A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Tom Lehmann's NY Style Pizza  (Read 855674 times)

Offline edward05

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Tom Lehmann's NY Style Pizza
« Reply #1200 on: March 09, 2019, 12:27:46 AM »
@Pete-zza

Just made up a 12" batch just balled it up and put it in the fridge going to take it out at 2hrs and should be good at 1hr room temp

Took me 3 trys tho always kept coming outta my mixer really runny was using low setting for a few mins and putting it on high, But then i tried a folding setting for 3 mins then switched it too a kneeding setting for bout 6 mins came out perfect it peeled right off the hooks Total ball weight was 334G

Then pie it and put toppings on it
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 12:32:01 AM by edward05 »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #1201 on: March 09, 2019, 09:07:48 AM »
Thank You pete

Ill be using a mixer with bread hook / Dough hook, How long in the mixer like on low speed then up the speed ?

Also should i add dry ingredients to mixer and slowly added in the water and oil?

EDIT

Also once all mixed up i then place on a slight floured surface For a nice ball then place in oild bowl and cover for a couple hrs

What if i want to put it in the fridge ?

Do i put in fridge 1st for a few hrs, Then take out about an hour before i'am going to use it?

Or do i leave it in oiled bowl for 2 hrs then take out of bowl, Wrap it and put it in the fridge?

Also pete could i get same for this ? This looks so yummy  ;D
https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=576.0

Joseph,

It perhaps was good that you got to experiment with your dough. There are countless ways of preparing dough and they will vary based on the hydration of the dough, the type and model of mixer, whether oil or other liquids are added to the dough, and so on. And for certain types of doughs, especially those with low hydration values, I actually prefer to use my food processor. Since you are new to pizza making, failure is inevitable but, in my opinion, it is a good thing since failure and its analysis usually leads to success if you keep at it.

In my own case, my preferred method of preparing a basic dough like the Lehmann NY style dough using my basic KitchenAid stand mixer with a C-hook and flat beater attachment is as follows. First, I stir the yeast (IDY) into the flour, and I stir the salt in the water. I then attach the flat beater attachment. I add the water to the mixer bowl, and gradually add the flour/yeast mixture to the bowl with the mixer at low to medium speed. I keep gradually adding the flour/yeast mixture until all of the flour/yeast mixture has been taken up into the dough ball and the flat beater clears the sides of the bowl. I then switch to the C-hook and add the oil and knead at medium speed. That will usually take about 5-6 minutes. There are members who use autolyse and other rest periods at different points in the preparation of the dough, both in bulk and in balls, and some members use a series of stretch and folds. But for an emergency type of dough that you want to make, these measures take up a fair amount of time and are unnecessary.

Since the dough formulation you are using is for an emergency type dough, it is intended to be used to make pizza within a few hours of making. And the dough is intended to be kept at room temperature until ready to use. If scheduling matters interfere with that measure, you can put the dough in the refrigerator but it will ferment quickly even in the refrigerator because of the high finished dough temperature and the large amount of yeast. So, you should monitor the rise of the dough carefully. If you want to make a refrigerated dough, you will want to use a different version of the Lehmann dough recipe intended for that purpose. Emergency doughs are what professionals use when something happens that renders their regular dough unusable, such as forgetting to add the yeast or salt or an overnight power failure. So emergency doughs serve a useful purpose. But for those of our members just want to make a pizza fast, an emergency dough is a good idea even though the quality of the finished pizza will not be as good as one make the usual way.

Peter

Offline DreamingOfPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1202 on: March 12, 2019, 01:14:02 PM »
Here is my 17-18" 3 day Lehmann with autolyse, made with a food processor. Sorry about the lack of cheese, it was in fact due to a lack of cheese and good preparation on my part. I underestimated the size of the pies I was making. I had a hard time stretching too as you can see from the un eveness shown in the undercrust shot. Also, need to work on my bake time and oven position. Sauce needed more water too.
It tasted great. I especially liked the chewy yet crisp undercrust texture I got.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 01:15:49 PM by DreamingOfPizza »

Offline Gam_gee

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1203 on: April 07, 2019, 02:47:00 PM »
I tried Lehmanís dough recipe for the first time today. Tasted great. I think I may have overcooked a little though as it was more crunchy than chewy.

Offline iLLEb

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1204 on: July 04, 2019, 06:12:44 AM »
I am currently making my NY style pizza from Tony Gemigniani's book and some adjustments to it. How does it compare to the Tom lehmanss NY pizza?

What are the thoughts about addind diastatic malt to the flour (1%). It seems to give me an greater lift and overal better taste but i have yet to do some proper tests.

Offline vdempsey

• Supporting Member
  • Keep calm and make pizza.
« Reply #1205 on: July 04, 2019, 09:08:00 AM »
I tried Lehmanís dough recipe for the first time today. Tasted great. I think I may have overcooked a little though as it was more crunchy than chewy.

Looks good to me Gam_gee!  :pizza:

Vida
Vida - Naturally leavened pizza made at home electric oven.