A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: How to lose weight and have your pizza too!  (Read 2513 times)

Offline petef

How to lose weight and have your pizza too!
« on: August 21, 2018, 02:40:55 PM »
Over the past 3 months I've lost 10 pounds and I'm still eating pizza, but it's been low carb pizza. At least for me, cutting my daily carbs to 30 to 50g carbs was the key to losing weight quite effortlessly and without all the hunger & cravings.

You can buy low carb pizza crusts online made from Cauliflower for about $7 per pie. These are about 6g carbs per 9" dia. crust.
https://www.califlourfoods.com/collections/3-pack-bundles/products/3-pack-of-original-italian?gclid=CjwKCAjw8O7bBRB0EiwAfbrTh0wjS-PktV88PL-c7aahvWhJwoy5gZzSTym5JU6gctUipQIrZnHCBxoCb4kQAvD_BwE

Now these low carb Pita Breads are only 8g carbs per pita. You can split one in half and make 2 mini pizzas. These taste more like traditional pizza crust.
Joseph's Flax Oat Bran and Whole Wheat Pita Bread Reduced Carb
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HHITSLE/?tag=pmak-20

Another option is to just use your favorite pizza dough recipe and make a super thin crust. Don't eat the entire pie. Eat just a slice or two to satisfy your pizza cravings and have a salad on the side.

You can also find many recipes on YouTube for low carb pizza crust. I chose to make my own and had mixed results. With 100% cauliflower, it looks like pizza, but the taste of the crust is not the same as traditional bread flour based crust. I'd say it tastes a bit like eggplant parmesan, but it still satisfied my craving for pizza. Good enough for a temporary weight loss plan.

Here's my latest reduced carb pizza where the carbs are cut by about half of my traditional bread flour pizza. I used a combo of ground cauliflower, almond flour, and bread flower. My 12" reduced carb pizza cut into 10 slices is just 10 carbs per slice as compared to my traditional bread flour pizza which is about 18 carbs per slice. This one tastes a lot like real pizza, but I still need to improve the texture to get more of a rise from the dough.

What's your experience with low carb pizza crust?

#lowcarb pizza #low carb

--pete--
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 03:02:23 PM by petef »

Offline TMB

• My mission: Low Carb Pizza that taste great!
Re: How to lose weight and have your pizza too!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 02:51:34 PM »
OH looks so good!!   I'm not a fan of CF, taste funny to me but willing to try it :chef:

I go with Almond Flour/ Mozzarella mix and add flavor to it works well ;D    Now trying a new combo, CarbQuick/Alomond Flour/Mozzaerlla to get more of a regular flour taste  works well

Here is another recipe
 https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=53780.msg540017#msg540017
Live, Ride and Always thank God!
6 Big Easy's
1 Rec-Tec grill/smoker
1 Home Built pellet grill
Working on a pellet pizza oven
Grill2Go grill
Lots more but not enough room ;)

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 02:52:02 PM »
Looks great!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline petef

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 03:27:34 PM »
OH looks so good!!   I'm not a fan of CF, taste funny to me but willing to try it :chef:

Hold off until I can post my recipe and procedure. I have it partially written on paper, but still need to make it one more time to make some improvements and document the entire procedure into the computer.

The trick to eliminating most of the cauliflower taste was to soak the ground cauliflower for 2 hours in a mixture of salted white vinegar with some minced garlic. Then wrap it in cheese cloth to squeeze out most of the water.

No more water added after that. Just a couple of tablespoons of raw scrambled egg and the almond flour and bread flour to get the dough ball to form. I let it rise for an hour, but not much rise at all. Need to experiment with more yeast or maybe add in some baking soda or diastatic malt powder. Maybe even squeeze out more water and add more egg.

Use all that info and try some of your own ideas.

Here's just the ingredients list. It's the worksheet I use to calculate hydration and carbs. All amounts are in ounces by weight unless specified otherwise.

PS: You need to start with double the amount of raw Cauliflower as is specified for Cauliflower SqueezeDried. In this case it calls out for 8 oz (SqueezeDried), so start with 16 ounces raw cauliflower.

Also ignore the Califlower-dehydrated ingredient. That's just in there to calculate hydration. It's actually part of the Califlower-SqueezedDry ingredient. I had to separate out the wet from the dry portions in order to do all the calculations. Raw Cauliflower is 92% water. When you Squeeze out the water in cheese cloth its aprox 50% water. Also depends how hard you squeeze. Not an exact science. :)

--pete--
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 03:55:46 PM by petef »

Offline jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 03:53:22 PM »

What's your experience with low carb pizza crust?

Zero. :-D  I'd rather eat something low carb that tastes good without them.
John

Offline Whisky

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 04:29:37 PM »
Here is my experience with low carb diets. Have 1 cheat meal/week and eat a good pizza.

I've tried a couple low carb pizza options and I usually end up disappointed in the time I've spent making them. One was cauliflower crust and the other was an almond flour/cheese crust. It was really rich. 

Offline TMB

• My mission: Low Carb Pizza that taste great!
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 04:34:18 PM »
Here is my experience with low carb diets. Have 1 cheat meal/week and eat a good pizza.

I've tried a couple low carb pizza options and I usually end up disappointed in the time I've spent making them. One was cauliflower crust and the other was an almond flour/cheese crust. It was really rich.
The Alomod/Cheese crust can be a little rich, but seeings your only eating very few carbs vs reg flour crust it's worth it to me.    I'm a LONG time pizza lover and can't go a week without eating some sort of pizza weather it's crustless, low carb style or I save up and eat a reg flour crust on my cheat day

Live, Ride and Always thank God!
6 Big Easy's
1 Rec-Tec grill/smoker
1 Home Built pellet grill
Working on a pellet pizza oven
Grill2Go grill
Lots more but not enough room ;)

Offline chriscar

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 05:49:21 PM »

I haven't had so much as a slice since February, when I started a low carb / keto / time restricted diet. I tasted a Cauliflower crust pizza, but it didn't turn me on, and the carb count was still more than I was willing to eat.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago, when I ran across a Serious Eats / Kenji recipe for a bar pie using a tortilla base. I've made it a few times using Mission low carb (4 gram Fajita size) tortillas,  and it's better than I expected. Of course it doesn't hold a candle to a Blackstone pie, which I was making once or twice a week for years. The trickiest part is getting the tortilla crispy without burning it, but it's satisfying my pizza Jones for now.

As much as my wife and I miss our Sunday pizza ritual, I'll take the 35 pound loss every day over a pizza. I'll reach my goal in a few months, and there's real pizza in my future, but for now, no cheat days for me!

Cogito Ergo Zoom!

Offline petef

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 08:16:38 PM »
I haven't had so much as a slice since February, when I started a low carb / keto / time restricted diet. I tasted a Cauliflower crust pizza, but it didn't turn me on, and the carb count was still more than I was willing to eat.

Fast forward to 2 weeks ago, when I ran across a Serious Eats / Kenji recipe for a bar pie using a tortilla base. I've made it a few times using Mission low carb (4 gram Fajita size) tortillas,  and it's better than I expected. Of course it doesn't hold a candle to a Blackstone pie, which I was making once or twice a week for years. The trickiest part is getting the tortilla crispy without burning it, but it's satisfying my pizza Jones for now.

As much as my wife and I miss our Sunday pizza ritual, I'll take the 35 pound loss every day over a pizza. I'll reach my goal in a few months, and there's real pizza in my future, but for now, no cheat days for me!

Much of what you say rings a familiar bell with me. I haven't had real pizza since mid May 2018 when I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. That's when I started my low carb diet.

Going full Keto diet (less than 30 carbs/day) is difficult to achieve so I decided to go less extreme with 40 to 50 carbs per day and just try to eat more vegetables and the "good/healthy" omega 3 fats. The weight came off effortlessly and I have another 10 pound to go, but the amazing thing, within 3 weeks I was off the Metformin diabetic drug and my BG numbers were gradually coming back down. After 2 months I'm completely  back to normal with dietary changes alone. So that keeps me motivated to stick with it until I get down to my ideal weight with the reward of a real pizza at the goal line.:)

So that's one mindset.  See, I took this whole low carb, diabetes, weight loss thing as a challenge. A challenge to find new ways to eat into the future that I can live with forever. So I'm kind of having fun with it. I'm having my low carb pizza and still losing weight.

The pizza pics I posted I can't really taste the Cauliflower except for after after I'm done eating, there a very faint aftertaste. So I'm on the right track with more development of this recipe to go.

So far, that low carb Pita bread I posted is the best "bread" substitute I found to date. I only eat half of a pita for any given meal so that's only 3.5g carbs. I stuff it with traditional ingredients of a BLT sandwich, Sloppy Joes, Italian Hoagie, Whopper Burger, and even Hotdog & Saurkraut.

So keep an eye out for my posts in upcoming months as I share my progress with alternatives to the normally high carb breads & crusts we all love. Hopefully, I'm going to come up with some reduced carb recipes that will enable us to have some of our favorite foods with about 30% to 50% the carbs enabling us to have "cheat days" that are not cheating much at all. Perhaps something we can live with forever. :)

--pete--
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 08:20:33 PM by petef »

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 09:14:17 PM »
Metformin SUCKS, I was taking 4  500mg and a glipizide. Now 1, 500mg of metformin and an occasional glipizide 1/2 pill once a day. Side effects of metformin is enough to motivate most to do better with their diets!!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline quietdesperation

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 09:30:30 PM »
I promised myself I'd get into better shape when I retired. I needed to lose about 20 pounds and improve my aerobic fitness. I had been on a half-ass low carb diet for about two years and hated it. I decided to take an approach around creating caloric deficits through diet and exercise. I work out every day, lowered my caloric intake but eat what I want in terms of food. I still don't eat a lot of carbs but don't deny myself a slice of pizza or a croissant.

so far its worked well. I bake pizza every two weeks, before and after the bakes I increase my calorie burn. At one point I plotted my weight and pizza bakes against time and found I lose weight when eating pizza (because I overcompensate during workouts). I've lost 20 pounds, gained a couple back recently due to travel but I'm back to exercising every day and now I'm a pound or two away from target.

seems like you guys are doing great with what you're doing, just wanted to offer up a potential alternative.

best,
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 11:00:46 AM by quietdesperation »
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" - the hobbit, jrr tolkien

Offline Whisky

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2018, 09:35:50 PM »
Good luck guys I look forward to some of your other ideas. I just started week 4 of low carbs but I do have my cheat days once or twice a week. I'm not committed enough to give it 100% yet. And I work out 5-6 days a week so I need a little reward to keep motivated.

Tonight I got my kitchenaid spiralizer in the mail and made spaghetti with zucchini noodles. Not too bad actually.

Offline petef

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2018, 02:43:59 AM »
Metformin SUCKS, I was taking 4  500mg and a glipizide. Now 1, 500mg of metformin and an occasional glipizide 1/2 pill once a day. Side effects of metformin is enough to motivate most to do better with their diets!!

I didn't like the Metformin either. Too many digestive & bowel side effects. Glad I'm off it.

-pete-

Offline petef

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2018, 03:03:26 AM »
Tonight I got my kitchenaid spiralizer in the mail and made spaghetti with zucchini noodles. Not too bad actually.

Yeah, I didn't buy the spiralizer yet, but tried cutting up some zucchini noodles by hand just to  see if I liked them with spaghetti sauce and some meatballs. I tried some raw, some boiled 5 minutes, and some boiled just a minute or so. Boiling 5 minutes turned them to mush, raw was just ok, and boiling just a minute or so was the best.

I was thinking of combining some regular spaghetti with the zucchini noodles as a way to reduce the carbs while getting the good flavor of the pasta. See, these are the kinds of changes that one could live with forever and significantly reduce the problems associated with fast acting carbs like pasta.

Another example, Italian Hoagies/Subs are one of my favorites. I toast the bread and then scoop out most of the bread, leaving just the outer crust. Load it up with all the usual stuff and it tastes great. I don't even miss the bread that was removed. That's a dramatic reduction in carbs too.

--pete--

Offline petef

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2018, 03:19:43 AM »
seems like you guys are doing great with what you're doing, just wanted to offer up a potential alternative.

We each could have unique reasons for going low carb. It could be out of necessity for a diabetic condition, or weight loss, or just a more healthy lifestyle, or something else.

For me, it's about going to the extreme for several months in order to reverse a diabetic condition and to lose about 20 pounds to get back to my ideal weight. After that we'll see if if I actually cured myself of diabetes by eating a large meal of fast acting carbs and monitoring my Blood Glucose levels to see if they remain within normal limits.

Thanks for sharing your ideas.

--pete--

Offline Whisky

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2018, 09:25:10 AM »
Yeah, I didn't buy the spiralizer yet, but tried cutting up some zucchini noodles by hand just to  see if I liked them with spaghetti sauce and some meatballs. I tried some raw, some boiled 5 minutes, and some boiled just a minute or so. Boiling 5 minutes turned them to mush, raw was just ok, and boiling just a minute or so was the best.

I was thinking of combining some regular spaghetti with the zucchini noodles as a way to reduce the carbs while getting the good flavor of the pasta. See, these are the kinds of changes that one could live with forever and significantly reduce the problems associated with fast acting carbs like pasta.

Another example, Italian Hoagies/Subs are one of my favorites. I toast the bread and then scoop out most of the bread, leaving just the outer crust. Load it up with all the usual stuff and it tastes great. I don't even miss the bread that was removed. That's a dramatic reduction in carbs too.

--pete--

I saute the zucchini noodles either in butter or EVOO, add some seasoning to them as well. It doesn't take long, just enough to cook some water out of them and get them tender. Then I drain the water off. 

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2018, 10:01:21 AM »
Jon and petef,

You might be interested in knowing that metformin at the moment is at the heart of efforts to extend life. See, for example, the article at;

https://www.mauldineconomics.com/tech/tech-digest/the-world-could-be-changed-june-16-by-the-metformin-tame-trial

And, if you go to the main page of the website cited, at https://www.mauldineconomics.com/tech/search-results/d0f243c3a9fa81e45c176063a01e1811/#, and enter the word metformin in the search box, you can find more articles on the life extending use of metformin.

You don't hear much about metformin outside of its use by diabetics, and one of the reasons is that it is a generic ingredient and drug companies won't touch it because they can't make money producing that ingredient. They want patented ingredients. Also, the FDA has such rigid requirements that it would take years to test metformin to the satisfaction of the FDA. As it turns out, the Japanese will most likely be at the front of the charge because they have the oldest population in the world, and Japan is having big problems dealing with an aging population. As an example, there are many very old Japanese who intentionally commit crimes just to be arrested and be incarcerated and taken care of, including their medical needs. That can be very expensive, and further exacerbated because Japan's population is dropping at a fast rate, and their reproduction rate is dropping at the same time. See, for example, the article at https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/asia-pacific/birth-rates-in-japan-fall-to-lowest-level-on-record-1.3336732.

Just for your FYI.

Peter

Online Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2018, 10:52:51 AM »
Now if they could get the bowel/diarrhea issues out of the pills side effects that would be great! Being chained to the bathroom the first half of everyday isn't fun! Not everyone suffers that, but most do I think. Yes, the drug covers a lot more than just lowering your glucose levels, but it needs some tweaking!!!!
Jon

Offline petef

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2018, 07:12:44 PM »
Now if they could get the bowel/diarrhea issues out of the pills side effects that would be great! Being chained to the bathroom the first half of everyday isn't fun! Not everyone suffers that, but most do I think. Yes, the drug covers a lot more than just lowering your glucose levels, but it needs some tweaking!!!!
I agree 100%. Not only that, but if we read the Metformin warnings of all the other side-effects, one might conclude that we are lucky to still be alive after taking it. LOL :)

Having dealt with diabetes and taking the drug and all the experiences I've had over the past 20 years with changing diet and experiencing dramatic changes, I'd say that SUGAR or more correctly "fast acting carbs" are the enemy.

I read the article posted by Pete-zza about Metformin possibly being an anti-aging drug and that makes me wonder exactly how it works. It could very well be that it helps the body to process fast acting carbs such that the blood glucose (sugar) levels are minimized and it's the elevated levels of glucose/sugar in our bodies that causes aging, feeds cancer cells, and causes all sorts of other diseases.

If that's the case, perhaps we could all benefit by reducing the fast acting carbs in our diets because it would act as a preventative measure to contacting diseases such as heart disease, diabetes, cancer, and many more.

I've studied and tried various type of diets in my lifetime and the one that seems to cover all bases and makes the most sense is the Whole Food Plant Based diet. However, for folks like me that have become accustomed to eating such flavorful foods such as Pizza, Italian Hoagies, Juicy burgers & Steaks, Lasagna, BBQ Ribs & Chicken, and don't forget those FRENCH FRIES it's very difficult to say I'm not going to eat those ever again.  For all the pleasure they give, it might be just better to enjoy eating and just accept a shorter lifespan.  Or.... Perhaps we can go back and forth between eating for health and eating for pleasure to get the best bang for the time we are here on this planet. :)

So sticking with the topic of this thread, let's all see if we can develop some new ways to make a more healthy pizza crust that's low on carbs but still tastes great!

--pete--

« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 07:18:47 PM by petef »

Offline petef

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2018, 07:14:22 PM »
Jon and petef,

You might be interested in knowing that metformin at the moment is at the heart of efforts to extend life. See, for example, the article at;

https://www.mauldineconomics.com/tech/tech-digest/the-world-could-be-changed-june-16-by-the-metformin-tame-trial

Thanks, see reply #18.