A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Great low carb flour video  (Read 292 times)

Offline TMB

• My mission: Low Carb Pizza that taste great!
Great low carb flour video
« on: October 10, 2018, 08:25:41 AM »
Found this on YouTube, pretty good at explaining low carb flours and what they do and are used for

:chef:

Live, Ride and Always thank God!
6 Big Easy's
1 Rec-Tec grill/smoker
1 Home Built pellet grill
Working on a pellet pizza oven
Grill2Go grill
Lots more but not enough room ;)

Offline petef

Re: Great low carb flour video
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 05:33:22 AM »
Thanks, that was quite informative.

FYI: I have not made any new attempts at low carb pizza or breads in over a month now. My weight loss had stalled in all of Aug 2018 and then in Sep I discovered Dr Jason Fung on youtube who provided me an advanced education on how the human body operates in regards to metabolism & weight loss/gain. Long story short, Intermittent Fasting is the key to both weight loss and reversing insulin resistance. I'm currently fasting 15 to 20 hours per day and typically consuming 800 to 1200 low carb, high fat  calories in the small window of 9 to 4 hours daily. Guess what???  It's working!!! 

I'm shocked on how easy it is to fast for long periods of time because there is no intense hunger as one would expect. I only seem to get hungry once I break the fast.

Anyway, I'm back on track to losing weight and hopefully a total reversal of type-2 diabetes so that I will be able to tolerate regular pizza once again. :)

I have not given up on making reduced carb pizza and will be doing more of that in the near future. I just lost focus over the past 6 weeks due to concentrating on fasting and some software I'm writing that allows me to track mainly CARBS & CALORIES.

I will say, previous to all this, I did have some good success with making a reduced carb pizza crust that actually tasted like pizza using a combo of bread flour and cauliflower. The trick was to ferment the cauliflower in vinegar and infuse it with garlic & onion flavor which eliminates that nasty cauliflower taste. So I'm still occasionally eating that pizza from my frozen pizza supply and will probably not be baking any new pizza until it's gone.

One other thing that is quite amazing. That ground up cauliflower that I fermented & flavored with onion & garlic, it holds up for weeks in the frig. No mold, no stink, it just remains the same for weeks. And that's in it's dehydrated state. That's a big plus if you grind down an entire head and just what to use a small portion at a time for experimenting with new recipes.

Keep posting!  I'm at least reading all your low carb posts. Hopefully we can get more members here excited about making low carb pizza that actually tastes like pizza.

--pete--
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 05:38:54 AM by petef »

Offline TMB

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 08:08:36 AM »
Thanks, that was quite informative.

FYI: I have not made any new attempts at low carb pizza or breads in over a month now. My weight loss had stalled in all of Aug 2018 and then in Sep I discovered Dr Jason Fung on youtube who provided me an advanced education on how the human body operates in regards to metabolism & weight loss/gain. Long story short, Intermittent Fasting is the key to both weight loss and reversing insulin resistance. I'm currently fasting 15 to 20 hours per day and typically consuming 800 to 1200 low carb, high fat  calories in the small window of 9 to 4 hours daily. Guess what???  It's working!!! 

I'm shocked on how easy it is to fast for long periods of time because there is no intense hunger as one would expect. I only seem to get hungry once I break the fast.

Anyway, I'm back on track to losing weight and hopefully a total reversal of type-2 diabetes so that I will be able to tolerate regular pizza once again. :)

I have not given up on making reduced carb pizza and will be doing more of that in the near future. I just lost focus over the past 6 weeks due to concentrating on fasting and some software I'm writing that allows me to track mainly CARBS & CALORIES.

I will say, previous to all this, I did have some good success with making a reduced carb pizza crust that actually tasted like pizza using a combo of bread flour and cauliflower. The trick was to ferment the cauliflower in vinegar and infuse it with garlic & onion flavor which eliminates that nasty cauliflower taste. So I'm still occasionally eating that pizza from my frozen pizza supply and will probably not be baking any new pizza until it's gone.

One other thing that is quite amazing. That ground up cauliflower that I fermented & flavored with onion & garlic, it holds up for weeks in the frig. No mold, no stink, it just remains the same for weeks. And that's in it's dehydrated state. That's a big plus if you grind down an entire head and just what to use a small portion at a time for experimenting with new recipes.

Keep posting!  I'm at least reading all your low carb posts. Hopefully we can get more members here excited about making low carb pizza that actually tastes like pizza.

--pete--
I will, got a few recipes to post and looking forward to feed back on them.         Just gonna take a few days, got a lot going on right now and still dealing with headaches from a wreck  :(
6 Big Easy's
1 Rec-Tec grill/smoker
Grill2Go grill

Offline misterschu

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 11:09:13 AM »
The trick was to ferment the cauliflower in vinegar. That ground up cauliflower that I fermented

JFYI, this is vinegar-pickled cauliflower you are describing, not fermented cauliflower

Offline TMB

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 11:16:33 AM »
This one is as close as I have come to real pizza taste so far.  Although it was made in an air fryer which help time wise but the crust was as good as the cheap pizza you get at the lower pizza chains (no names will be given)  ;)

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=54038.msg542613#msg542613
6 Big Easy's
1 Rec-Tec grill/smoker
Grill2Go grill

Offline petef

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 12:58:26 PM »
JFYI, this is vinegar-pickled cauliflower you are describing, not fermented cauliflower

How does one differentiate between pickled & fermented?
I "soak" it for 24 hours in vinegar before dehydrating it.

---pete---
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 01:01:00 PM by petef »

Offline steelplayer

• wailuaveggie
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 03:00:01 PM »
Quick vinegar pickling doesn't produce bacterial growth.  Whereas fermenting with salt or kefir, yogurt, konji, etc. produces live good bacterial growth.  Think kimchi, no vinegar just salt.
Tom

Where ever you are, you are fives miles from somewhere else...

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 09:43:36 PM »

Love ALL THINGS FERMENTED, kimchi and it's American cousin sauerkraut at the top of the list!!! :drool:
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 09:46:24 PM »
And yes, not to side track, very interested in a DECENT low carb crust that will ALSO please other eaters!!
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Online jkb

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 10:38:48 PM »
Love ALL THINGS FERMENTED

Bread, cheese, adult beverages, pickles...   All the best things are rotten.
John

Offline TMB

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 08:15:09 AM »
And yes, not to side track, very interested in a DECENT low carb crust that will ALSO please other eaters!!
I have a few I'm working on and I feel a lot of folks wont know the difference other than texture but no two crust have the same texture ;)
6 Big Easy's
1 Rec-Tec grill/smoker
Grill2Go grill

Offline wotavidone

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 03:30:33 PM »
Love ALL THINGS FERMENTED, kimchi and it's American cousin sauerkraut at the top of the list!!! :drool:
Sauerkraut is American??? :o

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2018, 03:45:11 PM »
I stand corrected, German!  :-[ And probably goes back too China or something :P I just know I eat plenty here!!!
Jon

Offline wotavidone

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2018, 05:11:38 PM »
I stand corrected, German!  :-[ And probably goes back too China or something :P I just know I eat plenty here!!!
Yeah I Googled it - Chinese originally they reckon.
I love it. Had some on a hot dog for dinner last night.
Hanging out for a decent bratwurst sausage to have it with though.

Offline wotavidone

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2018, 05:13:20 PM »

The trick was to ferment the cauliflower in vinegar and infuse it with garlic & onion flavor which eliminates that nasty cauliflower taste.
I like the taste of cauliflower. Am I in the minority?

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2018, 10:26:26 PM »

Love it, raw, cooked, pickled, cheese sauce, mashed, soup.............
Jon

Offline petef

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2018, 01:49:44 AM »

Keep in mind, we are talking about using cauliflower to make a pizza crust. If you follow most cauliflower pizza crust recipes, the final result might taste good (if you like CFL), but it actually tastes more like Eggplant Parmesan than it does pizza.

My goal is to use the CFL for it's low carb properties and try to neutralize the taste so that it actually tastes like pizza.  So I'm guessing that the vinegar works to neutralize that strong CFL taste and the garlic & onion help to mask any remaining CFL taste. Then by introducing a relatively small amount of bread flour back into the recipe, it helps more as a flavoring agent. So far, with this approach, the flavor profile is more like pizza, but the texture still needs improvement.

--pete--

wordpress