A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: When is it really Pepperoni  (Read 1289 times)

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: When is it really Pepperoni
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2018, 10:49:38 PM »
If I had a HEB up here with those prices I'd be there every day!!!😂

Come on. We'd love to have you.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2018, 02:46:35 PM »
Where are you getting that from? It's not even remotely that simple.
I stated above that the local pizzeria uses an Italian Salami not Pepperoni and it does not cup and it is cheaper.  As for Pepperoni that cups or doesn't cup I will have to check suppliers if they designate non cupping and cupping models   LOL

Offline wotavidone

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2018, 07:39:51 PM »
$37/lb?

How about some perspective:
I'm a bit stunned. I always thought the US was cheaper for many foods. I thought beef in Texas would be one of those.
But, $13 US per pound on today's exchange rate = $40 Aus /kg. :o
That is what we have to pay for serious restaurant quality beef down here (gotta admit those rib eyes do look very good quality).
In fact you can actually find some cuts of wagyu beef on special for that price.

Specialty foods currently have wagyu beef for $35 /kg. That would be about $12 US per pound.
http://www.specialtyfoods.com.au/specials.html
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 07:50:11 PM by wotavidone »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2018, 08:35:22 PM »
I'm a bit stunned. I always thought the US was cheaper for many foods. I thought beef in Texas would be one of those.
But, $13 US per pound on today's exchange rate = $40 Aus /kg. :o
That is what we have to pay for serious restaurant quality beef down here (gotta admit those rib eyes do look very good quality).
In fact you can actually find some cuts of wagyu beef on special for that price.

Specialty foods currently have wagyu beef for $35 /kg. That would be about $12 US per pound.
http://www.specialtyfoods.com.au/specials.html

You're not going to find a lot of prime ribeye in the US for less than $13/lb. YOu could serve those steaks in any top steakhouse. On sale here, it will get down to $8-$10/lb. Wagyu ribeyes around here runs in the $20-30/lb range typically. I've never seen it anywhere near $12. Compared to the pictures at the link you provided, the beef in my picture has far more marbling. That in the picture looks like select grade which runs about 1/3 the price of prime. I paid $4.49/lb for decent-looking select ribeyes this week which would be less than $14 AUD/kg.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 08:39:31 PM by TXCraig1 »
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline wotavidone

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2018, 10:24:53 PM »
You're not going to find a lot of prime ribeye in the US for less than $13/lb. YOu could serve those steaks in any top steakhouse. On sale here, it will get down to $8-$10/lb. Wagyu ribeyes around here runs in the $20-30/lb range typically. I've never seen it anywhere near $12. Compared to the pictures at the link you provided, the beef in my picture has far more marbling. That in the picture looks like select grade which runs about 1/3 the price of prime. I paid $4.49/lb for decent-looking select ribeyes this week which would be less than $14 AUD/kg.
The rib eyes at specialty foods are definitely not the same grade as the picture you posted. They aren't wagyu though, just ordinary grade beef at $6.50 US per pound. Half the price and I agree they only look half as good.

I actually posted the link to show the wagyu porterhouse at less than $12 per lb. Guarantee they would melt in the mouth. You'd only have to chew so you could hold them a bit longer in your mouth to savour the flavour.

Of course we could go on comparing for days and it wouldn't mean much.
It all depends who's got stuck with an over-supply of what and needs to discount it to quit it.
And we have a little thing over here called a "loss leader" where they'll throw a small amount something out at cost just to get people in the door to buy something else that runs higher margin.
I was just a bit surprised at some of the relative costs.

Certainly $37/lb pepperoni musta been prepared on gold plated equipment by vestal virgins who picked the chilies at the full moon, killed the beef by ritual sacrifice and dedicated the smoking fires to the Goddess.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 10:28:15 PM by wotavidone »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2018, 09:29:54 AM »
Certainly $37/lb pepperoni musta been prepared on gold plated equipment by vestal virgins who picked the chilies at the full moon, killed the beef by ritual sacrifice and dedicated the smoking fires to the Goddess.
wotavidone,

That is some very creative writing. I like it :-D.

Peter

Offline Andrew t

• I am picurious
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2018, 12:06:24 AM »
For me pepperoni MUST contain beef and may or may not contain pork. It is one of the few dry cured salumi in the Italian genre that contain beef (although not generally found in Italy). Len Poli @ Sooma Mountain Sausage has some good formulas for anyone who'd like to make-your-oni.

I've never had $37/lb pepperoni, but I have paid simular amounts for pleanty of other cured meats or cheeses in a retail store.

Craig I think asserting the crafts-folk who produce it are greedy is contempt prior to investigation. Price and value are not the same thing.

Samll scale artisans are expensive.  They don't have the effcientcies of scale. To compare an artisan cured meat to commercial beef (even prime) misses the point of artisan craft.

It  sounds  like the folks whining about UPN-$25 pizza when they can get $1 slices or 2 pizzas for $10 at Little Caesars.

I've seen no evidence it's greed. I'd wager they aren't Scroodge McDuck counting their gold in the basement.

Offline gamblersruin

• London, UK!
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2018, 04:38:11 AM »
For me pepperoni MUST contain beef and may or may not contain pork. It is one of the few dry cured salumi in the Italian genre that contain beef (although not generally found in Italy).

That's the biggest issue I'm having in the UK is that non commercial 'pepperoni' usually ends up with a paprika spiced dry pork product. Which is tasty but just isn't the same.

Might see if I can convince my local butcher to do me a single slice of everything he has on display and experiment.

Offline QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2018, 10:54:50 PM »
For me pepperoni MUST contain beef and may or may not contain pork. It is one of the few dry cured salumi in the Italian genre that contain beef (although not generally found in Italy). Len Poli @ Sooma Mountain Sausage has some good formulas for anyone who'd like to make-your-oni.

I've never had $37/lb pepperoni, but I have paid simular amounts for pleanty of other cured meats or cheeses in a retail store.

Craig I think asserting the crafts-folk who produce it are greedy is contempt prior to investigation. Price and value are not the same thing.

Samll scale artisans are expensive.  They don't have the effcientcies of scale. To compare an artisan cured meat to commercial beef (even prime) misses the point of artisan craft.

It  sounds  like the folks whining about UPN-$25 pizza when they can get $1 slices or 2 pizzas for $10 at Little Caesars.

I've seen no evidence it's greed. I'd wager they aren't Scroodge McDuck counting their gold in the basement.

Naww.... as a kid that grew up in an Italian household, beef has NO place on a pizza. Pork only. And I'm sticking to it! :D

Offline tracy

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2018, 07:20:03 AM »
http://www.margheritameats.com/products/15

This is the best mass-market available pepperoni that I've found in my area, which isn't saying a whole lot.  Certainly better than any of the Hormel products or supermarket brands.  Each stick is still around $5.99/$4.99 (on sale) each, so certainly not "cheap."  It tastes decent for what it is, you can cut it fairly easily to a desired thickness, and it cups when baked.  It exudes a lot of grease though, so I've taken to microwaving the cut pepperoni on some paper towel for 30 seconds before topping the pizzas.  Haven't seen any loss in quality from doing so, it still cups well, and seems to taste the same, just less grease.  There's a larger log from the same company behind the deli counter at my local Safeway, but they weren't able to cut it thick enough for my purposes.  That product is clearly meant for sandwiches rather than pizza.  There's also precut bags of the pepperoni, but I've not tried them.  Easy enough to cut my own slices, and that article from Serious Eats implies that the slices cut from sticks cup better than the precut, prepackaged.

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2018, 08:52:20 AM »
http://www.margheritameats.com/products/15

This is the best mass-market available pepperoni that I've found in my area, which isn't saying a whole lot.  Certainly better than any of the Hormel products or supermarket brands.  Each stick is still around $5.99/$4.99 (on sale) each, so certainly not "cheap."  It tastes decent for what it is, you can cut it fairly easily to a desired thickness, and it cups when baked.  It exudes a lot of grease though, so I've taken to microwaving the cut pepperoni on some paper towel for 30 seconds before topping the pizzas.  Haven't seen any loss in quality from doing so, it still cups well, and seems to taste the same, just less grease.  There's a larger log from the same company behind the deli counter at my local Safeway, but they weren't able to cut it thick enough for my purposes.  That product is clearly meant for sandwiches rather than pizza.  There's also precut bags of the pepperoni, but I've not tried them.  Easy enough to cut my own slices, and that article from Serious Eats implies that the slices cut from sticks cup better than the precut, prepackaged.

Maybe give Boars Head a try too. Not sure about where you are but it's available everywhere here in MI. https://slice.seriouseats.com/2013/01/taste-test-pepperoni-sticks.html
Hans

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2018, 10:11:45 AM »
Naww.... as a kid that grew up in an Italian household, beef has NO place on a pizza. Pork only. And I'm sticking to it! :D

I don't know, burger ain't bad sometimes and corned beef and kraut rocks! And a buffalo chicken pizza done right is REALLY good too!!!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline QwertyJuan

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2018, 05:56:22 PM »
I don't know, burger ain't bad sometimes and corned beef and kraut rocks! And a buffalo chicken pizza done right is REALLY good too!!!

Yeah... I mix it up at times. We have 5-6 chicken pizzas on our menu here at work... we even offer ground beef as a topping, but it hurts me every time someone orders it LOL.

I can promise you, my dad(who was born and raised in Calabria) would be SO mad at me for some of the things we do to make customers happy! :D

Online jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2018, 10:33:58 PM »
I've only posted about this place a couple times here, but hands down, THE BEST dry aged pepperoni I've ever had! As described on the website, it is shelf stable, requires no refrigeration, a truly dry aged product! It has an aged, funky, spice, and PLEASE NEVER peel off that white, moldy coating, it's heavenly!!! It's not cheap, but it's also not something you find just anyplace. Might be time for a road trip to Duluth and a North Shore drive! It's a couple hundred miles each way, but a beautiful drive at that! Go up and drop a few hundred in their store. If I was locked inside that place overnite they would find me dead in the morning!!! They have mail order!

https://northernwaterssmokehaus.com/mail-order/salumi/pepperoni/

I wouldn't waste that on a pizza.   My brother bought something similar.   They sliced it all up and put it on the table with the other appetizers.  While the adults were busy conversing, my son ate ALL of it.   :-[

Does it smell like dog feet?   https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=35523.msg353522#msg353522
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 10:39:52 PM by jkb »
John

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2018, 11:01:15 PM »

I wouldn't waste that on a pizza.   My brother bought something similar.   They sliced it all up and put it on the table with the other appetizers.  While the adults were busy conversing, my son ate ALL of it.   :-[

Does it smell like dog feet?   https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=35523.msg353522#msg353522

Yes! Most high end charcuterie with that white, moldy, yummy coat on the outside has that funky, cheesy, foot thing going! DELIGHTFUL!  :drool: :-D
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Peetie

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2018, 01:21:59 PM »
I like pepperoni, but that pre-sliced stuff from the supermarket just doesn't cut it, no pun intended. I found a Spicy Salame Calabrese at BJ's that is really good. Comes in two 1/2 lb. sticks. It was about $9.00. No MSG. No nitrates or nitrites. It's ingredients are pork, salt, sugar, and spices.

Offline TMB

• My mission: Low Carb Pizza that taste great!
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2018, 02:10:53 PM »
Anyone make their own pepperoni?     ???
Live, Ride and Always thank God!
6 Big Easy's
1 Rec-Tec grill/smoker
1 Home Built pellet grill
Working on a pellet pizza oven
Grill2Go grill
Lots more but not enough room ;)

Offline Dwain

• Bon Appétit!
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2018, 05:08:21 PM »
Anyone make their own pepperoni?     ???

I made some once but I didn’t like the taste. I need to try again.
~ May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead. ~  Big Deck BBQ and Brew

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2018, 05:23:39 PM »
I think maybe Bill has....
Jon

Offline TMB

• My mission: Low Carb Pizza that taste great!
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2018, 08:12:12 AM »
Agood friend of mine had a recipe from the Amish in PA (Lancaster area) and it was outstanding!  Now the problem is he moved twice since he made it and can't find the recipe >:D I think he is hiding it  ;D ;D

but if anyone knows of the recipe I'd love to have it   :chef:
Live, Ride and Always thank God!
6 Big Easy's
1 Rec-Tec grill/smoker
1 Home Built pellet grill
Working on a pellet pizza oven
Grill2Go grill
Lots more but not enough room ;)

wordpress