A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Any Good, Spicy Pepperoni?  (Read 667 times)

Offline Mako13

• I Love Pizza!
Any Good, Spicy Pepperoni?
« on: October 11, 2018, 11:25:36 PM »
I've used the Gallo, and Margherita brand pepperoni, and while both are decent, they don't really have the spicy, pork flavor I'm looking for, that the restaurants here in California seem to have - Frankie, Johnnie, & Luigis, or Giorgio's Italian restaurants, in Silicon Valley, and Round Table Pizza, throughout Cali.

I've even tried pan-frying the Gallo a bit, to cook it a bit more, and crisp it up, since I thought perhaps that might be part of the issue.
 I'm cooking at home in a regular oven, and am limited to 500 degrees, when it decides to work.  Usually, can't switch immediately, if at all over to broil, to finish the top, since it is so undependable.

I've tried compensating a bit, by adding red pepper powder to my sauce, and pepper flakes on top, as needed, but it just isn't the same.  Probably too much beef in the pepperoni, I suspect, as opposed to pork.

I've seen the jalapeno pepperoni too, but can't imagine that flavor profile would be what I'm looking for.

I suspect the Italian restaurants probably get their pepperoni from Sysco, or another local, restaurant supplier.

Are there any decent pepperoni brands that are a bit spicier than these, and that can be bought at a grocery store, or deli?

If not, any other options for getting a decent, spicy pepperoni out on the West Coast?

Offline Speed_dmon

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Any Good, Spicy Pepperoni?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 02:51:38 PM »
What part of California are you from?
In SoCal, we're lucky to be surrounded by several italian markets that I frequent every time I need to buy meats for my pies.

If you want spicy, definitely look for Calabrese salami! (I think the brand my local shop carries is Mastro) It has been the closest thing I could source to mimic the Diavola pizza at my favorite VPN spot.
The deli is able to slice it as thin/thick as I want.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 03:38:52 PM by Speed_dmon »

Offline jsaras

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 03:31:44 PM »
What part of California are you from?
In SoCal, we're lucky to be surrounded by several italian markets that I frequent every time I need to by meats for my pies.

If you want spicy, definitely look for Calabrese salami! (I think the brand my local shop carries is Mastro) It has been the closest thing I could source to mimic the Diavola pizza at my favorite VPN spot.
The deli is able to slice it as thin/thick as I want.

Mastro Calabrese is better than most pepperoni.  Donít let the oblong shape throw you off.
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Mako13

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 08:37:14 PM »
Norcal, up near Sacramento now.

Thanks for the recommendations.

How does that compare to sopprasseta?

I've never tried the Calabrese salami.  Generally, I don't like salami, but do love pepperoni.  Go figure.

Do the Calabrese and sopprasseta taste more like salami, or pepperoni?

Do they need to be cooked a bit before adding to the pizza, to enhance their flavor, and get rid of some of the fat, or can you just cook them on the pies?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 08:51:44 PM by Mako13 »

Offline Speed_dmon

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 10:00:59 PM »
I pretty much use hot soppressata and calabrese interchangeably. I cook directly on the pie. It's worth a try so you can compare it to pepperoni.
If you find it in the deli, you can ask for a bit of a thicker slice comparable to pepperoni.

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 12:29:57 AM »
Thise are two great looking pizzas, speed_dmon!
-Tony