A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: A Couple of Places in Honolulu, Hi  (Read 305 times)

Offline sodface

• I Love Pizza!
A Couple of Places in Honolulu, Hi
« on: June 23, 2018, 10:42:10 PM »
Just got back from a couple of weeks in Hawaii, stayed in Waikiki.  The first pizza place we tried was called Brick Fire Tavern.  Lots of good Yelp reviews, nice inside, nice oven.  I thought everything else sucked.  The service, the prices, and ultimately, the pizza.  The guy I went with wasn't impressed either.  I told him about a comment jkb made in response to my negative comment in Hans' UPN thread where he said:

What?  You don't like soup served in a bread bowl?

He and I both agreed that described this pizza perfectly.
Carl

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
Re: A Couple of Places in Honolulu, Hi
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2018, 10:52:33 PM »
Did you happen to try Marukame Udon while you were there?
Hans

Offline sodface

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2018, 10:57:17 PM »
Flour and Barley.

The second place we went to three times  :-\ two nights in a row and then a third time.  It wasn't really worth three visits but that's just how it happened as not everyone went all three times (except me and the guy from post 1).

The first time we went was by far the best as is often the case.  I only took pics on visits 1 and 3 apparently.  Night 1 was definitely well done (first pic) and really tasted great, my pizza companion agreed.  Night 2 was way underdone and pale and soupy.  Night 3 (second pic) was somewhere in between.  Good but not as good as night 1.  Besides just being undercooked on night 2, I was really chewing away on what I thought was a pepper skin only to discover it was a piece of plastic, like the cut off corner of an ingredient bag or something.  I told the bartender about it (not in a mad way) and the manager came out and apologized and took the pizza off my bill and also took 15% off the rest.  Stuff happens and I think they responded appropriately.  It obviously didn't stop me from going back for a third time  :-D
Carl

Offline sodface

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2018, 11:13:58 PM »
Did you happen to try Marukame Udon while you were there?

No. Is that the place with the permanent line out the door??  A couple of other guys I was there with are big noodle guys (and not pizza so much) and I think they went there on one of the nights we got pizza.  A couple of stand out non-pizza places were:

Ahi Assassins
Siam Square
The Alley Restaurant at Aiea Bowl
Honolulu Beer Works.

The Alley was on Diners Drive-ins and Dives I believe (or Guy just ate there, not sure).  Here's a pic of the mixed lunch plate with fried chicken and boneless Kalbi.  I thought it was good!  And the beer menu from Honolulu beer works.  I loved the soft pretzels with their spicy whole grain beer mustard.  And the beer.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 11:16:10 PM by sodface »
Carl

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 07:30:41 AM »
No. Is that the place with the permanent line out the door??  A couple of other guys I was there with are big noodle guys (and not pizza so much) and I think they went there on one of the nights we got pizza.

Yes, always a line, always excellent.
Hans

A D V E R T I S E M E N T