I did a 24hr rt with 10hrs balled using idy. My Ischia is in the fridge and no time to revive it.   First time doing it this way. Came out very good and no ripped bottoms/failures

A couple days ago I removed the saputo stones and clean the inside edges. The stones were not sitting  level. I believe this caused the failures.  The stones are almost level but way better than they were.

Anyways made 4 today and they were great

Jerry

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 01:48:29 PM »
How much IDY? I did 0.012% over 24h (18h bulk now balled) and the bulk had increased quite a bit and was very sticky when balling

Decided yesterday to do pizza today. So I did a 24hr rt with 10hrs balled using idy. My Ischia is in the fridge and no time to revive it.   First time doing it this way. Came out very good and no ripped bottoms/failures

A couple days ago I removed the saputo stones and clean the inside edges. The stones were not sitting  level. I believe this caused the failures.  The stones are almost level but way better than they were.

Anyways made 4 today and they were great

Jerry

Offline halfprice

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 02:03:15 PM »
How much IDY? I did 0.012% over 24h (18h bulk now balled) and the bulk had increased quite a bit and was very sticky when balling
About the same. I used .07 grams for 4-270 gram balls at 63% hydration.  It was such a small amount I didn't think it would work.  I have wood on the bottom of my box for balling.  Dries them out good

Jerry

wordpress