A D V E R T I S E M E N T

Author Topic: Ardore gas fired pizza oven space saving - The Begin!  (Read 101101 times)

Offline Edward Lem

• I Love Pizza!
Re: Ardore gas fired pizza oven space saving - The Begin!
« Reply #1620 on: November 28, 2019, 07:56:57 PM »
Ed,  I was in the same boat. Bought the Saputo but ended up wanting a crisper crust.  I had a 1 inch thick 18 by 18 cordierite stone,  and  cut it two to be the same size as the Saputo, took out the Saputo and put the Cordierite in its place and works fine.  IIRC ,  the cordierite was a tad thinner, but I had some bat high temp insulation, and put that on top of the stock insulation, and the cordierite is at just the right height.

Thanks for the feedback Barry.  Im going to retest it first with just 1 additional PizzaCraft Pronto stone on top of the Saputo stones first as suggested. If its too overcooked for my liking on top I will try your swap out of another layer of high temp insulation with the additional stone.  Thank you all for your recommendations!

Offline ARenko

« Reply #1621 on: November 30, 2019, 04:27:17 PM »
Thanks Simone for your continued recommended suggestions.  Thank you Hans B as well.  I thought about doing just that but does laying an additional stone on top of the existing Saputo stones which obviously increases the height closer to the roof/flames and thus cooks the top of the pizza faster than the bottom?  or after preheating, the flame setting must be adjusted to low when baking?  I'm going to give it a shot thanks all.
My current stone is 5/8" thick.  Before that I put in 4 smaller stones that were 1" thick on top of the Saputo stones.  1" caused more of a problem with launching than cooking because I sometimes hit the peel on the burner or doorway when pulling out. 

I did, and still do, have to shield the pizza from the burner with my turning peel, but I also do that sometimes when using the Saputo's.  My cornicione's on the cordeirite are thinner than the Neapolitans on the Saputo, so the net difference between cornicione and burner is negligible.  But the thin pizza (on cordeirite) is also less hydration than the Neapolitans, so I don't shield as much with Neapolitans.  I also turn down the burner because I'm cooking at a lower temp.  The center of the pizza is not an issue. 

« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 04:39:58 PM by ARenko »

Offline Edward Lem

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1622 on: December 04, 2019, 07:37:43 AM »
FYI, several people bought pizza stones to slide in over the Saputo stones. It's probably a cleaner solution than SS and gives more heating surface. http://www.californiapizzastones.com

As recommended sliding an additional stone over the existing Saputo stone worked great for me and obviously safer. (Using an extra PizzaCraft Pronto stone in the interim until newer square stone arrives)  I had no problem with the top overcooking.  As part of my final rotation I shut the flame off and rotated in intervals to seal firm the crust and crisp the bottom that I desire.  Thank you all for everybodys feedback. 

Offline ButteredPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1623 on: April 05, 2020, 07:18:50 PM »
Allo allo.

A friendly reminder to be careful!!!  I use one of the long-tipped lighters to ignite my ardore oven, and today for some reason, it didn't work, and instead of turning off the gas, I left it on, pulled the lighter out, inspected, and then put it back in - fireball flew out.  While my face wasn't directly in front of the opening, it was close enough to receive a little hot kiss from this oven.  It singed the hairs on my forehead, one eyebrow, and eyelashes.  The smell is terrible!  I am trying to reconfigure the oven placement to minimize the change of this happening again.  Also going to be way more careful.

Take care  :-[ ;D

Offline Jackitup

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1624 on: April 05, 2020, 09:52:12 PM »
😳
Jon

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

If you don't think you're getting what you should out of life.....maybe you're getting what you deserve       -the Root Beer Lady

Offline thowi

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1625 on: April 06, 2020, 06:41:03 AM »
I use one of the long-tipped lighters to ignite my ardore oven, and today for some reason, it didn't work, and instead of turning off the gas, I left it on, pulled the lighter out, inspected, and then put it back in - fireball flew out.

Strange. How's that possible?
The Ardore has a thermocouple that should shut down the gas flow when the oven is cold (unless you depress the gas dial).
Is your thermocouple/dial broken?
Sounds dangerous to me!

Offline ButteredPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1626 on: April 06, 2020, 09:59:12 PM »
Strange. How's that possible?
The Ardore has a thermocouple that should shut down the gas flow when the oven is cold (unless you depress the gas dial).
Is your thermocouple/dial broken?
Sounds dangerous to me!
I'll have to test that out, CAREFULLY OF COURSE, it's possible I was in an uncoordinated lapse and retained pressure on the dial.  I used to be able to do the jackie chan square circle thing, but sometimes the brain farts and that doesn't happen.   :o

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1627 on: April 08, 2020, 12:19:59 AM »
Allo allo.

A friendly reminder to be careful!!!  I use one of the long-tipped lighters to ignite my ardore oven, and today for some reason, it didn't work, and instead of turning off the gas, I left it on, pulled the lighter out, inspected, and then put it back in - fireball flew out.  While my face wasn't directly in front of the opening, it was close enough to receive a little hot kiss from this oven.  It singed the hairs on my forehead, one eyebrow, and eyelashes.  The smell is terrible!  I am trying to reconfigure the oven placement to minimize the change of this happening again.  Also going to be way more careful.

Take care  :-[ ;D
Sounds quite a bit like being in first 15 rows at a Rolling Stones concert when it begins!  :-D

In my ardore, I get a lighter like you mentioned lit and in place then turn on the valve with my left hand. A little awkward but relatively safe.
-Tony

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #1628 on: April 08, 2020, 11:14:42 PM »
Keep a tea candle handy....
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline tkmcmichael

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1629 on: April 12, 2020, 10:55:33 AM »
A couple sourdough cooked in the Ardore last night. Factory stone at 800-850 at launch. 64% hydration, 2.5% salt, 7.5% sourdough. 12 hr bulk, 6 hr balled.

Offline ButteredPizza

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1630 on: April 12, 2020, 06:52:59 PM »
In my ardore, I get a lighter like you mentioned lit and in place then turn on the valve with my left hand. A little awkward but relatively safe.

I figured out what happened.  As someone here mentioned, when not lit, the gas only flows with the dial pressed in.  I must have kept it pressed in, and leaned in towards the opening to listen for the sound of the gas and flame, and I probably leaned in too far (which is a result of how the unit is positioned.  That would explain why only my left side got licked by the flame.  Well, lesson learned! 

Offline Irishboy

• Always do it with passion
« Reply #1631 on: April 18, 2020, 07:48:01 PM »
A few in the adore
Josh

Offline foreplease

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1632 on: April 18, 2020, 10:52:32 PM »
A few in the adore
Those are beauties, Josh.
-Tony

Offline AFFOGATO

• Napoli! the best pizza in the world!
« Reply #1633 on: May 12, 2020, 03:33:00 PM »
Hello.

The Adore looks a good option, I'm looking for a small oven, does anybody know if New York Style can be cooked with the crispy bottom in the Ardore?

Simon.
    Could be possible to get a discount coupon, please.

Offline catalano20

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1634 on: May 25, 2020, 02:58:55 PM »
is available the natural gas version https://www.pizzapartyshop.com/en/portable-gas-fired-pizza-ovens-ardore-spacesaving/

I'm looking at buying my whole set on pizza party shop but seems a bit pricey. 

Offline skan

« Reply #1635 on: May 29, 2020, 11:15:06 AM »
Now to get back on topic...

3 pies from Sunday night baked in Ardore.

24 hr ferment around 65 F. 63% hydration (not accounting for the 10% SD starter which is 100% hydration). 6 hrs in balls. 310g dough balls.  The plate is 12" diameter, so pies are between 12" and 13".

I feel like I finally hit my stride with these bakes. No disasters. 

I fermented in plastic bins, with 1/2" 3/4" thick poplar on bottom.  Last time I tried this, the wood absorbed too much water and the balls dried out and skinned over on bottom. This time, they spent a shorter time in balls and I wet the opposite side of the wood (the side touching the plastic bottom).  This worked out really well and dough balls were close to perfect.  Almost no bench flour was used.

I recently read some advice by Txcraig1 which turned out to be very useful: open to around 80% on counter, dress, transfer to peel, final stretch. It was part of a discussion that linked to a video of a pizza place in Naples. Previously I was trying to stretch most of the way prior to the transfer.

Pepperoni was just under 3 minutes at around 750 degrees. Sliced mozzarella under sauce.

The other two were around 1 minute.

Isn't the second pizza too burnt on the bottom side?

Did you get those results with carbon steel?
I'd like to buy a stainless 304 baking steel. Do you think its conductivity is going to be enough?

Offline p.d.clue

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #1636 on: June 10, 2020, 09:14:30 AM »
Isn't the second pizza too burnt on the bottom side?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

It was a long time ago.  But yes, eventually I traded my stock tiles for the saputo tiles which are less conductive.

Did you get those results with carbon steel?
I'd like to buy a stainless 304 baking steel. Do you think its conductivity is going to be enough?

No, it was the stock tiles that came with Ardore.  I think stainless is less conductive than carbon steel.  Most people (including me) use carbon steel in home oven.  There is a thread dedicated to steel plates where I am sure it is discussed in detail: https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=31267.msg310998#msg310998

Offline Irishboy

• Always do it with passion
« Reply #1637 on: June 14, 2020, 10:48:35 AM »
Love my adore
Josh

Offline jsaras

« Reply #1638 on: June 14, 2020, 11:19:40 AM »
I love my Ardore, but now that it's no longer available in the US, should the thread be titled "The End"?
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline Jersey Pie Boy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1639 on: June 14, 2020, 04:36:02 PM »
LOL., Jonas...i just thought the same thing  :-D Finito