A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Current recs for Columbus OH?  (Read 699 times)

Offline rdbedwards

• Supporting Member
  • Happiness is a perfectly baked Neapolitan pie
    • Boathouse Brewery
Current recs for Columbus OH?
« on: August 21, 2018, 06:26:35 PM »
I grew up in Columbus and used to love Rotolo's and Donato's.  I'll be back there next week after many years away and wondered what the recommendations were now?  Are these places still good?  I remember Tommy's had a cult following.  FYI, my pizza tastes have developed since then and now I like proper Neapolitan pizza as well as NY and Sicilian slices, but I'll probably still try my old favourites for nostalgic reasons.  Thanks!
Sunjoy Killington (aka Member's Mark) WFO
Pizza Party Ardore (propane with Saputo)

Offline JAG

Re: Current recs for Columbus OH?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 09:36:12 PM »
rdbedwards,

I am a transplant and have lived in the east Columbus burbs for many years. I have never been a fan of Donato's and have never had Rotolo's but there are some good places around town that my wife and I enjoy.

Natalie's Coal Fired- North High St. south of 270 in Worthington
Harvest- German Village
Also, forum member weemis has a place in Italian Village, GoreMade Pizza
Paulie Gee's- Short North, High St.
Also my wife and I operate a mobile WFO and work a Thurs. evening Farmers Market in Pickerington 4-7pm. We are more of an American wood fired doing 10" personals and not so much a legit Neapolitan style.

Offline bobgraff

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 09:46:13 PM »
Some of the more recent new comers are:

Harvest Pizza (Wood Fired)
GoreMade (Wood fired)
Paulie Gee's (Wood fired)
Natalie's Coal Fired

They even opened up a Giordano's, if deep dish is your thing.

While not new, I still have a soft spot for the pizza at Figlio (wood fired).

Borgata and Leone's are known for their "New York" style pizza.

Tommy's, Rotolo's, Donato's are all still around, however Rotolo's closed up all their stores except the original Grandview location.

There's definitely no shortage of choices, that's for sure.
Bob

"I learn each day what I need to know to do tomorrow’s work." - Arnold Toynbee

Offline rdbedwards

• Supporting Member
    • Boathouse Brewery
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2018, 01:19:57 PM »
Great, thanks for the info.  I've looked online and checked a few places out, I think Paulie Gee's looks worth a visit, and I'll go back to the original Rotolo's since growing up we used to get a pizza every Sunday night from there, and my kids will probably prefer Donato's since they favor chain pizza over anything higher end.

Offline bobgraff

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2018, 09:50:50 PM »
rdbedwards,

I am a transplant and have lived in the east Columbus burbs for many years. I have never been a fan of Donato's and have never had Rotolo's but there are some good places around town that my wife and I enjoy.

Natalie's Coal Fired- North High St. south of 270 in Worthington
Harvest- German Village
Also, forum member weemis has a place in Italian Village, GoreMade Pizza
Paulie Gee's- Short North, High St.
Also my wife and I operate a mobile WFO and work a Thurs. evening Farmers Market in Pickerington 4-7pm. We are more of an American wood fired doing 10" personals and not so much a legit Neapolitan style.

I did not know that a fellow forum member ran GoreMade - pretty cool! 

I'm not usually on the East side, but I'll make a mental note to check out your operation if I happen to be that way.

Apologies for the redundant post.  I apparently took a while to write that post.  Great minds think alike, I guess!

rdbedwards - hope you have a good visit!  Can't go wrong with any of those suggestions!
Bob

"I learn each day what I need to know to do tomorrow’s work." - Arnold Toynbee

Offline JAG

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 07:19:02 AM »
rdbedwards,

You may already know but Paulies is not open for lunch or at least wasn't, I haven't checked in a while. Just in case you are looking for a midday pizza fix ;)

Offline rdbedwards

• Supporting Member
    • Boathouse Brewery
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 02:59:02 PM »
Good to know, thanks for the heads up.  We'll plan to go to Paulie Gee's for dinner instead.  Looking forward to it!

Someone I'll be visiting is planning to go to Dewey's, which I'd never heard of.  Opinions?

Offline JAG

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2018, 04:46:34 PM »
rdbedwards,

I have been to the OSU campus area Dewey's, for me it was nothing special, but I am more of the high temp neo style pizza person. I was not bad but it just wasn't memorable, it is what I see as a typical American style pizza. Probably a safe bet to take the family, beer and salads available.

A family type place I have enjoyed is Pies And Pints. It has a bit more to offer menu wise but has a GREAT beer selection, pizza is a bit pricey but tasty and again to me what I consider American style.

JG

Offline rdbedwards

• Supporting Member
    • Boathouse Brewery
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 07:08:20 PM »
I'm back from Columbus and I got to try a few places.  Donato's was the first one, and I was disappointed from my memory of it.  I tried both the thin crust and the thicker and neither were as good as I remember.  The main problem was that the crust seemed soggy, so maybe it was just an off night.  The Rotolo's was as I remembered, good but not great pizza, so I think my standards are higher now. 

I also tried Tommy's, which I don't have a memory of, and it was ok to good, but not great either.  I didn't have a chance to go to Paulie Gee's, which is a shame because I'm guessing it would have been better than any of the places above.