A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Whops! He did it again!  (Read 4981 times)

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: Whops! He did it again!
« Reply #160 on: October 09, 2018, 09:09:26 AM »
Things may be looking up for Papa John's as a hedge fund may be interested in the company:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/08/nelson-peltzs-trian-fund-considers-bid-for-papa-johns-dj-citing-sources.html

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #161 on: October 14, 2018, 07:19:40 PM »
The speculation is that a takeover of Papa John's may be difficult:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/2-reasons-won-apos-t-160500693.html

Peter

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #162 on: October 30, 2018, 08:02:17 PM »

Offline caymus

« Reply #163 on: October 31, 2018, 05:03:59 AM »
up 41% from the panic selling.  It is hard to pull the buy trigger on "falling Knives".

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #164 on: November 06, 2018, 08:46:08 PM »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #165 on: November 06, 2018, 11:35:00 PM »
PJs recent year could be a Harvard Business School case study on what happens when a company does everything wrong from a political standpoint.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #166 on: November 06, 2018, 11:38:47 PM »
I think we're pretty much at a point where a company is going to have to be (1) absolutely and unwaveringly apolitical, or (2) take a side and apologetically stick with it.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #167 on: November 06, 2018, 11:48:02 PM »
PJs recent year could be a Harvard Business School case study on what happens when a company does everything wrong from a political standpoint.

Craig,

I agree. Unfortunately, the PJ/Schnatter dilemma is likely to cause other business people to make business decisions based on politics and fear.

Peter

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #168 on: November 08, 2018, 06:02:38 PM »
 This is a pretty rough piece about John. Looks like it gonna cost a lot to get out from under the shadow of John.
https://deadspin.com/papa-is-tearing-papa-johns-apart-1830319497

Offline parallei

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #169 on: November 08, 2018, 07:58:38 PM »
Craig,

.......the PJ/Schnatter dilemma is likely to cause other business people to make business decisions based on politics and fear.

Peter

If political discussions were not forbidden on the forum, at least for the masses, I'd ask what you meant by "decisions based on politics and fear".  But alas, it is forbidden.

So, with apologies to Franklin D. Roosevelt:

- So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is...PJ's pizza itself...a  tasteless, unseasoned, unjustified terror which paralyzes the taste buds......

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #170 on: November 09, 2018, 09:02:12 PM »
Typical article on the continuing saga. The best part was the first commenters take on the situation.

https://thetakeout.com/papa-john-s-franchisees-hiring-lawyer-1830341126

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #171 on: November 27, 2018, 06:55:52 PM »

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #172 on: November 27, 2018, 08:19:56 PM »
  That's not good news for a lot people.  Hope things can turn around for them. I have seen a couple of stories about John still stirring the pot, but did not post them. I have noticed that Pizza Hut and Domino's have been inundating the airwaves....Guess I am old...should be cable channels. Not so much Papa John's.  If you are not out front and center, your brand slowly fades away in the public eye.  Maybe a great marketing firm could turn things around. They need to change things up and in a huge way to survive. 

Offline andytiedye

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #173 on: November 27, 2018, 09:31:58 PM »
Their brand is toxic.

Offline StateofMind

« Reply #174 on: November 28, 2018, 12:02:29 AM »
Their pizza is trash. Who cares? Support your local pizzeria.

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #175 on: November 28, 2018, 12:33:31 AM »
Their pizza is trash. Who cares? Support your local pizzeria.

Word!

Why anyone still want to eat at chain pizzas, when there are so many independent place popping up, is beyond me.
Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #176 on: November 28, 2018, 09:05:13 AM »
 I agree with the above statements. My concern is for the people that invested their life savings to buy a franchise and the people they employe. They are the big losers in this if the chain tanks. I have tried the big three in the last few months and they are pretty disgusting. They do serve a purpose just like Little Caesars. With the specials and coupons they offer, a lot of the time you can get a pie for half the price as compared to the local mom and pop. That is attractive to people on a limited income.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #177 on: November 28, 2018, 09:46:10 AM »
Word!

Why anyone still want to eat at chain pizzas, when there are so many independent place popping up, is beyond me.

Mike,

I think the popularity of the big chains is mainly price. They also tend to have specials pretty much all the time, including BOGOs and their regular pizzas at lower than their normal pricing. They can do these things because of their purchasing power. They also offer products that contain what Tom Lehmann jokingly calls the three food groups that most appeal to people--salt, fat and sugar. And, having looked the ingredients statements and nutrition information of the big chains like Domino's, Pizza Hut, Papa John's, Little Caesar and Mellow Mushroom (MM uses molasses rather than sugar), I can say that they are much higher in those three departments than what independents offer. The big chains have also become much more dependent on technology, especially in the ordering and delivery sides of the business. In fact, more than once Domino's has been described as a technology company that just happens to sell pizzas. Papa John's fell back on the technology side and is now in the process of trying to catch up again. But technology is going to be a continuing game changer, including the adoption of robotics (such as Zume is now testing), autonomous delivery vehicles, and AI and the like.

If you look at the comments about Papa John's at https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/PZZA/community?p=PZZA, you will see a litany of sins that PJ's and John Schnatter have allegedly committed, not to mention the attacks on the quality and pricing of the PJ pizzas.

As you also know, there are now a fairly large and fast growing fast casual pizza chains that are moving somewhere in the space between the big pizza chains and the independents, with many options and fairly decent pricing. And they are catering to Millennials and Gen Z's and the like, as is discussed, for example, in the articles at:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/garystern/2018/10/22/a-threat-to-the-big-pizza-chains-can-blaze-pizza-keep-expanding/#654be39452b9, and

https://www.buxtonco.com/blog/5-reasons-why-millennials-love-fast-casual-pizza

When I decided to try to reverse engineer and clone the Papa John's basic dough and pizza sauce, I chose them because I could buy their pizzas and compare them with my own clones. I also had their ingredients statements and nutrition information. It was a great and fun learning experience for me personally. The two threads on the subject apparently have resonated with fans of PJ pizzas since there have been 628,215 page views to date. And over the years, I have received many PMs from members outside of the US asking for help to enable them to make and sell PJ style pizzas in their countries. In fact, last October, a member offered me an all expenses paid trip to Uzbekistan to help him make a PJ or Domino's clone. I politely told him that I am just a home pizza maker, nothing more.

On the investment side, I can assure you that the big investors who are buying or trading the PJ stock are not doing so because of their fondness for the PJ pizzas. They are looking for the big hit that comes strictly from the business side. It has been that side of the drama that appeals to me since it is rare to see a company get into so much trouble as PJ has over the past year of so. Also, I have been following PJ for many years.

Peter 

wordpress