A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: La Pizza House Des Moines, Iowa  (Read 572 times)

Offline YendorofNY

• I Love Pizza!
La Pizza House Des Moines, Iowa
« on: July 30, 2018, 07:48:05 AM »
For over 50 years, Russ & Abby's La Pizza House was the place to go for fine dining & the best, cracker crust pizza in Des Moines. Back in the 70's-80's Pizza Hut Thin & Crispy was close. Russ & Abby were brothers & not long into their venture, had a falling out. 8 years ago, Russ retired & closed down. His brother had already opened a couple shops under his last name and called them Polito's Pizza. Anyway, I'm looking to make a pizza as similar to theirs as possible, without having a 800° oven at my disposal. Currently, Polito's opened under the name, "Polito's La Pizza House, a few blocks from the closed icon and the pizza is the same. Up on Hubell Avenue, Bianchi's Hilltop Restaurant is very close, but the sauce is not quite the same. Anyone that has savored these pizzas, that is more serious than I, may have a clue as to how they are produced. Neither location will divulge their recipes to me. (imagine that)  :chef:

Offline CyzzleB

• Even bad pizza is not too bad :)
Re: La Pizza House Des Moines, Iowa
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 02:58:23 PM »
I grew up not far from there and agree on how great the pizza’s were (are).  Unique style given the sauce spooned on top of the cheese in addition to under. It mixes with the cheese which may also be a blend as it seems less stringy and dry than straight mozzarella. The crust doesn’t seem to have much yeast if at all.  The sauce is the key but I’d have to have it often to help recreate that. 

A D V E R T I S E M E N T

wordpress