A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: New Member showing off my Chicago-style.  (Read 575 times)

Offline Swiss Frank

• I Love Pizza!
New Member showing off my Chicago-style.
« on: October 11, 2018, 01:20:22 PM »
I fry 200g of hot Italian sausage in big chunks. I also fry 100g smoked beef sausage and 100g smoked pork sausage, and have maybe 150g of pepperoni in the base. Although the smoked sausage is already safe to eat, I pan-fry that to blacken the edges a bit.

The crust is 300g Tipo-00 Blue Sack pizza flour, 205g water, 4.5g yeast and 6g salt. 10 minutes knead, 2 days in fridge, 45-60 minutes out of fridge.

The dough is par-baked 12-13 minutes at 250C to make it just about done though not browned.  Use pie weights.

Sauce is: 1/2 onion, 400g (1 can) whole tomatoes (not the sauce unless it looks necessary), 250g   tomato paste (1 can),   3 huge garlics, 1.5T Italian seasoning

Assembly: 300g Mozzarella; pepperoni and sausages; tomato sauce; dust with pecorino romano.

Then bake 250C until done.

Two eighth-slices have over a quarter pound of meat.  I've never eaten three slices in a sitting...

I've compared this to Tokyo's Devilcraft, which Chicagoan foodies tell me is Chicago style.  In comparison the Devilcraft pizza is yellow, way too sweet, and not much flavor or crunch. 

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
Re: New Member showing off my Chicago-style.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 12:17:11 PM »
Good start.  For best results use all purpose flour, corn oil and less water.  Search the posts on here.  They are fabulous.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline TheBeardedFatGuy

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 10:21:26 AM »
I think there comes a point where adding more types of meat in larger quantities like this doesn't allow any individual meat to shine. It also detracts from the other elements like sauce, crust and cheese.  The meats you've used sound and look delicious, but I'd recommend cutting them down to as much as a quarter of what you're using.  I'd also add onion, mushroom, green pepper and black olive, but that's my pleasure zone and may not be yours.

Offline drmatt357

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 10:49:56 PM »
Where in Chicago do they have this style of pizza?

Offline pythonic

• It's Pizza Time
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 07:58:57 PM »
Where in Chicago do they have this style of pizza?

Pretty much everywhere.
If you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.

Offline Swiss Frank

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 10:14:09 AM »
I think there comes a point where adding more types of meat in larger quantities like this doesn't allow any individual meat to shine.

You may not appreciate the scale here: each of those chunks of meat is big enough you only get one or two in a bite.  The pork and beef I both get from White Smoke here in Japan and while they have the same "form factor" the taste is night and day different, and there's no confusing them for the thin-sliced pepperoni nor the Italian sausage chunks.  I'll definitely "meat" you halfway on this: you wouldn't want four meats that were hard to discern.  But lay your fear to rest in this case: it all shines.

(Likewise when making a Quattro Formaggi, I pick four cheeses you'd never misteak for each other, and put them in large enough chunks you know what you bit into: mozzarella, taleggio, smoked provolone and dolce gorgonzola.  You wouldn't want four similar cheeses, or pieces so small it just mixed together into homogenous goo.)

I'd also add onion, mushroom, green pepper and black olive, but that's my pleasure zone and may not be yours.

We totally do that mix too for the Chicago-style, like an American would call a "Supreme".  I've tried to think of other toppings (or in this case fillings??) but can't think of anything worth trying in the frying pan pizza.  (We have about a dozen combos we use on the thin ciabatta-style pizza though.)

Offline Swiss Frank

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 10:20:27 AM »
For best results use all purpose flour, corn oil and less water.  Search the posts on here.  They are fabulous.

I'll check them out and learn what I can, thanks!  I've tried the corn oil and all-purpose and less water (and some sugar too) and this suits my taste a bit better than real Chicago pizza in Chicago.  AS you say though a fellow member's pictures may inspire me!

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2018, 11:27:11 PM »
We totally do that mix too for the Chicago-style, like an American would call a "Supreme".  I've tried to think of other toppings (or in this case fillings??) but can't think of anything worth trying in the frying pan pizza.  (We have about a dozen combos we use on the thin ciabatta-style pizza though.)
Spinach and ricotta is a good combination provided you like those two ingredients.
-Tony
Enjoy every sandwich. - Warren Zevon