A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: can you transition from refractory to insulating cement?  (Read 348 times)

Offline peteH

• I Love Pizza!
can you transition from refractory to insulating cement?
« on: June 27, 2018, 07:02:16 PM »
So I have a form for the front part of an oven I am making.  I want to know if I can use 6:1:1:1castable homebrew refractory for the section near the oven part and then transition using insulating cement using 6:1 perlcrete for the part away from the oven?  I would mix in 2 seperate batches but pour each section right after another in hopes the 2 wet mixes bond together.  This would also hopefully prevent heat from conducting out to the front of the door.  Let me know if I can pour the traditional castable cement on the right side of the pic and then the insulating cement towards the left side of the pic ( front of the door) and have the two types stick together, thanks.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 08:51:42 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
  • If my pizza is wrong, I don't want to be right!
Re: can you transition from refractory to insulating cement?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 01:01:58 AM »
Perlcrete is too friable to use in any exposed area - hit it with a peel (or rub against it with the door) and pieces will come off...

For my thermal break I back-cut the bricks on the entry to leave a vee-shaped air gap, very narrow at the surface and wider behind, which I stuffed with ceramic fiber.
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

A D V E R T I S E M E N T