A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Passione! The adventure begins...  (Read 2921 times)

Offline samyron

• I Love Pizza!
Passione! The adventure begins...
« on: July 22, 2018, 09:19:20 PM »
After debating about a pizza oven for years, I finally pulled the trigger on the Pizza Party Passione. I almost purchased the Uuni 3, until I saw the Uuni Pro. Then I saw the Pizza Party 70x70's mentioned on this forum. That changed everything. That oven looked amazing. Looking at the pizza party website I saw the gas fired oven and after reading the many reviews here, I had to have it.

I set it up yesterday, but unfortunately I didn't have time to cook anything. Today I had the opportunity.

I cured it for 2 hours running mostly on a low flame. It held the temperature very well. I turned it off because I had some time between when I was finished and dinner.

It held the heat pretty well, so when I turned it back on I didn't have to wait long before it was ready to go. Knowing this was my first outing, I was shooting for 2 minute pizzas. My deck temperature for the first pizza was somewhere between 700-800℉ (I have the traditional floor).

My dough was 62% hydration. I used King Arthur All purpose Flour. The recipe:

500g KAAP
310g Water
10g Salt
1/2 tsp IDY (I use SAF Instant Yeast)

Mix to form rough dough. Let sit for 20 minutes. Knead until a smooth ball is formed. Bulk fermentation for 2 hours. Divide to dough balls (I made 3), refrigerate for 24 hours (or longer).

My dough ended up in the refrigerator for about 72 hours. 48 hours probably would have been better. I had planned on having the oven set up a day before, but life gets in the way.

My last pizza came from a dough I made this morning using a sourdough starter. The recipe:

450g KAAP
100g 100% hydration sourdough
210g water
10g Salt

Mix. Rest 20 minutes. Knead until a smooth ball is formed. Bulk fermentation for 4 hours. Divide into balls (again, I made 3). I left one on the counter for about 3 hours and refrigerated the other two.

My first pizza was a bit sad. The cheese wasn't cut small or thin enough so I didn't get the coverage I wanted. The second and third pizzas came out much better.

Offline samyron

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Passione! The adventure begins...
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 09:29:16 PM »
A few other things I learned.

1. The thermometer on the side of the oven isn't a great indication of how hot the oven actually is. Of course, this is obvious in hindsight. It's on the opposite side as the burner, plus it's in the middle between the floor and dome. When the thermometer registered 600-700℉, the floor was hotter.

2. Turning the pizzas is harder than the videos look. This is going to take practice.

3. While I like how the bottoms turned out, I can understand why people purchase the Saputo tiles. It's possible I order them at some point.

4. I understand why people say a Neapolitan pizza is "tender".

5. It's extremely fun cooking pizza in an ourdoor gas fired pizza oven. Using wood will be even more fun... but I'm not ready to introduce another variable.

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2018, 11:50:42 PM »
Hi samyron,

I would just say don't worry about the cheese, at that temperature, it doesn't really have time to melt on all the surface. This is more like caramelized on the outside, and still fresh on the inside (a little bit like Chinese stir-fried food !).

It must fell good to have a pizza oven on your terrace !!
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline samyron

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 08:23:51 PM »
Hi samyron,

I would just say don't worry about the cheese, at that temperature, it doesn't really have time to melt on all the surface. This is more like caramelized on the outside, and still fresh on the inside (a little bit like Chinese stir-fried food !).

It must fell good to have a pizza oven on your terrace !!

It definitely does! Especially in the heat of the summer, when I don't have to turn on the oven in my house. Plus, I can make a style pizza I wasn't able to before.

Thanks for the tip on the cheese. Full disclosure, I really don't have any comparisons to make when it comes to Neapolitan pizza. I've never been to Italy nor have I really ever ordered what I would consider a Neapolitan pizza. The last picture in the post above where the cheese was just starting to have a few brown spots had a great taste and texture. I thought the cheese was just about right.

Offline Gene in Acadiana

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 01:18:33 AM »

2. Turning the pizzas is harder than the videos look. This is going to take practice.

A metal turning peel makes it much easier than using a standard peel. A 12" or 13" regular peel for launching and an 8" turning peel for turning and removing pizzas is a great combination.

Also, make sure to eventually try using 00 flour instead of KAAF to take full advantage of the oven's high temperatures and make true Neapolitan dough.

Offline samyron

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 03:05:02 PM »
A metal turning peel makes it much easier than using a standard peel. A 12" or 13" regular peel for launching and an 8" turning peel for turning and removing pizzas is a great combination.

Also, make sure to eventually try using 00 flour instead of KAAF to take full advantage of the oven's high temperatures and make true Neapolitan dough.

I purchased the turning peel from Pizza Party. Even with it, it's still going to take practice to get the technique down. I'm looking for a place to buy 00 flour, any recommendations?

Offline ccgus

• Maybe Pizza?
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 03:15:38 PM »
I purchased the turning peel from Pizza Party. Even with it, it's still going to take practice to get the technique down. I'm looking for a place to buy 00 flour, any recommendations?

I'm a big fan of Central Milling's Reinforced 00 flour: https://centralmilling.com/product/organic-type-00-reinforced/

Shipping prices are up there, but I really like it - I switched from Caputo after getting a couple of bad bags from them.

Offline Gene in Acadiana

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2018, 03:41:07 PM »

I've been happy with my orders from Brick Oven Baker.

Offline samyron

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 09:06:12 PM »
Baked two pizzas tonight. Unfortunately, I forgot to get pictures because I was hungry.

However, I'm starting to measure things to get a better idea of how the oven heats. It was 90℉ ambient temperature outside. I fired up the oven and left it to preheat with the burner on high. 10 minutes later, the floor temperature in the center of the oven was about 450℉. 5 minutes (+15 minutes after lighting) after that, it was about 550℉. 5 minutes after that (+20 minutes) it was about 600℉.

My plan was to cook with a deck temperature around 600-700℉ tonight so I lowered the heat to medium-low. I came inside to build my pizza. When I returned to the oven, the temperature had dropped to around 550℉ or so. I loaded the pizza anyway. I didn't time the cook, but it was between 4-5 minutes.

After it was done, I cranked the burner to high while I built the second pizza. It took 7 minutes or so for it to be ready (this was my first time making rectangular pizzas). When I came back to the oven, the deck temperature was about 750℉. This pizza cooked in around 2 minutes and was much better than the first. The coloring on the bottom was beautiful  (heavily leopard spotted bottom).

Thus far, I think this pizza oven performs best at temperatures north of 700℉. Then again, all of the pizzas I've cooked have been on Neapolitan style dough (though I've been using King Arthur AP or Bread flour. Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour is currently en route).

I think I'm going to attempt an 800+℉ bake next. I should have the Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour tomorrow so I hope to attempt it this weekend.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 09:17:56 PM by samyron »

Offline Gene in Acadiana

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 10:54:08 PM »
Sounds like you're enjoying your oven! Yes, with Caputo 00 you'll want to bake at a higher temp. I've only had my Bollore oven a couple of months, but for me the sweet spot seems to be a floor temp of between 850 and 900 F. I also leave the door off and turn the flame down slightly during the bake. I keep the flame lower in between bakes as I usually make one pizza, enjoy it, then prep another, turning the gas up to full about 5 minutes before I'm ready to bake again. If I leave the oven going on full in between bakes it gets too hot. I have a Saputo floor. 

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2018, 10:29:24 AM »
Are you preheating with the door on? If not, it will heat A LOT faster with it on. In 20 min total, I'm at 1000F+. I bake with the door off, but I put it on between bakes. It holds in a lot of heat.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Gene in Acadiana

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2018, 03:50:32 PM »
Are you preheating with the door on? If not, it will heat A LOT faster with it on. In 20 min total, I'm at 1000F+. I bake with the door off, but I put it on between bakes. It holds in a lot of heat.

Yeah, I only take the door off when I'm about to launch the first pizza, then put it back on when I'm trying to get the temperature back up for the next one.

Offline samyron

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2018, 09:33:28 PM »

Yup, the door is on the whole time. Next time I'm going to let it go 20 minutes at full blast before I check the temperature.

Offline samyron

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2018, 09:35:37 PM »
Sounds like you're enjoying your oven! Yes, with Caputo 00 you'll want to bake at a higher temp. I've only had my Bollore oven a couple of months, but for me the sweet spot seems to be a floor temp of between 850 and 900 F. I also leave the door off and turn the flame down slightly during the bake. I keep the flame lower in between bakes as I usually make one pizza, enjoy it, then prep another, turning the gas up to full about 5 minutes before I'm ready to bake again. If I leave the oven going on full in between bakes it gets too hot. I have a Saputo floor.

I'm definitely enjoying this oven. It's very fun to cook on. The only problem is taking a step back in my pizza quality. When using my normal home oven, I pretty much had my ideal pizza down to a science. Now there are extra variables I have to adjust for. It'll take time... but it's a very fun process.

Offline sear

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2018, 03:46:42 PM »
I'm definitely enjoying this oven. It's very fun to cook on. The only problem is taking a step back in my pizza quality. When using my normal home oven, I pretty much had my ideal pizza down to a science. Now there are extra variables I have to adjust for. It'll take time... but it's a very fun process.

You can also try upping hydration to 64-65%

Offline samyron

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2018, 08:39:46 PM »
You can also try upping hydration to 64-65%

I will definitely be experimenting with hydration. In my home oven, I use a 70% hydrated dough. I just received Caputo 00 Pizzeria flour and made a batch of dough this morning. It's 63% hydration. The dough felt awesome. I can't believe how different the Caputo 00 flour feels as compared to KAAP. I'm very excited to see how it bakes.

Offline samyron

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2018, 05:02:38 PM »
Another set of pizzas done today. I let the oven preheat for 20 minutes on max before I checked the temperature. The temperature was around 600°F. I let it go for another five minutes and it was about 750°F. I'm  a bit disappointed it didn't hit 900+°F. The directions of the oven say don't heat the oven on max for longer than 25 minutes so I was nervous to keep it going. Any ideas? Based on what I've read from others, it should have no problem hitting 900°F.

The dough made with the caputo flour feels wonderful. It's a pleasure to work with. 63% hydration seems great. I'll experiment more, though.

I've attached a picture of the last pizza that came out of the oven. I didn't flour the peel enough so it got a bit oblong. Unfortunately I turned my back for a second and one side got a bit charred.  It took about 90 seconds to cook.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 06:29:13 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline Gene in Acadiana

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2018, 08:32:09 PM »
What are you using to take your temperature readings - the built-in thermometer or a laser? The built-in thermometer is not very accurate and often takes a long time to get in the ballpark of the actual temperatures, if it ever does. I strictly use the laser to take the floor temps as a guide and ignore the one that's built-in.

I have a Bollore which is a slightly smaller oven but I usually need to let the oven heat on max for about 25 minutes to get around 900 F. I think the danger of leaving it on maximum is only when the oven gets beyond 1000 F, not the length of time it is on max (but maybe I'm wrong). Mine would definitely go above 1000 if I left it on another 5 or 10 minutes. I would try letting it go for another 5 or 10 minutes with the door on and just monitor the temps. 

Offline samyron

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2018, 08:50:28 PM »
What are you using to take your temperature readings - the built-in thermometer or a laser? The built-in thermometer is not very accurate and often takes a long time to get in the ballpark of the actual temperatures, if it ever does. I strictly use the laser to take the floor temps as a guide and ignore the one that's built-in.

I have a Bollore which is a slightly smaller oven but I usually need to let the oven heat on max for about 25 minutes to get around 900 F. I think the danger of leaving it on maximum is only when the oven gets beyond 1000 F, not the length of time it is on max (but maybe I'm wrong). Mine would definitely go above 1000 if I left it on another 5 or 10 minutes. I would try letting it go for another 5 or 10 minutes with the door on and just monitor the temps.

I use the laser thermometer. Two of them actually (I tried both to see if they're reading near the same temperature). I aim the laser at the floor in the middle of the oven and take the reading. Obviously, if I aim it at the floor under the burner it's a bit hotter.

Thanks for the info about the Bollore. If it heats in 25 minutes or so perhaps the larger Passione just needs a bit more time.

Offline samyron

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2018, 09:03:15 PM »
Also, one more question.. does anyone adjust the chimney opening? I haven't adjusted mine since receiving the oven. Would closing it a bit help?

wordpress