A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Where to buy SAF Instant Yeast?  (Read 342 times)

Offline wiz_d_kidd

• Make Mine Large!
Where to buy SAF Instant Yeast?
« on: August 04, 2018, 04:34:28 PM »
I curious as to why I can't find Instant Yeast in my grocery stores in the US.  They all have "Active Dry" yeast, which is not the same thing. And they have "Rapid Rise, Fast Acting" yeast, which is not the same thing. And they even have "Bread Maker" yeast, which is not the same thing.  Why can't I find SAF Instant (red label) in my grocery stores? It's the world's number 1 selling brand! Is it because the yeast manufacturers are happy to charge US customers $3.50 per ounce for the little packets of Active Dry, rather than the $0.50 per ounce for Instant?  Has anyone found Instant yeast in any East-Coast grocery stores?  (I've checked Safeway, Giant, and Sprouts... no luck).

BTW, after searching local stores, I just ordered a pound of SAF Instant from Amazon.  I should be set for a quite some time.  I'm just curious about the general lack of the product in my grocery stores.

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
Re: Where to buy SAF Instant Yeast?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2018, 04:38:34 PM »
Rapid Rise Yeast = Bread Machine Yeast = Instant Yeast

They are all the same.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2018, 05:17:30 PM »
Restaurant Depot, Sams Club, Gordon Food Service. 500gram bricks approx 4 dollars.  in the fridge will last 2 years

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
  • If my pizza is wrong, I don't want to be right!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 06:39:23 PM »
Worst case, search "Lesaffre SAF-Instant" on Amazon (with Prime, $5-8/lb. -- cheaper than the jarred "Bread Machine" yeast). If you can find it locally, it should be closer to $4/lb.

Hah, didn't see the last line where you gave up and ordered it.   :-[
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 02:42:30 PM by vtsteve »
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 08:52:26 PM »
Whole Foods
Marty

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 09:53:48 PM »
Restaurant Depot, Sams Club, Gordon Food Service. 500gram bricks approx 4 dollars.  in the fridge will last 2 years

Glass canning jar in the fridge, 4+ years easy!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2018, 03:32:02 AM »
Glass canning jar in the fridge, 4+ years easy!

^^^
John

Offline Zing

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2018, 12:27:52 PM »
I curious as to why I can't find Instant Yeast in my grocery stores in the US.  They all have "Active Dry" yeast, which is not the same thing. And they have "Rapid Rise, Fast Acting" yeast, which is not the same thing. And they even have "Bread Maker" yeast, which is not the same thing.  Why can't I find SAF Instant (red label) in my grocery stores? It's the world's number 1 selling brand! Is it because the yeast manufacturers are happy to charge US customers $3.50 per ounce for the little packets of Active Dry, rather than the $0.50 per ounce for Instant?  Has anyone found Instant yeast in any East-Coast grocery stores?  (I've checked Safeway, Giant, and Sprouts... no luck).

BTW, after searching local stores, I just ordered a pound of SAF Instant from Amazon.  I should be set for a quite some time.  I'm just curious about the general lack of the product in my grocery stores.

Welcome to Pizzamaking.com.

Many of the threads here will discuss the subject of foodservice distributors. This is where restaurants buy their food from. SAF red label yeast is principally sold through foodservice as well as industrial food distribution channels - where food manufacturers, wholesale bakers like H&S, and similar firms buy through.

In your neck of the woods, you have Saval Foodservice in Elkridge, Prima Foods on Kane Street under I-95 in Baltimore, Sysco Baltimore's cash and carry outlet "Sysco Discount Food Center" on US1  in Elkridge. By becoming a member of the Kansas City Barbecue Society, you can get into the Baltimore Restaurant Depot. Some of those international food supermarket chains around Baltimore sell foodservice bags of SAF red label. Actually, you probably saved money by buying from Amazon since you didn't burn a lot of gas running around for the stuff.

Why some items are sold in grocery stores and why some in foodservice distributors is a subject in and of itself.

wordpress