A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Scratchy Husband Pasta Pizza  (Read 801 times)

Offline tinroofrusted

• Experimenting....
Scratchy Husband Pasta Pizza
« on: August 21, 2018, 03:19:38 PM »
I'm posting this in California style pizza because this is the place for "unusual" pizza toppings.  The toppings outlined here were inspired by a recent NY Times Magazine article by Gabrielle Hamilton (https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1019483-scratchy-husband-pasta) wherein she details a pasta dish she likes to make for her spouse, which they have named "Scratchy Husband Pasta".  It's a pretty basic sauce for pasta involving olive oil, butter, lots of garlic, chili flakes, and Parmesan cheese.  I wanted to make a pizza right after I saw this and thought I might be able to adapt the pasta sauce to a pizza topping. It came out to be unexpectedly delicious so I thought I would share the "recipe" here so anyone who's interested can try it. My big addition to the sauce described in the article was to add about 1/2 cup of very small diced potatoes to the sauce mixture.  Here is what I did:

Ingredients:
1/4 cup olive oil
2 Tablespoons butter
10 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced medium thick
1/2 cup red or white potatoes, finely cubed (1/8")
1 ripe red tomato sliced into thin rounds
1/2 tsp red chili flakes (or Aleppo pepper if you have it)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2/3 cup of Parmesan cheese (for topping the pizza)

Method:
In a pan, heat the olive oil, butter and garlic, until bubbling, over medium heat. Cook for a minute or so but don't brown the garlic.
Add the potatoes, tomato, salt, pepper and chili flakes, and turn the heat to low.  Let this bubble away until the tomato has turned to sauce and the potatoes are tender, about 12-15 minutes or so, depending upon how thinly you cubed the potatoes and sliced the tomato. When the potatoes are done, remove from heat and let cool.  (I was in a hurry so I put it in the freezer until it was cool, but if you have time just let it cool naturally. As most everyone who has made pizza knows, you don't want to put a hot topping on a pizza because it will cause the pizza to stick to the peel.) If you are punctilious you can fish out the tomato skins or even peel the tomato before you slice it. I did the former. 

When ready to top your pizza, spread the cooled sauce mixture and the Parmesan cheese evenly over the pizza. Bake the pizza as you normally would.  Slice and eat. 

It probably would be a good addition to add a tablespoon of chopped parsley to the mix, but I haven't tried that yet. Probably next time! 

If you try this please feel free to post your results here.   

Regards,

TinRoof

« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 03:38:55 PM by tinroofrusted »

Offline Mako13

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Scratchy Husband Pasta Pizza
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 02:56:52 AM »
Sounds interesting.

I've heard of people putting very thin, sliced potatoes on pies, and they claim it's awesome. 

Think they might add it with some meat, or other topping too, like bacon, but not 100% sure.

May have to try that one day.

Offline tinroofrusted

• Experimenting....
Re: Scratchy Husband Pasta Pizza
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 04:25:04 PM »
Thanks for your reply Make.  It's really pretty tasty. And easy to make too.  Give it a try. 

Another favorite pizza toppings  for me is potatoes tossed with pesto. 

A D V E R T I S E M E N T