A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: little italy pizza, uws manhattan, broadway btw 91st and 92nd  (Read 425 times)

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
this has been my go-to for a late night slice near our apt on the UWS. Up to now, I've only had plain slices and it's been hit-or-miss, running from good to "so bad, might not come back". Last night decided to try a pepperoni slice for the first time and it was good, actually very good. TF is around .07, I don't think they're using great cheese so the thinly sliced pepperoni added just the right amount of flavor to the slice. Thinking maybe I was on to something, decided to try a fresh mozz slice and again, it was good, with nice interplay between the cheese, sauce, basil and garlic.

I'd always noticed the crust tasted a little strange, thin, nicely browned, crispy maybe too crispy (these are, after all, reheats). Decided to watch them open a pie and saw something flying off the dough, thought it might be cornmeal but interestingly, they open the dough with breadcrumbs instead of (or maybe in addition to) flour.

anyhow, not a destination slice (though a couple of magazines have named it "best of"), but a solid, late-night slice if ordered with toppings.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2018, 12:29:33 PM by quietdesperation »
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
Re: little italy pizza, uws manhattan, broadway btw 91st and 92nd
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2018, 11:34:29 AM »
we were back a couple of days ago. They have an all-day special, 2 slices and 20oz drink for $6, which is well-priced by NYC standards. Unfortunately, I confirmed with my son that we don't care for the plain slice and ended up with two pepperoni slices at $4/slice. Not really worth it for the quality of the pizza but it's the best pizza option near our apt > 11pm. And it's really pretty good, just not as good as some others in the area.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 11:38:58 AM by quietdesperation »
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline invertedisdead

• Rest In Pizza
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2018, 12:58:21 PM »
What don't you care for in the plain slice QD, the sauce, the cheese, or the dough?

I notice on my home baked pies if I put pepperoni on it tends to not matter if there's anything even in the sauce, whereas the plain pie is tricky to nail for sure.
the proof is in the pizza

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2018, 02:27:50 PM »
ryan, the sauce is a little sweet and the polly-o cheese a little overcooked and almost tastes slightly sour. the pepperoni just seems to bring everything into balance. their garlic-laden, fresh mozz slice also works really well.

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress