A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Mixer with Higher Capacity than KA  (Read 341 times)

Offline twojs

• I Love Pizza!
Mixer with Higher Capacity than KA
« on: September 16, 2018, 09:22:57 AM »
Hello All.

I have been lurking here for years.  Rarely post as there is so much content already.   This forum is amazing.   

I am looking for a new mixer with a higher dough capacity than a standard Kitchen Aid.   I make pizza about 3 times a month.   My dough balls are 436g each and I typically make 8 pies.   (word is out)  Currently I have an old (40yr) KA that I am pushing to the limit.  I can make a 4 ball dough = 1744g.   So, I have to make 2 batches.   Also the Mixer is starting to sound a little rough.

Ideally, I would like a minimum capacity for 10 pies.  Total dough ball weight of 4360g (9.6lb). 

I found a couple ideas from this forum, but am looking for more advice.

On a related note, we are looking to replace our Cuisinart as well.  It has so many safety features built into the lid and bowl that it is impossible to clean.     I use this to shred cheese (regular blade works better than shredding blade), but it also used for many kitchen tasks.

Here is what I found:

Bosch Mixer
     - https://boschmixers.com/product/bosch-mum6n10uc-universal-plus-stand-mixer-800-watt-6-5-quarts-with-blender-cookie-paddles-and-large-slicer-shredder/
     -advertises a 15 pound dough ball capacity
     - may also act as a replacement for Cuisinart.

Hakka 10 qt
     - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GJ851R6/?tag=pmak-20
     - Will I be happier with something like this long term?
     - There is also a 5 qt, that might meet my needs.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
-JJ

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
Re: Mixer with Higher Capacity than KA
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 10:22:14 AM »
check out htis thread on the Bosch.  https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=49680.0   I have one and really like it but haven't made that big a batch in it.   Perhaps Mike (Essen1) or other members have & the answer might be there.   
Deb

Offline deb415611

• Lifetime Member
Deb

Offline mjmccoy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 12:19:45 PM »
At the usage frequency and dough weight, you might also consider the commercial (8 quart) KitchenAid. You can use standard KA attachments similar to Cuisinart stuff.
Enthusiastic home pizza lover...

Offline Essen1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 10:30:43 PM »
Hello All.

I have been lurking here for years.  Rarely post as there is so much content already.   This forum is amazing.   

I am looking for a new mixer with a higher dough capacity than a standard Kitchen Aid.   I make pizza about 3 times a month.   My dough balls are 436g each and I typically make 8 pies.   (word is out)  Currently I have an old (40yr) KA that I am pushing to the limit.  I can make a 4 ball dough = 1744g.   So, I have to make 2 batches.   Also the Mixer is starting to sound a little rough.

Ideally, I would like a minimum capacity for 10 pies.  Total dough ball weight of 4360g (9.6lb). 

I found a couple ideas from this forum, but am looking for more advice.

On a related note, we are looking to replace our Cuisinart as well.  It has so many safety features built into the lid and bowl that it is impossible to clean.     I use this to shred cheese (regular blade works better than shredding blade), but it also used for many kitchen tasks.

Here is what I found:

Bosch Mixer
     - https://boschmixers.com/product/bosch-mum6n10uc-universal-plus-stand-mixer-800-watt-6-5-quarts-with-blender-cookie-paddles-and-large-slicer-shredder/
     -advertises a 15 pound dough ball capacity
     - may also act as a replacement for Cuisinart.

Hakka 10 qt
     - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GJ851R6/?tag=pmak-20
     - Will I be happier with something like this long term?
     - There is also a 5 qt, that might meet my needs.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
-JJ

I have used KAs for the most part of my pizza making journey and while the doughs came out okay, the Bosch took them to another level. Not only is the mixing process shorter with a Bosch, it's also more thorough. It delivers exceptional doughs compared to a KA, imho.

All I can say is that I will not returning to a KA mixer or any planetary mixer, for that matter.
Mike

ďAll styles of pizza are valid. I make the best Iím capable of; you should make the best youíre capable of. I donít want to make somebody elseís pizza.Ē ~ Chris Bianco

Offline norcoscia

• Supporting Member
  • I really Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 09:07:07 AM »
At the usage frequency and dough weight, you might also consider the commercial (8 quart) KitchenAid. You can use standard KA attachments similar to Cuisinart stuff.

I have the 7qt it has the same motor as the commercial (8 quart) KitchenAid just a slightly less deep bowl - 4360g would be a bit too much for it IMO. I would look to find a 20 qt at an auction.

Maybe you are near a pick up point for one of these

https://www.pciauctions.com
Norm

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2018, 10:13:42 AM »
Im going to copy and paste an old post of mine....

The largest batch I have made in my Bosch universal plus with the plastic bowl is an 11 pound batch.   I found that with a batch that size I could not fit all the ingredients in the mixer if they were all put in at the same time.   To get around this I put in all the ingredients that could fit and had to leave out some of the flour.   I turned the machine on for a few seconds which compacted the ingredients.  After that initial short mix there was enough room to fit the remaining flour in there.