A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Neapolitan Pizza in Marietta, Georgia  (Read 15023 times)

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Belle Pizze!
Re: Neapolitan Pizza in Marietta, Georgia
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2019, 09:40:29 PM »
Nice bake tonight for a rookie.

Following the advice of Icelandr, TXCraig1 and Pete-zza is working well.  Also, much time studying the experts on this forum.

Caputo Pizzeria
62% Hydro
2.5% Salt
.035% IDY
18 hours bulk, 6 hours ball, room temp, ambient temp 67 degrees (19.4c), a bit cooler overnight hours.

I host a large pizza party in March.  I have always used a local Italian deli/market for my dough in the past.  That was cooking pizza on my Big Green Egg at 600 degrees.  This year I want to use my new Pizza Party WFO.  I'm not quite confident with my own dough yet.  Tonight I purchased a dough to experiment with in the WFO.  The picture of the Margarita is with the deli dough at 750 degrees.  The next two are the pizzas with my dough as described above baked at 875 degrees.  As you can see from the cornicione side view, the dough is just a bit lacking in airyness but still very tasty.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 09:47:41 PM by sk »
Pizza Party 70x70 WFO/Saupto Floor

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
  • 5 years and closer to. . a really Good Pizza!
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2019, 11:09:49 PM »
Nice looking Pizza for National Pizza Day!
It is so much fun having the Pizza Party, an hour to heat to temperature and away you go. I never encountered the Big Green Egg, but fought with trying to get a Bakerstone Box to temperature! Progress has been made!
PizzaParty 70x70, saputo floor

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Belle Pizze!
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2019, 07:40:13 PM »
If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, here it is.  My attempt to make Icelandr's beautiful Prosciutto, Spinach, Mozz and Smoked Mozz creation.

With the standard floor in the Pizza Party, I have learned 800-850 degrees is best.  Not quite the color of many on the forum but also saves the bottom from being burned.

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2019, 09:59:06 PM »
That is a very fine looking pizza!
The standard stones in the oven are hard to overcome when trying to get to temperature, I think Craig’s suggestion is to lift it off the floor and if not actually doming it, just to cut the contact with the stones. I say that knowing I forget every time to dome!
 The pizza keeps getting better, should be a good pizza party this year with your dough!

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Belle Pizze!
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2019, 07:47:43 PM »
My report tonight is one good and one not so good.  No pics of the not so good!  ::)

Caputo Pizzeria, 80%; Caputo Chefs Flour 20%
62% Hydro
2.5% Salt
.0225% IDY - I backed this down from .035
18 hours bulk, 9 hours ball, room temp, ambient temp 64 degrees, 69 degrees for last 3 hours of the 9 in balls. ( My schedule dictated this weird timing.)

The dough opened nicely and spread easily into the skins.  Perhaps a little to easy.  My dough balls were 260 grams and they went right over the edge of my 12 inch peel.  Lesson from tonight, smaller balls.

First pie launched with floor temp at 850 degrees. Cooked in 60 seconds flat.  Good color, not burned on the bottom.  But, little cornicione.  I think it may have needed a little more heat and more attention to my stretching technique.

Second pie stretched even a little further.  It did not go oblong off the peel.  My fire management was lax and I think I lost some heat and had no top fire.  The end result was the turning peel tore a hole in the pizza.  It finished cooking and was eaten but will not be shown!  Lesson #2, be more diligent on fire management.

I'm glad I recently read a text by TXCraig1 who said it took him 3 years to make pizza he was satisfied with.

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Belle Pizze!
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2019, 10:04:55 PM »
Hosted our annual pizza party for a few friends after an annual running event.  I made doughs for 12 pizzas which is the most I have ever prepared. We had perfect weather and the Pizza Party WFO was perfect as a centerpiece for the gathering.  We were far more interested in drinking wine and eating than picture taking but all the pizzas were perfectly acceptable.  A few photos were taken so I only offer two below.  Not the best looking pies but all so delicious.

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2019, 01:29:17 AM »
Looks like success to me, a party, wfo, pizza and wine, what can be better, hope you had time to enjoy both the food and the baking.

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Belle Pizze!
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2019, 08:51:52 AM »
Thank you Greg!  I intentionally kept the hydro low and the doughs cool to be sure I could handle them.  I did not attain a blue ribbon quality cornicione  or leoparding but the pizzas were delicious.  The friends were all thrilled watching the fire and pizzas cooking in 60 seconds.  We made all sorts of tomato and white pizzas and everyone got to pick their own toppings.  Along with several bottles of good Chianti Riserva, it was a great evening.  Eating good food with good friends is as good or better than the perfect pizza in appearance!!

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Belle Pizze!
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2019, 09:00:03 PM »
A beautiful spring evening and a good bake tonight.  In an attempt to be disciplined and make only small changes, I stayed with Icelandr's wise guidance.

Caputo Pizzeria
62% Hydro
2.6% Salt
.02% IDY
18 hours bulk, 6 hours ball, room temp, ambient temp 68 degrees.

Lesson learned tonight, also from Icelandr, fire management.  I kept the floor at 850-875 and was sure I had a flame over the top.  I took my time and made sure each time those attributes were present.  Both pizzas are similar, one with salami and one with sausage.

As always advice or constructive criticisim is welcome.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 09:04:18 PM by sk »

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #49 on: April 14, 2019, 10:56:49 AM »
Scott, they get better with each bake!
Having to be concerned with the bottom burning on the standard floor adds another element to be aware of as you bake as if we need another. I look forward to your next bake!

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Belle Pizze!
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2019, 11:58:01 AM »
Scott, they get better with each bake!
Having to be concerned with the bottom burning on the standard floor adds another element to be aware of as you bake as if we need another. I look forward to your next bake!
Thank you Greg.  Definitely have to just barely lift the pie off the stones pretty quickly.  I think that slightly limits the cornichon but keeps it from charring.

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Belle Pizze!
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2019, 09:24:11 PM »
A nice bake tonight.

Caputo Pizzeria (80%)
Marino Farina Biologica Tipo 00 (20%)
63% Hydro
2.6% Salt
.02% IDY
18 hours bulk, 7 hours ball, room temp, ambient temp 68 degrees.

Raised the hydro to 63% at Icelandr's suggestion.  Not sure if it was that or the Marino mix but the dough was super sticky.  I was pleased I did not totally mess it up as it was sort of at the limit of my rookie skills to stretch out.  Not perfectly round by any means!  Turned out delicious though.

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Belle Pizze!
« Reply #52 on: April 26, 2019, 09:06:15 PM »
A nice bake tonight.

Caputo Pizzeria (80%)
Marino Farina Biologica Tipo 00 (20%)
62% Hydro
2.6% Salt
.02% IDY
18 hours bulk, 7 hours ball, room temp, ambient temp 70 degrees.

It's getting warmer and the dough really had a lot of activity.  Perhaps I should look for this more often.  Pizzas turned out great.

That's just a little bit of breaded eggplant on top, not burned cheese.

Offline Arne_Jervell

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2019, 03:43:57 AM »
Nice work it looks wonderful!

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Belle Pizze!
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2019, 11:05:36 AM »
Thank you Arne! 

An interesting read on your last experiment.  Thanks for posting.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 11:11:18 AM by sk »

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Belle Pizze!
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2019, 09:00:44 PM »
Took a trip to Antico Pizzeria tonight.  I wanted to compare one of the better Neo pizzas to mine. 

Pies were 16 inches.  The mozzarella looked shaved and was kept cold.  The doughs were flexible and elastic.  The cooked pizzas were very thin in the middle but had a nice but not overwhelming cornicione.  The color was great but not bold in leoparding.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 10:52:50 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline vdempsey

• Keep calm and make pizza.
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2019, 10:17:23 PM »
Scott,

How did you like Antico Pizzeria's pizzas?

Honestly, your pies look better and I bet taste better too!

Vida
Vida - Naturally leavened pizza made at home electric oven.

Offline Icelandr

• Supporting Member
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2019, 11:02:52 PM »
Have to agree with vdempsey, a perusal of your pizza and others on the board have more interest to me. Did they really serve on sheet pans? Sorry Scott, I hope it was a good experience for you. An evening out, a nice red wine . . . .

Offline vdempsey

• Keep calm and make pizza.
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2019, 01:48:18 AM »
Have to agree with vdempsey, a perusal of your pizza and others on the board have more interest to me. Did they really serve on sheet pans? Sorry Scott, I hope it was a good experience for you. An evening out, a nice red wine . . . .

Icelandr,

Good catch on seeing the sheet pans.  I find that rather peculiar that they would serve pizzas that way.

Vida
Vida - Naturally leavened pizza made at home electric oven.

Offline sk

• Supporting Member
  • Belle Pizze!
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2019, 07:16:01 AM »
Vida and Greg:  It was an interesting visit.  I had not been there in a long while.  Yes, they served them on large sheet pans lined with parchment or some sort of waxed paper.  Not plates, go figure.  However, they are 16 inch pies.

I was surprised by the size of the cornicione and amount of leoparding.  I honestly did expect a bit more, although it was not anything bad.  Our friends who have had my pizza thought the crust was slightly softer than mine.  Of course Greg knows of my trials and tribulations with my firebrick deck.  That being said, one liked the slight crispiness of my pies.  On the downside, my wife liked the flavor of the dough better than mine.  I really feel it was a matter of a higher salt content.  She also thinks the bottom did not have the slight charred taste that mine have.  The doughs are made offsite and there was no one available to ask about their formula which I had hoped to do.

All in all, it was a fun visit.  Pizza, Friday night out with my bride, a little red wine.  What could be bad!!

Happy Piiza making my friends!

wordpress