A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Seattle/Portland Pizza Recomendations  (Read 805 times)

Offline JayBC

• I Love Pizza!
Seattle/Portland Pizza Recomendations
« on: June 29, 2018, 01:06:03 AM »
Will be spending a night in Seattle and a few in Portland in July. Looking for some recommendations of the can't miss pizza place in each town(NP,NEO,NY). I have negotiated pizza once in each place ;D

For Portland I'm looking at either Apizza Scholls or Lovely Fifty-Fifty, and leaning towards Apizza Scholls. I'll try and hit Ken's Bakery for a snack or lunch(but not pizza).

For Seattle:
Independent Pizzeria
Serious Pie
Veraci Pizza
??

If you had to choose one in each city what would you choose?

Offline ebpizza

Re: Seattle/Portland Pizza Recomendations
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 05:45:32 AM »
Portland:

Checkerboard in the Pine Street Market. There are also other great food options in the that food hall.
http://www.pinestreetpdx.com
https://www.checkerboardpdx.com

The Crown - SW Browadway downtown, this could be one of my favorite places. Better than most NYC slice joints I’ve been to.
https://www.thecrownpdx.com/
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 06:40:44 AM by ebpizza »

Online jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 06:11:12 AM »
If I had one night in Seattle, I wouldn't waste it on pizza.
John

Online HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 06:55:01 AM »
Apizza Scholls & Serious Pie.
Hans

Offline JayBC

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 09:19:20 PM »
If I had one night in Seattle, I wouldn't waste it on pizza.
This isn't our first visit. And we are on Vancouver Island, so we will be there again. But I'm curious, what would you recommend outside of pizza?

And thanks for the additional recommendations everyone!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 09:20:54 PM by JayBC »

Online HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 10:25:33 PM »
Aside from pizza I really like Athenian in Pike Place Mkt for Dungeness Crab Eggs Benedict!
Hans

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 10:40:10 PM »
Hans knows his pizza...you won't go wrong following his lead :) . I haven't eaten pizza in Seattle but give two thumbs up to Scholl's in Portland   ...it's even better than I expected...and I expected a lot

Offline JayBC

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 05:22:05 PM »
Back from the trip thanks for the suggestions!

For Seattle we went to Delancey as it was 4 blocks from where we were staying and we were tired from our day of biking. Good Pizza, and nice service/atmosphere.  The toppings and sauce were great, but we didn't love the crust.

We were in Portland longer so we fit in both Apizza Scholls and Lovely Fifty-Fifty. Such different pizzas, but both excellent.  I would love to figure out the Lovely 50-50 dough, they said it was 60% AP flour, I'm not sure what the other 40% was, but it seemed to have either whole wheat of some high extraction flour.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 06:06:44 PM »
Which pies did you get in those places? Any photos?

Offline JayBC

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2018, 12:40:14 AM »
Delancey we had the Brooklyn (Tomato sauce, fresh and aged mozzarella, Grana) and the Crimini (Crimini mushroom, fresh mozzarella, thyme, olive oil)

Apizza Scholls we had one pizza:

half Diablo Blanco(Plain Pie without the sauce, ricotta, semi-dried tomato pesto [Pomodoraccio semi-dried tomatoes, toasted pumpkin seeds, parmigiano-reggiano, salt, pepper & garlic], herbs, black pepper, & fresh Jalapeño) 

half  Tartufo2 The Electric Boogaloo (Mozzarella (whole milk & fresh), Ricotta, mushrooms, grana padano, with Truffle Oil and sea salt.)

With the large size of the pizza at Scholls, the half and half is a good option for two (we still had leftovers).

At Lovely Fifty-fifty we had just one pizza sungold tomato confit with shaved summer squash, reggiano and orange agrumato.  The appetizer of oven roaster broccoli was great too

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2018, 01:31:11 AM »
Nice...you weren't messing around there! What fine sounding choices!...had to Google the agrumato part... :)

The shaved squash..is that a way of saying mandolined? How did the texture hold up?

Sounds like Lovely's dough composition  may not be too different from Dan's at Razza in Jersey City, though maybe not as light as Dan's? .. The pies on Yelp look amazing..probably a closer depiction than on their website. Wish I could try it myself. :)

Thanks for the details!

Offline JayBC

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2018, 05:56:56 PM »
We had to ask what argumato was too ???

The shaved squash was VERY thin, mandolin or a peeler, down the length to make ribbons. It had good texture. It was much better than my attempt to use squash, I used the mandolin, but perhaps I went a bit too thick.

Just read your Razza thread, it does sound similar. I definitely thought they were using a mix of AP and either whole wheat or high extraction flour. Would love to try my hand at a similar dough.

Offline byamit

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2018, 10:35:59 PM »
Rocco's in downtown Seattle is good. Definitely hit up Independent. Unfortunately Seattle isnt abound with a bunch of great pizza.

Offline bbqchuck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2019, 09:20:11 AM »
Old thread...just adding a place in case anyone is heading to Seattle. 

For Neo, Pulcinella, 10003 Rainier Ave S, Seattle, WA 98178, on the SW tip of Lake Washington.  I thought it was good.  Worth the stop if you're in the area.