A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Long Live the Blackstone..How to Keep them Turning and Burning  (Read 15615 times)

Offline davioh2001

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Long Live the Blackstone..How to Keep them Turning and Burning
« Reply #220 on: September 08, 2020, 08:58:03 PM »
     Yes, I  actually do view it as an excuse since there was nothing stopping BS from hiring more agents and most companies adapted by doing just that. I sometimes even hear kids pets or other noises in the background when calling other companies but that's 0% concerning because the company and agents are "tcb" for customers at home just as well as they can at a call center! I had other interactions with similar companies during the same time and didn't have to spend almost 2 hours on the phone!!!
    All the above now aside I also posted this to make other forum members here aware that BS may now  finally be in a better staffing position to answer phones / emails in a reasonable time frame (minutes not hours) so if Someone is having problems now may be a better time to try instead of getting frustrated and giving up.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #221 on: September 10, 2020, 10:55:47 AM »
No.Fiorot.  .give us a break with your snappy scolding.. read your harsh responses before posting them..

The reality is BS was impossible to get responses from or even get a call long before the pandemic. so yes. Its an excuse

What's yours? As OP on this thread I don't appreciate your snark one little bit.

Knock it off

Offline DoouBall

• Supporting Member
« Reply #222 on: September 10, 2020, 12:38:33 PM »
I'm wondering if anyone on this thread tried to replace their Blackstone with a Roccbox? I'm considering this move because the Blackstone, as nice as it is, doesn't work the best at the highest heat levels and tends to burn the toppings if you don't turn the heat down, so I'm forced to run it about 750F which makes it harder to brown 00 flour for an authentic Neapolitan. I've had to resort to adding some diastatic malt or oil to the dough to improve browning, but I'd rather get an oven in which I can use a simple traditional Neapolitan dough recipe and still get great browning.

Curious how you guys think Roccbox compares. It seems to make a smaller maximum diameter pizza, which I think I can live with, but the crust looks more evenly browned in most pictures, and the toppings don't appear burned. Looks much better insulated for even heat throughout the inside. Thoughts?
Alex

Outdoor Oven: Blackstone. Indoor Oven: Gaggenau.

Offline barryvabeach

• Supporting Member
« Reply #223 on: September 10, 2020, 07:49:21 PM »
Dou, I don't have a Roccbox, but my guess is your thoughts make sense,  though you might want to post on one of the Roccbox threads,  you will probably get a better response.  To me,  the BS is pretty ideal, since it does allow a larger size, and having the pie rotate really lets you get even browning.  As to the tops burning, are you using a chauflector?  If not, you might want to fabricate a door for the BS, and preheat at full with the door on, which should get the bottom stone much hotter, then cook with the door open and the flame set lower.    While the Roccbox is better insulated, the BS has a flamethrower for heat, so adding a door should get the stone temp up.  I have a door on mine, though usually use it just to get a short preheat time, and leave it open during cooking.  There is still plenty of airflow from below, plus since the stone and platter stick out the front, the door doesn't seal up that area either.

Offline DoouBall

• Supporting Member
« Reply #224 on: September 10, 2020, 10:57:05 PM »
Barry, thanks for the tips. I did try a chauflector before. Maybe I didn't set it up it right, but all it did is char up my cornicione much faster, and that led to some really dark edges which I wasn't interested in, so I promptly removed it. The idea of a door for the BS sounds great - can you provide me some more info about how you made yours?

I also put washers under my bottom stone for a time, but I didn't notice much difference, so now I'm running a pretty much stock Blackstone.
Alex

Outdoor Oven: Blackstone. Indoor Oven: Gaggenau.

Offline barryvabeach

• Supporting Member
« Reply #225 on: September 11, 2020, 07:33:56 AM »
Alex,  on the chauflector, I asked because that can lead to burning of the top -  many of us used that to get more top heat, so if you had one,  I would have suggested you remove it.     I am posting the photos, though I know they violate the normal instagram rule of everything must look perfect.  First ,  I don't use the side shelves,  so  i cut a piece of the side shelf square tube off, then mounted a long stainless steel bolt as a post to that tube, and used some stainless steel and a screw to make a bracket to hold it in place on the left side of the oven.    The screw is attached to a wooden piece that was supposed to make it easier to take the bracket on and off, though I have never removed it.
Then i took a few pieces of stainless steel from an old microwave,  joined them, then bent one end into a circle so it would slip over the post.  With the bracket set so that the post is leaning back, the door tends to stay closed when I close it ,  and open when it is opened past 180 degrees.  Not a thing of beauty, but it does allow for a very fast preheat.    Another option for you to think about is that the burner distributes some of its heat to the bottom of the platter, and some goes behind and above the platter to give top heat to the oven.  IIRC, the 2Stone had an adjustment which allowed you to move the burner forward or back, which would change the top heat bottom heat balance.  While you can't easily move the burner, it is possible you could make a stainless steel diverter - like a vane on the air vents in your car, that direct more of the heat to the bottom of the pie.  I had though about constructing such a device with a lever going out the front so that you could change the distribution fore or aft , but the results without it were good enough that I never got around to it.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 07:35:37 AM by barryvabeach »

Offline texmex

• Supporting Member
  • I stole my avatar from the British Museum website
« Reply #226 on: September 11, 2020, 09:30:41 AM »
No.Fiorot.  .give us a break with your snappy scolding.. read your harsh responses before posting them..

The reality is BS was impossible to get responses from or even get a call long before the pandemic. so yes. Its an excuse

What's yours? As OP on this thread I don't appreciate your snark one little bit.

Knock it off

Blackstone ditched all of us who purchased their pizza oven. Can't get a response about pizza oven issues nor joyful pizza pride boasting, even on their instagram channel, which is active daily.  They are all about their griddle, and nothing else. Traditionally, BS CS is an oxymoron. They run their CS by throwing replacement parts at you until one sticks (even if it is damaged as well, or an obviously returned item). Ignoring you is a lot cheaper.
Reesa

Offline Chopper01

• Tasty High Hydration Pie Addict.
« Reply #227 on: September 11, 2020, 09:39:21 AM »
Alex,  on the chauflector, I asked because that can lead to burning of the top -  many of us used that to get more top heat, so if you had one,  I would have suggested you remove it.     I am posting the photos, though I know they violate the normal instagram rule of everything must look perfect.  First ,  I don't use the side shelves,  so  i cut a piece of the side shelf square tube off, then mounted a long stainless steel bolt as a post to that tube, and used some stainless steel and a screw to make a bracket to hold it in place on the left side of the oven.    The screw is attached to a wooden piece that was supposed to make it easier to take the bracket on and off, though I have never removed it.
Then i took a few pieces of stainless steel from an old microwave,  joined them, then bent one end into a circle so it would slip over the post.  With the bracket set so that the post is leaning back, the door tends to stay closed when I close it ,  and open when it is opened past 180 degrees.  Not a thing of beauty, but it does allow for a very fast preheat.    Another option for you to think about is that the burner distributes some of its heat to the bottom of the platter, and some goes behind and above the platter to give top heat to the oven.  IIRC, the 2Stone had an adjustment which allowed you to move the burner forward or back, which would change the top heat bottom heat balance.  While you can't easily move the burner, it is possible you could make a stainless steel diverter - like a vane on the air vents in your car, that direct more of the heat to the bottom of the pie.  I had though about constructing such a device with a lever going out the front so that you could change the distribution fore or aft , but the results without it were good enough that I never got around to it.

Barry thats a nice touch, having the door swing open from the side.

Offline barryvabeach

• Supporting Member
« Reply #228 on: September 11, 2020, 08:40:48 PM »
Chopper, thanks, I think someone else here came up with the door idea first,  I started using it when it was in the 30's and I wanted a quicker preheat.  The side hinge works pretty well, because it mostly stays put - close it once I light it, then open to load, and if I want a hotter temp, close it while cooking ,  and then open to remove,  or just leave open for lowers temps.  Every once in a while a strong breeze will push it open, but that is pretty rare. 

Offline parismountain

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #229 on: October 17, 2020, 09:37:15 AM »
Hi, Been using my Blackstone for 6 months now and last night my bottom stone cracked.  Does anyone have a  link to a replacement I can purchase?

Offline HansB

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #230 on: October 17, 2020, 10:28:29 AM »
Hans

Offline MicheleR

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #231 on: October 25, 2020, 01:26:09 AM »
I am looking for a new metal tray that holds the bottom stone

I have the first one that came out, it is solid and not hollow

BS did not have in stock.
Where else can I get one

Offline barryvabeach

• Supporting Member
« Reply #232 on: October 25, 2020, 08:22:45 AM »
Michele,  not sure what you are asking about.  The bottom stone rests on a steel platter.   This post has a photo of it https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=26839.0    IIRC, the steel shaft which turns the platter  is welded to this in the original model BS that I have, IIRC, it may be screwed on to the shaft in later models.  I don't know where you could find the platter, but a local welder could probably make something similar in short order by cutting up a piece of steel plate into a circle, and welding 4 or so tabs so the store would stay in place. 

Offline jonsem2

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #233 on: January 30, 2021, 02:55:24 PM »
Since my turntable warped I have been unable to get a replacement. Luckily I found someone on Instagram @darebuilt selling a steel plate replacement it can still hold the stone or be used as a steel ordered one canít wait!!

wordpress