A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Porcini/cep/penny bun..anyone forage wild mushrooms?  (Read 820 times)

Offline Hanglow

• I Love Pizza!
Porcini/cep/penny bun..anyone forage wild mushrooms?
« on: August 13, 2018, 10:57:25 AM »
It's that time of year here when the ceps are making an appearance, also seen a few other boletes but no chanterelles yet....anyone else collecting mushrooms?  I picked these today in a couple of patches, rather pleased with the haul. I realised I need a dehydrator but can't find any sore that sells one, guess I'll have to buy online

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
Re: Porcini/cep/penny bun..anyone forage wild mushrooms?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2018, 11:09:19 AM »
I found some rotten chanterelles.  Arghhh!
John

Offline Piezone

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2018, 11:15:29 AM »
It's that time of year here when the ceps are making an appearance, also seen a few other boletes but no chanterelles yet....anyone else collecting mushrooms?  I picked these today in a couple of patches, rather pleased with the haul. I realised I need a dehydrator but can't find any sore that sells one, guess I'll have to buy online
What a lovely haul!
It's been so dry here since May, the only thing I've seen are the odd oyster mushroom or chicken of the woods.

Offline Hanglow

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 11:35:22 AM »
That hot spell ended a couple of weeks ago for us, back to standard Scottish weather so plenty of rain  :-D

Offline Fiorot

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2018, 06:31:11 PM »
Not to rain on your parade but,  I grew up constantly hearing about some old Italian Guy or one in his family that died eating wild mushrooms.  Then there was the nickel story where you put it in the water with the Mushrooms and if it turned black they were poison.   Yet again there were stories who peaches and figs in a vat of grapes were needed to ferment instead of yeast.

Offline Hanglow

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2018, 03:03:56 AM »
It is true there are many lethal mushrooms, but if you stick to a select few then you should be very safe, there is nothing in the UK that looks like a penny bun that can kill you. A bitter bolete looks similar but that would just ruin your meal  ;D . And they are a lot better than store bought mushrooms

Offline Hanglow

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 05:32:25 PM »
Mushroom season really taking off just north of glasgow at least, loads of amethyst deceivers, brittlegills and various boletes. Found my first chanterelles of the season too, albeit only a couple. I was in speyside a week ago but it had still been much drier there and didn't see many, it's about the best area in the uk for mushrooms. I was drinking whisky though so overall a good trip :)

Offline Rolls

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 05:41:49 PM »
. . . I was drinking whisky though so overall a good trip :)

Slàinte mhath.

Rolls
"There's nothing wrong with having a tree as a friend."  -Bob Ross

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2018, 12:27:31 AM »
Hen of the woods/maitake/sheepshead mushrooms are starting to show up, and will till the first hard freeze, one of my favorites and grow in clumps up to 20+ pounds.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 12:33:39 AM by Jackitup »
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Hanglow

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2018, 12:18:10 PM »
some  normal  and trumpet chanterelles today as well as a couple of bay boletes and a small brown birch bolete

pete, it was a top down picture, no need to edit surely?  :-D
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 12:37:18 PM by Hanglow »

Offline Piezone

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2018, 01:37:12 PM »
some  normal  and trumpet chanterelles today as well as a couple of bay boletes and a small brown birch bolete

pete, it was a top down picture, no need to edit surely?  :-D

Very nice. Blimey, winter chanterelles out already? They seem to get earlier every year.

Offline Hanglow

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2018, 10:39:32 AM »
They are certainly popping up a lot here. Have picked a mass of winter chantarelles next to Loch Ard, all dried. Was out today in a country park, didn't see too much apart from a load of flyagarics. Only found a bay bolete  and some hedgehog mushrooms to dry

Offline Hanglow

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2018, 03:20:16 PM »
The season has certainly slowed down now, still got another kg of winter chantarelles today as well as a large mature bay bolete. Will be oysters and velvet shanks soon.

Offline Hanglow

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2019, 04:46:56 PM »
Wood ear mushrooms are abundant right now on elder in the UK, the texture is a bit  of an acquired taste though. Also Scarlett elf cups.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2019, 07:49:03 PM »
Wood ear mushrooms are abundant right now on elder in the UK, the texture is a bit  of an acquired taste though. Also Scarlett elf cups.
My goodness, the choices you have! I would LOVE to find/try some fresh porcinis sometime. Everytime I go to Eataly I look. We have lots of morels in our area.
-Tony

Offline Pazzo

• L’appetito vien mangiando
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2019, 11:03:06 PM »

What do you do with the wood ears?
"I would never win an award for not loving pizza!" -Dwayne Johnson

Offline Hanglow

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2019, 10:24:06 AM »
My goodness, the choices you have! I would LOVE to find/try some fresh porcinis sometime. Everytime I go to Eataly I look. We have lots of morels in our area.

morels are a bit rarer here but they can be found I think. I'll be trying a bit harder this year to look for them. With guaranteed rain and a mild climate, there's a lot of mushrooms about

What do you do with the wood ears?

I've only tried them in a chinese dish; black fungus salad.  I haven't really cooked with them before, so I'll be trying them out in a bunch of recipes to see if I like them and whether to bother picking them again next year. I managed to fill my dehydrator with them so I've got a fair amount

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2019, 10:43:59 PM »
Even if a mushroom is texturally odd and unpleasant, don't toss them. Try grinding them into a powder and add to salts or other seasonings! I do this with very funky dried porcinis and use it in savory blends for burgers and steaks and such! Wood ear/black fungus can be oddly like a brittle rubber, not bad but not my favorite. Be interested in what you think of your catch.
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Pazzo

• L’appetito vien mangiando
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2019, 09:55:55 AM »
Even if a mushroom is texturally odd and unpleasant, don't toss them. Try grinding them into a powder and add to salts or other seasonings! I do this with very funky dried porcinis and use it in savory blends for burgers and steaks and such! Wood ear/black fungus can be oddly like a brittle rubber, not bad but not my favorite. Be interested in what you think of your catch.

I found so many hen of the woods this season that I had to dehydrate some (or buy another freezer). I ground them up with some other spices and have been adding them to mushroom pizzas mostly but also meatballs and other dishes.
"I would never win an award for not loving pizza!" -Dwayne Johnson

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2019, 10:24:54 AM »
I found so many hen of the woods this season that I had to dehydrate some (or buy another freezer). I ground them up with some other spices and have been adding them to mushroom pizzas mostly but also meatballs and other dishes.

Hen of the woods is probably my favorite mushroom, even better than morels and I love them too. I think most mushrooms, particularly morels benefit by drying first, then rehydrating! Concentrates flavors and improves texture.
Jon