A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Same-Day Poolish Dough  (Read 326 times)

Offline hotsawce

Same-Day Poolish Dough
« on: October 07, 2018, 02:08:26 PM »
I am still experimenting with poolish but looking to make a dough that is mixed same day (with overnight poolish) that will be ready to use in a few hours BUT still have a decent useable life at room temperature (with the option to refrigerate if not used.)

Does anyone have any suggestions to make this happen? It's seeming kind of impossible right now. For it to be ready in a few hours I'd imagine it'd need to be very active which would likely mean the same dough would also not have a long useable life at room temperature....

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
Re: Same-Day Poolish Dough
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 10:47:37 PM »
Lou...you might read through this recipe. It uses a low percentage of IDY so it works well for same day (with overnight poolish) as well as a multi day CF. I do increase the poolish to 30% rather than 25% as noted in the recipe. This is the work flow that I always use. The oil and salt percentages as well as hydration can certainly be modified for personal preference. I also think you could mitigate the need for the stretch and folds by increasing the mixing time of even using a higher protein flour.

http://doughgenerator.allsimbaseball9.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=8
« Last Edit: October 07, 2018, 11:02:35 PM by CaptBob »
Bob

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 12:34:02 AM »
Are you adding yeast to the final dough in addition to poolish? I also assume you're using the equivalent amount of IDY as the recipe calls for ADY?

Also, just read through your thread a bit - are you using 30% of the formula flour or 30% poolish total? Ie, if your entire recipe is 1000g flour, are you prefermenting 300g flour with 300g water? and later adding 700g of flour and the remainder of water?

Lou...you might read through this recipe. It uses a low percentage of IDY so it works well for same day (with overnight poolish) as well as a multi day CF. I do increase the poolish to 30% rather than 25% as noted in the recipe. This is the work flow that I always use. The oil and salt percentages as well as hydration can certainly be modified for personal preference. I also think you could mitigate the need for the stretch and folds by increasing the mixing time of even using a higher protein flour.

http://doughgenerator.allsimbaseball9.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=8
« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 02:11:16 AM by hotsawce »

Offline Heikjo

• Lifetime Member
  • A sour dough makes a happy me
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 03:01:48 AM »
A dough is usable for a period of time, depending on how fast it is fermenting, but you can obviously not get the same rate of activity from a same-day dough with 10 times the amount of leavening agent, unless you drastically lower the temperature.

Do you often need a finished dough in a few hours, but then end up not using it after all?

Offline CaptBob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 08:48:41 AM »
Are you adding yeast to the final dough in addition to poolish? I also assume you're using the equivalent amount of IDY as the recipe calls for ADY?

Also, just read through your thread a bit - are you using 30% of the formula flour or 30% poolish total? Ie, if your entire recipe is 1000g flour, are you prefermenting 300g flour with 300g water? and later adding 700g of flour and the remainder of water?

Lou.. I'm not seeing where the recipe says ADY but I typically use .05% IDY. I prefer to use half of the recipe yeast in the poolish and half in the final mix. I know some will use all of the yeast in the poolish but I prefer to split it.

Yes, 30% of flour as you cited in your example and the remainder of the ingredients for the final mix.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2018, 09:44:28 AM by CaptBob »
Bob

Offline G Pizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 09:43:38 AM »
This year I 've made several pizzas with an overnight polish and then pizza the following late afternoon. I really like using the poolish and the pizzas come out very very good. 
The Poolish is 500g water, 500g flour and 1/4 tspoon IDY. The poolish will sit out at room temp over night and is ready about 8 hours later.
If it ferments too long it will have an alcohol smell to it. But I've still used it. 

The final dough is 500 g flour, 250 g water, 20g salt and no yeast added. I make 5 pizza balls with this recipe. Sometimes I let the pizza balls sit in the fridge for a couple of hours, I prefer to work with cold dough.

This has been the recipe I've used this year but I am always learning new things on this site and eager to try new techniques. I have a family of 5 as my taste testers. 
Prior to the poolish method I would make a pizza dough and then let it rise in the fridge for 3 days and then make pizza balls/pizza.

Not sure if this helps anyone. Also, I'd like to try a new recipe/process for killer pizza dough, if anyone has thoughts or ideas. I've been reading the new York style dough thread lately.

Offline hotsawce

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 02:28:26 AM »
Ideally, I would like to ferment the dough largely at room temperature - with a predictable point of when it is useable and keeping it at roughly the same state of usability for 5 or 6 hours - with the option to fridge it down if I absolutely have to.

I haven't done much work with room temperature doughs so I don't know if this is possible. I know all of my sourdough had a very short window of ideal usability. I'm not really sure if that's possible with room temperature fermentation. Space is it a premium, and I could start the dough the night prior. Just not a ton of refrigeration space.

It sort of seems like Brian Spangler at Apizza Scholls gets a long useable life out of his poolish dough? I'm not sure what their process is like - or how long it can sit in balls for.

A dough is usable for a period of time, depending on how fast it is fermenting, but you can obviously not get the same rate of activity from a same-day dough with 10 times the amount of leavening agent, unless you drastically lower the temperature.

Do you often need a finished dough in a few hours, but then end up not using it after all?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 02:31:59 AM by hotsawce »

Offline HBolte

• Lifetime Member
    • 500px
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 11:15:02 AM »

It sort of seems like Brian Spangler at Apizza Scholls gets a long useable life out of his poolish dough? I'm not sure what their process is like - or how long it can sit in balls for.

As I read the first part of your post I was thinking you should talk to Brian. He'd probably help you out.
Hans

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 05:04:32 PM »
Lou, you're right there. The recipe Bob posted is very close to what Brian does ( at least when he checked in here and confirmed Peter's deconstruction work)

As far as iI understand it's just what you're looking for, including being able to slow it down in the fridge, though at what point that decision would need to be made would take some experimenting. It won't take much yeast at all, and it's fine to use all the yeast in the poolish...or if you prefer to split  it between poolish and final. I use a 42% poolish, at least by my definition, which is 42% pf the total flour 

wordpress