A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: My first attempt at no-knead bread  (Read 494 times)

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
My first attempt at no-knead bread
« on: September 27, 2018, 10:33:32 PM »
Hello everyone,

This topic motivated me -> https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=54280.msg545368#msg545368 (see my 3rd reply).

Easy, quick and good, 3 words very seldom linked together !!

So I just made a batch :
100% flour Caputo Cuoco (500g)
80% water
0.03% IDY
2% salt

Stirred it with a wooden spoon. Hope I didn't stir too much.

Rest till tomorrow morning (24H @21°C).

Fingers crossed !
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
Re: My first attempt at no-knead bread
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 11:35:24 PM »
Yael;
When making dough by this process and using IDY, the IDY should first be suspended in a small amount of water at 95F/35C, and then added into the remainder of the dough water. Failure to do so can result in erratic results. Once biochemical fermentation does its thing you should be able to scrape the dough out of its container and form it into a ball, then allow the ball to rest at room temperature until it can be easily opened into a skin (this usually takes about 3-hours).
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 02:38:47 AM »
Yael;
When making dough by this process and using IDY, the IDY should first be suspended in a small amount of water at 95F/35C, and then added into the remainder of the dough water. Failure to do so can result in erratic results. Once biochemical fermentation does its thing you should be able to scrape the dough out of its container and form it into a ball, then allow the ball to rest at room temperature until it can be easily opened into a skin (this usually takes about 3-hours).

Hello Tom,
Thank you for your message. I did mix the yeast in the 20°C water first. I thought about warm water but it was already too late  :-X
I'm going to make bread first, so I will not have to open the dough into skin! (or do you mean also "skin" for bread making ?)
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
    • Dough Doctor
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2018, 05:25:34 PM »
Yael;
When making pizza we open the dough ball into a "skin" which is ultimately topped with sauce and dressed to the order to make a pizza, but when making bread we usually just bake the dough from a round ball shape, or we can flatten it slightly and roll it into shape as when making Italian bread, French bread or baguettes. When making a typical American or British pan bread the dough is rolled flat, about 1/4-inch thick and then rolled (like a jelly roll) into a loaf shape which will be final proofed and baked to make the customary loaf.

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 10:55:25 PM »
Here is the result !

After 22H the dough proofed, I quickly shaped it adding dusting flour to fit the pans.
I baked around 50 min (30 +10 +10) at around 230°C, I was afraid the crumb would remain underbaked.
I put in the oven a glass of water, maybe not compulsory with this high HR.
The result is quite ok, maybe we would get a better one with malt, and an acidic taste from sourdough would also bring a lot of personality.

The crumb is still somewhat wet.

I think that one thing that could make a big difference also is to proof the last hour in a commercial proofer at 30°C, I guess this would bring some lightness to the final product?

The result is quite pleasing compared to the difficulty level ! I'll make again.

Any suggestion to improve it ?

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 12:10:59 AM »
That looks good, Yael. I’ve never thought about putting it in a loaf pan. Picture below is fairly typical,of how this turns out for me. It is crustier than your pictures show. The crumb on mine is on the dense side but not wet. I do not have a crumb shot of this one. It’s barely dense, but it is slightly so. There is nothing I know about baking bread or pizza that would help you, but wanted you to see why I have stuck with the method.

-Tony
I find it easier to imagine a diet of nothing but ice cream than one without ice cream

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
  • If my pizza is wrong, I don't want to be right!
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 01:29:38 AM »
Any suggestion to improve it ?

For the last 10-15 minutes of the bake, pop them out of the pans and set them on the stone (or screen, if not using a stone) to let them dry out a bit more. They should 'sing' as they cool.
In grams we trust.
My wood-fired NY thread: Pizza Thursday

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 06:14:47 AM »
Tony,

Thank you for your message, indeed your bread looks crispier than mine. What was the flour ? Was it malted ? Next time don't forget to take a pic of the crumb  :angel:

Steve,

Thank you for your suggestion. My oven does have a stone, I actually thought about doing so but I was afraid it would burn the bottom. Next time I try. Also, next time I may try a higher hydration + malt.

Thank you all for your help :)

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 11:44:51 AM »
Gold Medal bread flour. I did not add any malt and don’t know if the flour is malted. Somewhere I probably have a crumb shot from a similar loaf. I’m looking forward to seeing how you tweak yours.
-Tony
I find it easier to imagine a diet of nothing but ice cream than one without ice cream

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2018, 06:25:40 AM »
Hello guys,

Here is my new attempt, and I have to say I'm pretty happy with it !!

So basically it's the same, just changed IDY to 0.04% (RT was lower), added 0.5% home made malt and 3% dry sourdough (Italmill Enerpizza).

I put the dough in trays 2H before baking, and the last hour I put in hotter place (29°C instead of 21°C) - I think this last detail is very important.
Total fermentation 23H instead of 24H last time.

I tried 2 kinds of baking : one in the silicon mold and one directly on a baking aluminum plate.

Baked 30 min for the one on the plate, 40 for the silicon one.
The one on the plate was lighter, less wet. I guess the silicon mold keeps a lot of steam - and the heat doesn't go through very well either.

Waiting for your comments !

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2018, 07:49:49 PM »
 The bread looks good. It’s nice to see you enjoying and improving the method.
-Tony

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2018, 01:09:36 AM »
I have one working tonight that I plan to take my son’s home tomorrow to serve with chili he plans to make. I will try to remember to get a crumb shot once we cut into it. It has been 4-5 months since I have made one.
-Tony

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2018, 06:25:17 AM »
I have one working tonight that I plan to take my son’s home tomorrow to serve with chili he plans to make. I will try to remember to get a crumb shot once we cut into it. It has been 4-5 months since I have made one.

Looking forward to it !!

I don't have many opportunities to eat a lot of bread recently so I can't make too many tests  :-D
But I definitely want to try breads with "character" : rye, wholewheat... And also higher hydration as a friend suggested me.
And I will try this method for pizza as well.
 ;)

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2018, 07:03:17 PM »
This did not come out as well as I would have liked but I said I would post it. Despite its heavy damp crumb it was good with chili. Usually this comes out higher and more well rounded with a drier crumb.

-Tony

Offline Dwain

• Bon Appétit!
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2018, 05:49:28 PM »
This did not come out as well as I would have liked but I said I would post it. Despite its heavy damp crumb it was good with chili. Usually this comes out higher and more well rounded with a drier crumb.

Do you think it should have baked longer?
~ May your glass be ever full. May the roof over your head be always strong. And may you be in heaven half an hour before the devil knows you're dead. ~  Big Deck BBQ and Brew

Online foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2018, 08:57:14 PM »
Do you think it should have baked longer?
Probably so, although the temp, time, and total weight was identical to other (better) loaves. It could have benefitted from a longer time before slicing. It went into a car wrapped in a towel 45 minutes after I removed it from the oven. It was only a 5 mile ride, then sat on a cooling rack for about 30 minutes before slicing. I have not been able to do much baking since late May so I’m out of practice and possibly did one small thing differnet without realizing it. What I like about this bread is the contrast between the hard, almost burned in places, crust and the creamy (usually) interior.
-Tony

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2018, 07:34:49 AM »
Not bad !
But indeed it seems it could have had a better spring oven, the dough seems compressed. How much was your RT ?
I guess you will eventually figure it out  :D

Well, I made a new test, but for pizza this time !
Same batch as last time, shape into balls 4H before baking (and a couple of foldings before balling).
RT 23-24°C.
300g for the classic pizza, the rest of the dough for the pala pizza (700~800g, I cut in two and I made 2 of them).

I'm very satisfied with the pala pizza!
The classic pizza had a hard time keeping round shape though...