A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Homemade Ardore gas fired pizza oven  (Read 487 times)

Offline miykael

Homemade Ardore gas fired pizza oven
« on: October 01, 2019, 04:18:14 AM »
I'm planning to make homemade pizza oven like or similar to Ardore gas fired pizza oven...does anybody tried already?

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline Andrew t

• I am picurious
Re: Homemade Ardore gas fired pizza oven
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 11:18:03 PM »
Yael can you tell me more about the oven you built it looks good
. I followed the links and have seen the pics but I'm not see exactly what the chamber is made from.

Thanks

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 12:33:08 AM »
Yael can you tell me more about the oven you built it looks good
. I followed the links and have seen the pics but I'm not see exactly what the chamber is made from.

Thanks

So first, it is (well, was) a commercial electric oven, quite cheap in China, and I have some friends who bought about the same one in Europe so there's a big chances it's also in the US. It was already old and I have a new one (one deck) so I didn't mind breaking it.
I custom made a gas burner (easy and cheap to make in China). The pros: cheap and quick; the cons: no security. It's a simple basic system: you open the gas, light a match and here we go! (like a paella burner if you know more about how it looks). Then you just turn off to switch off the flame.
So I put the burner in the oven (inside stone 40x40cm, so there's room). I removed the resistance which was on the middle (and already broken).
The first bake I was afraid the stone above would break, but it didn't. The steel walls may move a little bit, but the stone was well set and it didn't move.
The pros of the whole system: I can reach a very high temperature and bake Neapolitan style pizza at home (I have both LPG and natural gas burners), it was cheap; the cons: you still have to be careful and keep an eye on it. Also, the shape (square) is not made for a lateral flame, so you need a bigger flame (within reason) to heat the opposite side. The oven itself can be very hot.
Now that I used the Roccbox, I don't think that my system is much more dangerous; even though it's hot on the outside it can handle these high temperatures. Just check between bakes that there's no "change" (wall that moved too much, stone about to fall I don't know...).
Cheers!
“Learn the rules like a pro so you can break them like an artist” - Pablo Picasso

Offline Andrew t

• I am picurious
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 01:19:17 AM »
Thanks Yael. I'm a huge fan of your Roman style work and this is an impressive DIY.

Offline Yael

• French Pizza !
    • my Wechat page
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 04:15:26 AM »
Thanks Yael. I'm a huge fan of your Roman style work and this is an impressive DIY.

Well I didn't do anything spectacular, just put a gas burner in my oven  :P
Thank you anyway  :)