A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Calling all Canadian's  (Read 454 times)

Offline pizzainthe6ix

• I Love Pizza!
Calling all Canadian's
« on: July 22, 2018, 01:14:55 PM »
For those of you from Canada (I am Toronto), where are you getting your pizza flour?

Offline Brent-r

• Supporting Member
  • Love the wood fired oven
Re: Calling all Canadian's
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 07:59:35 PM »
we are not exactly Toronto but Garden Foods in Bolton has several brands, including Polselli which is one of the favourites of some on this forum.   Garden Foods is an amazing grocery store like a mini-Whole Foods but with lower prices than Loblaws etc.
Grande Cheese  www.grandecheese.ca  has all kinds of sausages, cheeses, flours, pastas etc.  their locations are listed at the bottom of their home page.

Brent

Offline Brent-r

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 08:07:49 PM »
And Aurora Foods, near where I work, also has lots of Italian fixings including Poselli flour
I am a little embarrassed to admit that I have not been there yet
https://www.auroraimporting.com/products/#!/collection/filter/1/brand:Polselli/
Brent

Offline Simonthepieman

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2018, 12:35:48 PM »
Here in London ONT we get our 00 flour from International bakery on Hamilton road.

What kind of oven do you have??
I have a PP Pizzone. Love it, but still struggling with our dough...........  :-(

Offline BenMorg

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 10:24:39 PM »
I just bought a brand new 20kg bag of Farina Le 5 Stagioni '00' flour http://www.le5stagioni.it/en/Prodotti/Farina-per-pizza-napoletana (I think it's better than Caputo) that I don't need all of. I have been baking more bread than pizza lately and I won't use 20kg of this pizza flour before it expires.

If there is someone in the GTA that doesn't mind driving to Whitby to pick it up I will sell 10kg of it for $20.

If interested message me and we can make arrangements.

Offline Brent-r

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 04:27:36 PM »
today we went pizza shopping to MSM Fine Foods on Hwy y in Concord.
We went there specifically to get Stanislau 7/11 tomatoes.

We discovered that they only sell in commercial quantities and the big cans were not
for us.

They supply restaurants mostly but when the guys discovered we were real pizza enthusiasts
they warmed up and real friendly, made us espresso.   They then introduced us to the flour in the
attached picture.  By Molino Dallagiovanna .... a Vera Pizza Nepoloitana approved flour. See the logo in the
top right corner.  But he explained, you cannot make pizza at home in a 500 degree oven with this.  We only sell to
restaurants with wood fired ovens.  It is unbleached and "Farina di grano tenero"

4 g protein per 100 g   about 13.33%,  no malt

they claim much superior in a wood oven to Caputo.    We are excited to try it and will report.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 04:30:47 PM by Brent-r »
Brent

Offline Matthew

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 04:55:08 PM »

What do they charge for this?

today we went pizza shopping to MSM Fine Foods on Hwy y in Concord.
We went there specifically to get Stanislau 7/11 tomatoes.

We discovered that they only sell in commercial quantities and the big cans were not
for us.

They supply restaurants mostly but when the guys discovered we were real pizza enthusiasts
they warmed up and real friendly, made us espresso.   They then introduced us to the flour in the
attached picture.  By Molino Dallagiovanna .... a Vera Pizza Nepoloitana approved flour. See the logo in the
top right corner.  But he explained, you cannot make pizza at home in a 500 degree oven with this.  We only sell to
restaurants with wood fired ovens.  It is unbleached and "Farina di grano tenero"

4 g protein per 100 g   about 13.33%,  no malt

they claim much superior in a wood oven to Caputo.    We are excited to try it and will report.

Offline Brent-r

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 05:09:49 PM »
to try to get over the "commercial only" barrier we bought 6 x 1Kg bags @ $2.25 each
and 6 cans La Torrente 800g tomatoes @ 2.60 each and some other goodies to get the
total near $ 100 (Cdn $ cash of course)
We are trying the tomatoes in chili in tonight's dinner.
I don't think these guys are set up to ship.  They deliver themselves to local grocery stores
(like Garden Foods in Bolton) and restaurants.  Its a small business in an industrial unit, mostly family from
what we saw.

http://www.dallagiovanna.it/en.html
and their pizza flours at
http://www.dallagiovanna.it/pizzas.html  (page is slow to load)

On the web site they claim it is perfect for cold fermentation.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 05:18:57 PM by Brent-r »
Brent

Offline Matthew

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 08:15:04 PM »

I occasionally teach at the School of Italian Pizza & saw this flour last time I was there. It was the focaccia version.  They have quite a few specialty flours, it would be interesting to see how they perform. 

Matt

to try to get over the "commercial only" barrier we bought 6 x 1Kg bags @ $2.25 each
and 6 cans La Torrente 800g tomatoes @ 2.60 each and some other goodies to get the
total near $ 100 (Cdn $ cash of course)
We are trying the tomatoes in chili in tonight's dinner.
I don't think these guys are set up to ship.  They deliver themselves to local grocery stores
(like Garden Foods in Bolton) and restaurants.  Its a small business in an industrial unit, mostly family from
what we saw.

http://www.dallagiovanna.it/en.html
and their pizza flours at
http://www.dallagiovanna.it/pizzas.html  (page is slow to load)

On the web site they claim it is perfect for cold fermentation.

wordpress