A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Best NY Style Pizzeria in Orange County area?  (Read 2501 times)

Offline MuffinFTW

• I Love Pizza!
Best NY Style Pizzeria in Orange County area?
« on: August 16, 2018, 05:15:23 AM »
I'm from the Orange County area, and just wondering what are your guys favorite New York style pizzeria in the O.C. area? I'm looking for new places to try :)

Offline hotsawce

Re: Best NY Style Pizzeria in Orange County area?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2018, 01:41:53 PM »
Make a short trip up to Prime in LA.

Offline MuffinFTW

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2018, 03:52:47 PM »
Make a short trip up to Prime in LA.

I've been meaning to try it. Is that even the best NY slice in LA though? Still looking for OC places though :(

Offline jsaras

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 07:54:39 PM »
Is that even the best NY slice in LA though?

No.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Essen1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 11:53:12 PM »
Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Offline MuffinFTW

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2018, 01:50:38 AM »
No.

What would you say is? :) I havenít tried many pizza places in LA yet.

Offline jsaras

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2018, 10:14:31 AM »
What would you say is? :) I havenít tried many pizza places in LA yet.

For NY-centric pizza you could hit up Tomato Pie Pizza Joint, Vitoís on La Cieniga, or Grimaldiís if you want a coal oven pizza.  I havenít been to Appoloniaís yet, but their squares look unbelievable

Offline MuffinFTW

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 08:23:39 PM »
For NY-centric pizza you could hit up Tomato Pie Pizza Joint, Vitoís on La Cieniga, or Grimaldiís if you want a coal oven pizza.  I havenít been to Appoloniaís yet, but their squares look unbelievable

I've had Vito's and it's good and definitely authentic. I'll try Tomato Pie Pizza Joint next! Any other suggestions for the best NY-centric pizza places in LA?

Also, if anyone still reads this, I'm still looking for good OC area spots!

Offline tinroofrusted

• Experimenting....
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2018, 09:05:47 PM »
I'm from the Orange County area, and just wondering what are your guys favorite New York style pizzeria in the O.C. area? I'm looking for new places to try :)

No need to travel to LA for a NY slice.  Try Johnny's New York Pizza in Newport Beach.  There are two locations.  It's good. 

http://www.johnnysrealnypizza.com/

It's not New York style but my favorite pizzeria in Orange County, is Pitfire Pizza in Costa Mesa, so if you haven't tried that, give it a go. Very good pizza in my book.
http://www.pitfirepizza.com/costa-mesa

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2018, 11:54:18 PM »
Prime s#$*s on all of them. How do I know? I literally live among the best examples of NY pizza. Don't talk NY pizza to a NYer...

Why is Prime better than the garbage you listed? It's the only spot that attempts to cook even close to hot enough, gets the thickness factor right, uses the right ingredients.... oh, and Frank from Best consulted on that pie - and Best Pizza is one of the Best slices in NYC.

Tomato Pie and Vito's are slow baked, 10 minute plus dried out pieces of crap compared to Prime. You going to trust the warped view of a Californian on NY pizza? No. Don't. Prime is worth it. Trust me.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 11:58:38 PM by hotsawce »

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2018, 11:59:11 PM »
It is. By a long shot.

I've been meaning to try it. Is that even the best NY slice in LA though? Still looking for OC places though :(

Offline jsaras

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2018, 12:12:01 AM »
Prime s#$*s on all of them. How do I know? I literally live among the best examples of NY pizza. Don't talk NY pizza to a NYer...

Why is Prime better than the garbage you listed? It's the only spot that attempts to cook even close to hot enough, gets the thickness factor right, uses the right ingredients.... oh, and Frank from Best consulted on that pie - and Best Pizza is one of the Best slices in NYC.

Tomato Pie and Vito's are slow baked, 10 minute plus dried out pieces of crap compared to Prime. You going to trust the warped view of a Californian on NY pizza? No. Don't. Prime is worth it. Trust me.

The blend of KASL and Caputo was just OK and the sausage on the pizza was less than OK.  If that's your definition of the "correct" ingredients for NY pizza,  then I much prefer the "garbage". 

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2018, 10:19:57 AM »
At least you admit you donít know NY pizza.

Again, Frank uses a blend of 00 and malted flour - itís not a detriment with the fermentation method they use. By the way, itís not KASL..... so youíre clearly misguided.

You like a pale, overbaked, 10 minute pie. Thatís fine. Donít call it NY pizza.

Prime is the only good NY pizza Iíve had in the area. Little Oven in Merced is probably the only other great NY slice in your state.

Again, Iím not saying Prime is the best example Iíve had of the style but itís certainly the closest thing you got there

The blend of KASL and Caputo was just OK and the sausage on the pizza was less than OK.  If that's your definition of the "correct" ingredients for NY pizza,  then I much prefer the "garbage".

Offline tinroofrusted

• Experimenting....
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2018, 10:34:23 AM »
This is starting to remind me of a Scott123 thread ( in the of days).  Hotsawce, you are kind of endearing with your NY pizza orthodoxy, but please remember to be courteous to those of us who have not had the benefit of a NYC upbringing. 

Offline jsaras

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2018, 11:26:17 AM »
At least you admit you donít know NY pizza.

Again, Frank uses a blend of 00 and malted flour - itís not a detriment with the fermentation method they use. By the way, itís not KASL..... so youíre clearly misguided.

You like a pale, overbaked, 10 minute pie. Thatís fine. Donít call it NY pizza.

Prime is the only good NY pizza Iíve had in the area. Little Oven in Merced is probably the only other great NY slice in your state.

Again, Iím not saying Prime is the best example Iíve had of the style but itís certainly the closest thing you got there

It was KA Sir Galahad flour (I knew it was a KA flour).  When I had lunch there the bake time was between eight to nine minutes for a large pizza (you can find my Yelp review from three years ago).  By YOUR definition, it is not a NY pizza.  Other than it having loose association in the past with Frank Pinello, I donít understand your adoration of this place. 

Online jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2018, 06:58:31 PM »
Chill.
John

Offline nikesparq

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2018, 02:57:13 AM »
In a recent Youtube video, some young filmmakers visited four spots in L.A. in search of NY style pizza: Prime, Mozza, Lamonica and Pizzanista.

Offline jsaras

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2018, 09:36:10 AM »
In a recent Youtube video, some young filmmakers visited four spots in L.A. in search of NY style pizza: Prime, Mozza, Lamonica and Pizzanista.

Mozza isnít a NY pizza and never pretends to be that.  Itís a Cali-politan, if there is such a thing.  If one takes the preconceived stylistic element out of the judging criteria, it is the best pizza they tried.  It just is.

Pizzanista is a very solid pizza that would be even better if they used a little less cheese IMO.  However, they use hybrid leavening.  This would take them out of the NY category for the fundamentalists out there, but I have no such delusions of purity.  As I recall, itís 20% sourdough mixed into their batches of dough that have ADY in them, which are then cold fermented.

Lamonicaís uses frozen commisary dough.  If thatís their ideal slice, then I guess thereís a lid for every pot :-}

Online jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2018, 01:05:33 PM »
guess thereís a lid for every pot :-}

I was doubting that a few minutes ago making ramen for my son.  But whattaya know, there it is!

John

Offline hammettjr

• Supporting Member
  • Matt
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2018, 08:39:05 PM »

I was expecting the worst, but was pleasantly surprised. The only pie in that video that is all-around unappealing to me is Prime. (Though obviously I'm judging purely based on the visual.)

Matt

wordpress