A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: SD RT in Pizza Party 70x70 New User  (Read 9270 times)

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Bella Pizze!
Re: SD RT in Pizza Party 70x70 New User
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2018, 11:58:04 AM »
Hello Pizzaiolos!

Friday night I again made 4 pizzas for additional experience.  My wife and I can't eat that many but the neighbors are happy!

Same basic premise as the week before (above), 2 IDY and 2 sourdough.  Same dough formulas as above.  I did the bulk ferment on the SD 6 hours longer than before.

All the doughs opened nicely and stretched easily.  All were very tasty and probably the best I have made since getting the new Pizza Party 70x70.

The first was basic Margherita, no picture.

(1) Salami, (2) Sausage, (3) Ricotta and Pesto.
Pizza Party 70x70 WFO/Saupto Floor

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Bella Pizze!
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2018, 09:26:55 AM »
Pizzas tasted great.  Still, not enough leoparding but charring on the bottom.  Lacking  la cornicione del gusto!  I don't have the saupto bricks.  Deck at 904F. 

Sauzer's delicious recipe for Quattro Formaggi!

Offline SAUZER.ITALY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2018, 10:06:41 AM »
Hi my Friends  :D, 4 formaggi pizza will be very good  :pizza:

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Bella Pizze!
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2018, 08:24:54 PM »
In my search for a better cornicione, I did a midweek bake.  I raised the hydration level to 66% at Craig's suggestion.  I did a simple 18 + 6 ferment and proof using .1% IDY.  I made sure my deck was at 900 degrees.I found the higher hydration dough was a little more difficult to handle.  It did not open as well as doughs in the past but it could have also been under fermented.  Results were pleasing.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 08:26:31 PM by sk »

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Bella Pizze!
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2018, 07:59:11 PM »
Hello Pizza Makers!  Here are my results from 11-2. 

Caputo Blue
Hydro 66%
Salt 1.5%
IDY .2% (after discussions with ICE and RDBEdwards, this may be to much)

Was shooting for 24 hours bulk and 6 hours in balls at RT.  After 8 hours in bulk it looked to be moving to fast so I put it in the fridge.  Took it out and balled it for 4 hours.  Total was still 30 hours total.

Pizza was quite good.  Probably my best yet but no match for the masters on this forum!  I will show the dough in bulk for comments.  Deck was 905 on the IR thermometer.  As you will see from the bottom, I could use the Saputo bricks.  Otherwise, I was pleased.

I

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
  • 5 years and closer to. . a really Good Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2018, 11:15:52 PM »
Looking at the top . . . . .  A good looking pizza! Sorry about the bottom . .  I believe Craigtx has suggestions for doming the pizza to get it off the floor and to cook the top before the bottom scorches. There must be quite a few PizzaParty owners, without the biscotto floor, post a few questions, to see if you can alleviate the bottom temperature.
My IDY % is higher now in the lower outside temp time, just increased it to .02% for 24 hours at 21 C. I like the 24 hours because basically I have little patience and am not at the point where my pizzamaking will benefit from 48 hours, kinda like my using IDY instead of a culture . . . I want to reduce the variables and get my hands on the dough, launch, cook and with luck, eat!
PizzaParty 70x70, saputo floor

Offline SAUZER.ITALY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2018, 04:15:01 AM »
 :pizza: :pizza:The pizza is beautiful !! , as you said exact "ice" the amount of yeast vaia according to the temperature (outside, inside of your home and salt) .. the pizza is cooked uniform but the bottom tends to "black" is the classic problem of non-refrigerators suitable for high temperatures, if I could replace it with SAPUTO it would be a great job. Congratulations on the cut section of the cornice.

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Bella Pizze!
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2018, 02:16:50 PM »
ICE, yes Craig has advised doming earlier in the process along with many other helpful suggestions.  I started raising it off the deck with the turning peel at 15 seconds but would have to let it touch the deck again to turn.   I'm thinking Santa will bring me bricks this year instead of other gifts!  Good idea about posting the question which I will do.

As an aside, do you have a WFO or gas fired?  If WFO, do you have a problem with the front getting a lot of soot from the smoke?

Sauzer, thank you for the kind complements!  The cornicione is a component I have been working towards.  I have natural leavening but as ICE said, I am trying to eliminate variables.  I have enough variables with time, temp, amount of leavening and a WFO!   :-D 

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2018, 03:13:40 PM »
Sk, my PizzaParty is the wood fired version and yes, the top front does get blackened, a look back a few posts will show what it looks like now after a few years.

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Bella Pizze!
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2018, 09:06:04 AM »
Mine looks much the same even though I try to clean it off each time.  In looking for the post I must say I saw many, many beautiful pizzas!! You give yourself much to little credit!!

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Bella Pizze!
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2018, 08:34:53 PM »
Making progress but a long way to go.

Using a copycat of Craig's workflow for RT SD pizzas. 

Caputo Pizzeria Flour
63% HR
1.5% salt, not what Craig would do but I like less sale.
2.1% SD

Water, dissolve in salt, whisk in culture, add flour, mix to generally smooth, bulk for 36 hours at 62+/-2F. Balls in bags for 8 hours at same temp and final 2 at ambient.

I attempted to run my firebrick deck at 850 and used rice flour on the peel to launch.  Also tried to keep the pizza in the same spot as I turn but I'm a rookie at that as well!!  My previous pizzas all charred on the bottom in the past and this was good progress.

Results were very tasty pizzas. The cornicione was evident, leoparding was good, crumb was only fair at best.  The doughs opened easily and were quite easy to stretch.   

Results I would like to achive.  A more airy cornicione and more rise in the center.  Note how thin the Quattro Formaggi is in the middle.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 01:12:35 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Bella Pizze!
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2018, 11:14:03 AM »
Hello Pizza Makers!

Making progress, still learning.  Results from 11-17.

Formula and workflow

Caputo Pizzeria Flour
63% HR
1.5% Salt
8.0% Ischia SD

Water, dissolve in salt, whisk in culture, add flour, mix to generally smooth.
24 Hours - bulk at 60 degree temp; balls for last 6 hours at ambiant temp ~68 degrees.

My best dough yet.  I think I like this formula workflow as my new go to. 

Comments please!  Very soft dough, opens so easily with my hands that I can just push it open on the bench.  No stretching required at all.   So soft it is hard to keep from getting to thin but is very resistant to tearing.  Gets a bit out of round transferring to the peel for launch.

Pizzas are not nearly as aesthetically pleasing as Ice, Sauzer, Don Luigi, Craig or others.  However, still very tasty, fun to make and guests find them delicious compared to the local pizzerias!

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Bella Pizze!
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2018, 11:09:23 AM »
We had a pizza bake last night.  I upped the hydro to 65% using Caputo Pizzeria 00 and Ischia natural yeast, 24 hour total ferment, 6 hours in balls.  The bulk ferment was probably a bit to chilly.  I put the bulk in my garage overnight and it was probably in the high 50s as opposed to TxCraig's 62 degrees on his chart.  My best guess is this dough was actually under fermented.  A picture of the dough after 6 hours in the ball is shown.  Still, it opened and stretched ok.  I have had better cornichone on other pizzas in the past so from that stand point, no progress.

I cooked the QF first and it was money!  Not much cornichone but the trade-off was I did not burn the bottom.  My sausage and mushroom had more conrnichone, no where near the pizzas from others, but at 425-450 c on the deck, it burns. 

Still, all the pizzas are delicious, just not so attractive!!

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Bella Pizze!
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2019, 09:00:22 PM »
Hello Friends:

Much to report from tonight's bake.  Three differing pizzas.

Caputo Pizzeria 80%
Caputo Chefs Flour 20% - for more of a chew requested by my wife.  She is more of a New York style lover.
62% hydro
2.5% salt

First pie made with .05% IDY
24 hour ferment, last 6 in a ball
Opened well, no issues.

If you look at my progression, I think good progress.  Nicer shaping and cornicione.  Still, a long way to go to be with the better pizza makers on this forum.

2nd and 3rd pies made with Ischia starter (LM) 12%
26 hour ferment, last 6 in balls - one in Tupperware, one on wood

??--Help Requested--The doughs did not stretch out as much as anticipated.  They did not reach the edge of my 12 inch peel.  Also, the cornicione I thought was more doughy than chewey.  Should it have fermented longer or is it just poor technique?

Other thoughts - I used BelGioioso Burrata on the second and third pizzas.  I won't do that again.  It melted down like cottage cheese.  Also, I found Pastene Ground Tomatoes.  I found them to be quite good straight out of the can.

I really like pizza making and experiementing.  IDY, LM, different tomatos and cheeses.  Not the way to make small fine tuned adjustments towards excellence but fun nevertheless!

« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 10:45:58 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline TXCraig1

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza is not bread.
    • Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2019, 03:42:25 PM »
??--Help Requested--The doughs did not stretch out as much as anticipated.  They did not reach the edge of my 12 inch peel.  Also, the cornicione I thought was more doughy than chewey.  Should it have fermented longer or is it just poor technique?

Looks like you are making great progress. With only 6 hours in balls, it's not surprising that they are a bit harder to stretch. I always to a double stretch. I open the balls about 80% of the way, top the pies, then drag them onto the peel or slide it under the pies. Then I do a final stretch out to the size I want. The short rest allows for the gluten to relax some making the last bit of stretching easier.
"We make great pizza, with sourdough when we can, baker's yeast when we must, but always great pizza."  
Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Bella Pizze!
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2019, 05:49:10 PM »
Thank you Craig!  As always, you provide very good advice and tips for better pizzas!

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2019, 06:15:49 PM »
Very nice Scott! Nice looking Pizza and they have the cornichone you have been looking for. Odd though that we both have the same time in ball and I have little difficulty with the stretch after 18 hours in bulk. It still seems crazy the white pies seem pale, and not just your or mine, it seems so common.
I look forward to seeing the next bake.

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Bella Pizze!
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2019, 09:52:20 PM »
Thank you Greg!  I was pleased with this bake.  The IDY ball actually stretched with no problem.  It was only the balls that were made with LM that were tight.  I did mean to mention the white pie was pale as you mentioned.  It had some leoparding but not nearly as dark as the tomato sauce pies.  And you are right, it seems a common theme among most white pizzas.

Offline SAUZER.ITALY

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2019, 03:47:58 AM »
Very good ! :pizza:  the first pizza (pictured) is very nice .. cooking is excellent. I do not know the starter ischia, but normally the problem of extensibility can be caused by the excessive closure of the pan or by the few hours of "appretto"

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Bella Pizze!
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2019, 07:22:28 AM »
Grazie Renato!

The Ischia starter is a culture many American pizza makers are using that is obtained from Ischia Island, hear Napoli.  I started my LM from that culture.  Thank you for the advice regarding appretto.  Next time I will let the dough in balls rest more.

Hope to see your beautiful pizzas again soon.