A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: When is it really Pepperoni  (Read 2799 times)

Offline Hermit

• I make do with what I have
Re: When is it really Pepperoni
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2018, 01:21:16 PM »
I like pepperoni, but that pre-sliced stuff from the supermarket just doesn't cut it, no pun intended. I found a Spicy Salame Calabrese at BJ's that is really good. Comes in two 1/2 lb. sticks. It was about $9.00. No MSG. No nitrates or nitrites. It's ingredients are pork, salt, sugar, and spices.

If you can find the boars head sliced pepperoni, it has a lot more flavor and good performance on pizza.  Just a bit more than the hormel slices but about 2x as flavorful.  The boars head stick pepperoni is good too but their sliced is larger diameter and already the right thickness.

Offline Mako13

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2018, 11:34:50 PM »
I tried the BH pepperoni once, and didn't find it to be much different from the Gallo, and Margherita brands.

I didn't try it side by side though, so perhaps need to do that, right out of the package.

I'm looking for a good, restaurant-grade, spicy pepperoni, and have yet to find one.

The Round Table Pizza chain here has a good one.  Tastes quite a bit like a spiced bacon to me, so I suspect it has a lot of pork in it, as well as a decent amount of red pepper powder in it.

Offline rascali

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2019, 02:28:32 PM »
I had the chance to try the Delallo pepperoni last night, half and half with my normal Boar's Head.

It is a straight stick with a slight pinch and trim at either end, not the curved natural half pair as the BH seems to be. The casing lies extremely tight with a pebbley surface that traces the grind diameter, and looks like the result of some kind of vacuum filling?

The Delallo is harder to slice than the BH, and the slices reveal a smaller grind and a brighter red appearance than the latter and also lacks the occasional peppercorn that the BH includes.

Pulled from the oven there are stark differences in the two halves. The Delallo shrank substantially, about a third more shrinkage than the Boar's Head. This, of course, set up some extreme cupping and crisping of the edges. Unfortunately this all came at the expense of an extremely greasy pizza from all the rendered fat...

Flavor-wise the recipe is aimed not to displease, with a low salt, low spiciness quotient that belies the extra helping of paprika that so attractively dies the product. Other than the jerky-like chew it is hardly a step up from a sausage pie. All in all I would rate this as an "engineered" foodstuff with little "soul" and not much to recommend as more than a fallback, when choices are slim.

Offline Dwain

• Bon Appétit!
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2019, 09:39:23 PM »
When in Italy we asked for a pepperoni pizza. They had no idea that we were talking about sliced sausage. They brought peppers. It was delicious.
~ May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead. ~  Big Deck BBQ and Brew

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2019, 11:29:58 PM »
When it is Margarita brand... Nuff said. :pizza:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Minolta Rokkor

• We stand on the shoulders of giants.
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2019, 06:48:40 AM »
 Margarita pepperoni is top tier stuff,  love it.
Pizza is about balance, nothing more nothing less

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2019, 11:50:41 AM »
..... always available at your friendly Walmart grocers. 🌝

Offline Minolta Rokkor

« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2019, 05:30:35 PM »
Both of my walmarts stopped carrying it, luckily farm fresh has it.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2019, 07:06:46 PM »
Both of my walmarts stopped carrying it, luckily farm fresh has it.
you live in a most evil part of the country pizza pal!  >:D

Offline OHpizzaguy

• Quest for the perfect pizza!
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2019, 02:22:19 PM »
I was always a Margarita pepperoni guy, my local family grocer even has the pizza sized pre-sliced which is very convenient & reasonably priced also.  Recently I found out about Ezzo brand & we’re hooked!  Their pepperoni cups & they claim it’s the collagen casing that makes it so! They’re based out of Columbus, OH. So far they are only distributing to restaurant suppliers, so not easy to find, but there are some online that sell their products. We made a day trip to Pittsburgh & bought directly from PennMac (who does sell online but at higher cost).
http://ezzo.com/products.html?devicelock=desktop
http://www.pennmac.com/items/9845//Pizza-Pepperoni-Pre-Sliced-Ezzo-38mm-Gi-Antonio
Pizza brings people together!

Offline OHpizzaguy

« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2019, 02:38:08 PM »
I tried the BH pepperoni once, and didn't find it to be much different from the Gallo, and Margherita brands.

I didn't try it side by side though, so perhaps need to do that, right out of the package.

I'm looking for a good, restaurant-grade, spicy pepperoni, and have yet to find one.

The Round Table Pizza chain here has a good one.  Tastes quite a bit like a spiced bacon to me, so I suspect it has a lot of pork in it, as well as a decent amount of red pepper powder in it.
Check out the Ezzo brand that I shared, available online via PennMac.com they have a spicier version you’d probably like!

Offline tracy

« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2019, 09:13:44 AM »
A couple of months ago I switched from the Margherita logs to Vermont Smoke and Cure.  The Vermont Smoke and Cure is a little cheaper on Amazon and it's available in the Subscribe and Save program, so it ends up being even cheaper.  I like it just as much as the Margherita that I was using previously.  Still has a lot of grease though.  I've since switched to placing the cut slices on paper towel and microwaving for four minutes at 30% power.  That paper towel is a sight to behold afterwards.  I realize pepperoni isn't the healthiest thing to eat, but almost the entire towel is orange from the grease.

Offline halfprice

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2019, 11:24:01 AM »
Would love to try Enzos but $43 for 5 lbs plus $22 shipping is a little steep

And penmach suggests Express shipping to ca at $60.  So over $100 for 5 lbs

Guess on my next motorhome trip back east I'll be stopping at enzos or pennmac

Jerry

Offline Minolta Rokkor

« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2019, 08:00:56 AM »
So is Ezzo pepperoni cream of the crop?

Offline OHpizzaguy

« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2019, 08:44:21 AM »
So is Ezzo pepperoni cream of the crop?
It’s really good! Zesty tasting & cups up nicely.  I got lucky & found that PennMac was a day trip away & stocked up (2 - 5 lb bags which I separated & froze) which were cheaper at the store than online & since we made a day of it, it didn’t feel like it cost us anything extra (except a little over 1/2 a tank)

wordpress