A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Porcini/cep/penny bun..anyone forage wild mushrooms?  (Read 2738 times)

Offline Carlokill

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Porcini/cep/penny bun..anyone forage wild mushrooms?
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2019, 09:02:26 AM »
jelly sounds good, what gelling agent do you use? ive recently started using carragenan. really good for thd pannacotta i make
handy to see the bitter bollete I've seen a few with simular dark net on stem but not noticed the pink hue in pores. I've steer clear as they don't have a lot of meat on there bones as it were
glad to say my prime spot has started producing rot free porcini again. chantrelles have slowed sown but seem to get getting better sizes now
made my first sauce with the porcini I dried few weeks ago,  WOW! looking forward to more of that this winter

Offline Hanglow

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2019, 03:07:52 PM »
Oh it was a jam/conserve, just with no pips/solid fruit in it so just heated to 105c and it sets

Offline Hanglow

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2019, 12:57:03 PM »
More winter chanterelles today, also chantarelle, hedgehog and a few ceps. Not much around as it's been a bit too dry here during September hopefully it will piss down this week!

Offline Carlokill

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2019, 09:28:53 AM »
Are you getting this rain?
Not a bad haul. there looking fresher than whats showing here atm
The dry spell has slowed things down here. Given me a chance to checkout other hillside though :)
Rained for last few days now so gonna give that a chance to soak in before hitting my prime spot
Went to a spot where I've previously found hundreds of rotten cepes today. Few fresh ones growing back, few old chanterelles.
Found quite a lot of bolette with long scaled looking stems. I'll upload some pics from my phone later.
 Sooooooo many cordyseps, and starting to get big. All seem to be growing out of wood. I can only assume if they only grow on hosts that these critters buried emselves deep in the wood as I've tried digging them out but he wood is too hard. Not rotten enough to break apart
Im struggling to find any clear info on cordys and there edibility. Loads of info about medicinal properties but nothing really about general identification and lookalikes
Need a quiet night to do more research
Finally got a pizza using the porcini that the customers are buying.
Making a sauce using the dried porcini and a few chanterelles and pairing with some smoked chicken. Got a few out the door last week
Happy hunting
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 09:34:50 AM by Carlokill »

Offline Hanglow

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #64 on: September 26, 2019, 03:01:57 PM »
Yeah we;ve had loads of rain this week, hopefully I'll get to pick some more this weekend.

Offline Carlokill

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #65 on: September 27, 2019, 09:16:39 AM »
3 hours in the thickets this morn
stabbed in the eye twice by branches,drenched to bone, pine needles every where, and I mean everywhere. worth every minute :)

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #66 on: September 27, 2019, 09:33:03 AM »
3 hours in the thickets this morn
stabbed in the eye twice by branches,drenched to bone, pine needles every where, and I mean everywhere. worth every minute :)
Incredible haul you made! Hey, it could have been worse if they had been spruce needles.  :-D
-Tony

Offline Carlokill

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #67 on: October 05, 2019, 12:46:27 PM »
another monster haul, bugger all porcini though
started mitting the moorlands now weve had a major dowpour. time to learn some new species :)

Offline Hanglow

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2019, 10:53:21 AM »
Nice again.

Only been out a couple of times in the last week or so, got quite a few winter chanterelles  today.  I found one cep the moment I got out of my car so was thinking I'd get a bunch of them....no such luck, only the one  :-D

Offline Hanglow

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2019, 10:16:47 AM »
Only really getting small amounts at the moment, been enjoying walking through the autumn woods more  ;D last haul was a decent cauliflower fungus, a really nice solitary cep, fair number of brittlegills and amethyst decievers and hedgehogs.

some areas where I go mushroom hunting

Offline Carlokill

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2019, 01:51:00 PM »
looks lovelly, ive been hitting the moors alot latly
managed a session in the plantation this morning though and had this haul
few winter chants in there as well

Offline Carlokill

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2019, 11:53:53 AM »
a really odd patch of bolette today
didnt get a shot of the clump unfortunatly. about 5 in a cluster
20yards from an oak tree in heavily mined(100s of years ago) moorland

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2019, 01:45:23 PM »
Carlo and Hanglow: what kinds of insects and animals are interested in (compete for) the mushrooms you find in such great numbers. I am blown away by the amounts you regularly harvest.
-Tony

Offline Hanglow

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2019, 05:08:19 PM »
Carlokill, not too sure what that one is. Looks a bit like a bitter beech bolete (can also grow with oaks) but I can't really see a net pattern on it. the pores look a bit too yellow to be a scarlatina bolete. Lurid bolete is another possibility. or one of the other rubroboletus ones.

foreplease, rabbits and deer will eat some, squirrels too. I have often seen a half eaten mushroom  up a tree  :-D 

Slugs are the worst culprits though, they eat lots of mushrooms. Most of the mushrooms I pick will be partially eaten by slugs, certainly in summer at least.

Chantarelles though tend not to be as badly affected, they have a bitter compound in them that will put off most slugs.

We've had a few frosts now so things have slowed down a lot. I did get another decent batch of winter chantarelles at the weekend and found my first hen of the woods this year today, it's  not particularly common in scotland.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 05:13:12 PM by Hanglow »

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2019, 05:39:42 PM »
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Maitake/Hen Of The Woods! Biggest I've found was a 25 pound growth!!!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

wordpress